Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: mercedes diesel in my 07 rubicon unlimited  (Read 8867 times)

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
Re: mercedes diesel in my 07 rubicon unlimited
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 03:00:13 PM »
I think we scared him away...  :D

HeadHunter

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »
(%R&^%$*^!!!!!!!! ouch my eyes! oh god! What the hell did you do that for??!!!!

thats what Hummers are for. or Denali's, or maybe a Yukon....

and it was a RUBI. seriously. wtf.

yjcanibul

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 06:40:47 PM »
I'd wait and see how the mopar CRD crate engine pan's out if interested in a diesel swap especially since jeep already builds a jk overseas with it ... checkout the link on this somewhat ignored thread    http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=9918.0

I'm with Z on the percent that go offroad,  we see rubicons different than most consumers - I've read that in this era of luxary its considered to be the 'loaded' package and consumers like that without knowing its capabilities ...

Offline Z

• Baby Wheeler
  • Only in a Jeep!
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 07:58:53 PM »
someone can rescue it in a few years... when they are not "cool" anymore.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 10:12:32 PM »
That's our plan. We have the '04 2 door Rubi to play with now and a Cherokee we are going to be working with or supplementing or...    but eventually, our eyes are on a 4 door JK rubi to work with.

I've seen a bunch of YouTube vids and sites about this particular engine swap... seemed interesting, but beyond what I'm willing to do at this point.  Now if that guy that does hydrogen supplementation gets it to where it's commerical and usable offroad... *then* I'll be taking a more serious look.

Definitely document *every* little detail if you do the swap, as that will be valuable information!
2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline Mudhawg

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Rig Life
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2008, 02:59:32 AM »
i dont get why everyone had to hack on this guy about his jeep.... if he likes it thats all that matters... different strokes for different folks.... so he likes big rims and a lower pro tire... personally i think it looks decent as is
1984 Chevy 6" Lift 40" Boggers

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 07:26:38 AM »
i also agree. yes its a rubi but its his rubi. at least he bought a jeep
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
Now *there* is a slice of truth... the more people keep buying the Jeep marque, the more likely it will stay around, even with the changes to "civilize" it.  Heck, it may even lead to a more fuel efficient version that is still very offroadable sooner rather than later.

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 10:53:14 AM »
Now *there* is a slice of truth... the more people keep buying the Jeep marque, the more likely it will stay around, even with the changes to "civilize" it.  Heck, it may even lead to a more fuel efficient version that is still very offroadable sooner rather than later.

Funny how most of these comments are siliar in tone to when the ZJ's came out. :lol:

It's all in good fun, though, and most here should realize that....it's US that need to get used to the newer jeeps, not that there's anything wrong with them. 

I bet everyone said the same thing about the Cj5's when they came out, after years of flat fenders.  :)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

RUBI

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »
I'm gonna stay outta this one...............I guess I'm to biased in my opinions, in that I believe in "Purpose Built"
 You don't put perfume on a pig, same sex marriages...........etc. Somethings just are not right.

::)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 08:25:05 PM »
deleted, not relevant to the thread...my bad.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:20:58 PM by Spinalguy »
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

yjcanibul

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »
that title goes to me Tom,  I am the 'Thread Killer',  till now thinking my postings been blah and maybe to much common sense - let me prove it posting this ...

aint worried bout the wheels till my kids goto school in this

;)

edit - always like to include my name if I address someone directly ... more blah ... sigh ... this topic is now offically dead ...

Randy
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 09:02:18 PM by yjcanibul »

stuffed_in_a_locker

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »
Just cause you cant afford it or it isn't your taste RUBI, don't hack on it. If I didn't have plans for it, why would I be inquiring about dropping in a diesel? It has and will continue to go off road. I had a jacked up TJ before I bought this. My wife drives it most the time with our baby in the back seat so I wasn't going to put it up on anything bigger then the 33's for now. I'm getting her a Lincoln MKX eventualy and I will make the Rubicon into an on/off-road toy. I already have the suspension kit in my garage for when I put 37's on it with the 24's. I drive my Diesel F-350 everyday so the jeep will be a project. That 3.8 liter engine has got to go and I want some real feedback from people who know what they're talking about instead of a bunch of jealous tire kickers who don't have any good input to contribute.

Let's get back on track here. What is needed to do the swap? There was a 07 Rubicon diesel at sema with the 3.0 common rail diesel in it. Does anyone know of anybody who has done something similar to this before?

RUBI

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
 :-X Apperently someone is a bit sensitive  :D

stuffed_in_a_locker

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
A bit sensitive huh? Why are you posting in here if you aren't going to keep on topic. The question was not "what do you think of my rims?". Look at all the jacked up diesels you see around town. Do you think that any of those go off-road? Hell no. So why do they do it? They like the way it looks that's why. I like the way my rubicon looks and once I get my wife her MKX, and I can start really doing stuff to this, then I'm positive you will all like the way my rubicon will look once it's done and it will continue to go off-road. You think that because it has 24's it's incapable of going off road? It still has 33" tires on it, It's still a Rubicon and I don't plan on rock crawling with it anyways so a little mud won't hurt. Use your head before you start spouting off and making assumptions.