Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: mercedes diesel in my 07 rubicon unlimited  (Read 8851 times)

RUBI

Re: mercedes diesel in my 07 rubicon unlimited
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 10:35:02 AM »
UR right bout the post jacking ( my bad ) Sincere Apology  :-[  I agree 110% on the over juiced Monster trucks...they usually have a set of beans dangling off the receiver as well, and none of them would even go where a stock Rubicon would go for sure. YES....it's all a matter of taste to the individual, and I LOVE the big rims as well ( maybe on cars and such though....but that's me) $$$$$$$$  ... on a big set of wheels like that and then the rubber as well...that would be why I assumed it would never leave the pavement, thats just to much polished aluminum to gouge up on rocks n mud !!  I don't even use my stock Moabs on mine for summer outtings, again ...why bash em up. Nor am I into the Rock Crawling thing........maybe if I lived in Utah, Arizon and that was the terrain ......but , I don't.
The JKs are are every bit as capable as any or all of the older models ( been out with lots on the trails) ...even with the 3.8 they seem to have all the power one would need out wheeling. I was originally planning on a 5.7 Hemi swap myself......but consider the $30,000 already spent on a new Rube at the time ??? The only time I Truly find I'm lacking in power ( 4.o Litre) is on the Highway, specially slinging the 35s. I don't know that the diesel would give you that much better, maybe one should explore all the options on the 3.8 first ???  Headers, Hi Flow exhaust, Air intake, ( power adders ???) and gearing could be a big help also.
 I saw a TJ with spinners on it a year ago........and that wasn't my style either ....but, I guess to each his own.
 Once again though..........SORRY  :-[ ( jacking the thread, and hacking on personal taste)
I'll go out wheeling with anybody and anything just to get out there.  ;)

Offline Z

• Baby Wheeler
  • Only in a Jeep!
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 10:52:46 AM »
The JK at Sema if I am not mistaken was a 3.0 CRD out of a Grand Cherokee. There is a rumour that AEV is doing a kit, you may want to contact them.

I found the 3.8 pretty good off-road, but it is a bit underpowered on the street.

stuffed_in_a_locker

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
That's cool man. You're entitled to your own opinion but I just didn't want them in this thread. I was just posting on here to get some input on the diesel and it turned into a conversation about my wheels. I love mudding and trails and I got out a few times this summer with these rims and tires. A little bit of a rougher ride but I was still able to air down a bit. When the 37's go on, the ride will be much better but it's not all that bad as it is. I will always own a jeep and I will always be into 4x4ing and that's all that matters. Here's a picture of my last TJ and a picture of when I first got the Rubi and took it out with the jeep association.

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 11:09:17 AM »
The JK at Sema if I am not mistaken was a 3.0 CRD out of a Grand Cherokee. There is a rumour that AEV is doing a kit, you may want to contact them.

I found the 3.8 pretty good off-road, but it is a bit underpowered on the street.

See... now in the 2 door I find the 3.8 plenty... this Jeep has about as much jam as my Mazda 6 did... not as much top end mind you... but it accelerates fine...

...as for the diesel... what about importing the JK Diesel from Europe... just the motor I mean?  Shouldn't that just bolt in?  The specs on it are good IMO....

They do something weird with the front bumper too LOL
http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/index.html

stuffed_in_a_locker

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:43 AM »

Yeah I saw that. I would rather source out the motor myself and maybe buy the motor mounts, wiring, etc. from them to do it myself. I agree with you 100% on the power thing.

stuffed_in_a_locker

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »
See... now in the 2 door I find the 3.8 plenty... this Jeep has about as much jam as my Mazda 6 did... not as much top end mind you... but it accelerates fine...

...as for the diesel... what about importing the JK Diesel from Europe... just the motor I mean?  Shouldn't that just bolt in?  The specs on it are good IMO....

They do something weird with the front bumper too LOL
http://www.jeep.co.uk/wrangler/index.html

Now why wouldn't they offer that here? At least as an extra option or something. Instead we get only the caravan engine.

Offline Z

• Baby Wheeler
  • Only in a Jeep!
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2008, 11:14:19 AM »
Now why wouldn't they offer that here? At least as an extra option or something. Instead we get only the caravan engine.

I know, I would have opted for the CRD in a heartbeat.

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2008, 11:15:41 AM »

It's actually "coming" eventually.... they could not meet North American Emission Standards - so they could not offer it.  This is the excuse anyway.  Partly because of NA diesel having a larger sulfer count.  But they are testing it here ... and the rumor is it shall be offered in the next couple of years... if you want to believe that.  This is why I leased my Rubi... just in case...

But the 300 ft lbs looks kinda cool on that unit, huh?

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2008, 12:20:36 PM »
I used to think the same thing, but honestly, if I had the money to drop on a new 4 door for my wife that would never go offroad, I wouldn't see a problem in suiting it up like yours.

THAT said, back on topic:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/0803dp_2007_diesel_jeep_wrangler_rubicon_jk/index.html

`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2008, 12:23:03 PM »
As for the CRD eventually coming, Jetta TDI's are now going to be available again, and now inline with emission standards.  The CRD will not be far behind (say 2yrs at most).
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

yjcanibul

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:10 PM »
there is mostly only discussion on the web regarding a CRD transplant, one
forum there was a post on someone willing to sell the 'how to do it'  cookbook
? obviously an entrepenur type ... anything is possible with skill and/or $;

the 2.8 CRD that came in lib's was about 160hp and 280ft/lbs torque ,  from
what I have seen they were all mated to a auto trans made for the job;
this is the crate kit that mopar may release with adapters for the nv3550 trans
and others upto the task;

if I had a jk and this was of interest I would research the drivetrain and I'd pick
up a lib off ebay and do a complete swap then let the lib go back into the wild; 
Seems this would be cost effective ...

the thing I like about the kits if mopar produces is the fit/finish product should
include the little extras like how to get your gauges to work , trim rings etc as opposed to
trail/error - time wasted I dont have and alot of head scratching WTF?   I wouldnt
want my jk to look butchered when I was done ... you know the saying ... first 90% take
10% of your time and the last 10% takes 90% of your time ... or something like that ...

the 3.0 CRD at sema I believe was built by AEV in montana and mopar, it
puts out 260hp and a whopping 380ft/lbs of torque - this would require additional
drivetrain beef in the JK but would be sweet when done but its a wild departure from
the closer to stock CRD lib solution ...

Offline SmilinVamp

• Budget Lift
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2008, 02:39:05 PM »
Yah, the Euro JK is a 2.8 Litre.... probably the same engine... but with a manual only....

Offline lsm

• Winch Wench
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2008, 04:32:05 PM »
Has anyone looked at the sticker in engine compartment of a JK?  It has the CRD information listed along with the 3.8.  I just wish they would just offer it.
08, Stock, Jeep Green Rubicon Unlimited

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2008, 05:38:38 PM »
Burnsville threw a CRD into a JK, but the site has been removed.  Maybe some digging for those keywords might turn up something.  I saw the pictures, and it was really tight in there.

Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

RUBI