Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: tickets  (Read 4098 times)

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
tickets
« on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:34 AM »
so i got a flat tire on 80 av it was busy so i pulled over into a driveway to change it and a guy came with a pickup i thought "hey great i got help" he said he was going to call the cops and that he did the cops came wouldn't even listen to my side of the story saw that my jeep had dry mud on it claimed i was off roading and now i got a 300 ticket for trespassing and my truck impounded how hard would it be to fight this ticket? also the guy said "there's alot of holes to put you in out here boy" and his buddy on a tractor put a scratch stretching from my drivers side front bumper all the way across and it's about 4 inches wide he told the cops i hit a fence post and that's how i got my flat tire and scratches along my bumper.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 10:13:44 AM by .:.Dingman.:. »

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Re: tickets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
WTF??  :o :o :o
'95 YJ with a few mods

MB.Muffin

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
Go fight it. All you have to do is be like "Where's the cops proof?" if they say "the dry mud" be like... "if i was offroading and JUST got the flat when they pulled up, don't you think the mud would be WET?!"

it should be a simple ticket to fight. Depending on your judge. Definitely try to fight it... the worse that could happen is that the ticket doesn't get changed and you still pay the 300 dollars.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:00 AM »
alright thanks. even the mud on my seats was bone dry i flaked the mud off my rockers it was that dry.
 so far i paid:
 180 for the impound lot
100 for the tow
100 for a tow to my uncles shop
60 for a taxi to my house
all for getting a flat tire this really sucks.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
I would definitely give POINTS a call.  They are very good about defending tickets
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Whiskeymetal

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 12:50:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but that just furthers the thought that everyone has against cops when it comes to them dishing out the monthly quota tickets. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I definitely would not go down without a fight!
'99 With 31's

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
where were you earlier?
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

MB.Muffin

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »
I would definitely give POINTS a call.  They are very good about defending tickets

They might even be able to get you some money back for the tow and impound.. cause thats BS too.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 06:31:03 PM »
i was at the mall and before that i woke up. i will give points a call for sure

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »
so i got a flat tire on 80 av it was busy so i pulled over into a driveway to change it and a guy came with a pickup i thought "hey great i got help" he said he was going to call the cops and that he did the cops came wouldn't even listen to my side of the story saw that my jeep had dry mud on it claimed i was off roading and now i got a 300 ticket for trespassing and my truck impounded how hard would it be to fight this ticket? also the guy said "there's alot of holes to put you in out here boy" and his buddy on a tractor put a scratch stretching from my drivers side front bumper all the way across and it's about 4 inches wide he told the cops i hit a fence post and that's how i got my flat tire and scratches along my bumper.

Starting at the top, how far into the driveway? The city owns the first chunk of every property to the best of my knowledge.  Secondly, unless the driveway had signage posted indicating it was a private drive, then typically under the Highway Traffic Act, the driveway is considered semi-public. Too bad you didn't have a witness to him saying what he said, that's "uttering threats" - a criminal offense, though he could claim he was talking about your Jeep, not you personally.  Also too bad you didn't have a way to prove (before picture?) the scratch didn't exist before this happened.

I certainly would check with the 3-4 ticket representation people (Points being one of them) about the tickets and they may point you in the right direction regarding the fellow "giving false information to a peace officer" as well as malicious prosecution.   I absolutely *detest* bullies, and while he is probably sick and tired of people coming on his property and ripping it up, he needs to get his head screwed on straight about jumping to conclusions and lying to peace officers to get his way.

I wish you luck with this one... I get to hear it from the peace officers side some days where I work... tough line to walk and sometimes they believe the wrong person.  Been there myself when I was younger... had to call in a favor from a peace officer friend of my sister to smack some heads from inside the department to quit being dragged in for interrogation etc.

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 10:28:47 PM »
i was at the mall and before that i woke up. i will give points a call for sure

crap man,.. sounds like someone is out to bend you over without any lube!
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline JasonL_031

• Budget Lift
    • http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2449290
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »
wow that sucks sorry to hear i cant believe that hope all goes well now
1994 ZJ
6.5 inch custom lift
5.2L v8 with 5.9 exhaust
35x12.5r15 beadlocks
custom front bumper
98 leather interior
rugged ridge steering conversion
np231 tcase swap
HIDs
LED off road lights

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »
Starting at the top, how far into the driveway? The city owns the first chunk of every property to the best of my knowledge.  Secondly, unless the driveway had signage posted indicating it was a private drive, then typically under the Highway Traffic Act, the driveway is considered semi-public. Too bad you didn't have a witness to him saying what he said, that's "uttering threats" - a criminal offense, though he could claim he was talking about your Jeep, not you personally.  Also too bad you didn't have a way to prove (before picture?) the scratch didn't exist before this happened.

I certainly would check with the 3-4 ticket representation people (Points being one of them) about the tickets and they may point you in the right direction regarding the fellow "giving false information to a peace officer" as well as malicious prosecution.   I absolutely *detest* bullies, and while he is probably sick and tired of people coming on his property and ripping it up, he needs to get his head screwed on straight about jumping to conclusions and lying to peace officers to get his way.

I wish you luck with this one... I get to hear it from the peace officers side some days where I work... tough line to walk and sometimes they believe the wrong person.  Been there myself when I was younger... had to call in a favor from a peace officer friend of my sister to smack some heads from inside the department to quit being dragged in for interrogation etc.

i was about 10 feet into the driveway tops enough that somebody on the main drag could see if a car was pulling out of the driveway as to not block the view and cause a crash.
there was no sign .
i have a before picture of my jeep about 3 days before it happened.
and thanks I'll need all the help i can get.
I honestly believe that if i wasn't in a jeep they really wouldn't of cared.

Offline Tinkerer

• UberWheeler
    • My (OLD OLD OLD) website
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »
Ayup, like I said, he probably has had a bunch of idiots coming over from the neighborhood going "bogging" on his property, so he's already wound up like a clock spring for any kind of 4x4 types and the mud already on your vehicle fixed it in his mind even though it was dry.  It still doesn't excuse him making up stories to the cops.  Any good defense person will probably deal with the prosecutor before court, but if it goes to court, they will *roast* them in court. 

Things like "Was the mud wet or dry? Dry? How long do you suppose they were sitting there to let it dry like that?  So if it was that long, is it reasonable to say that they had been trespassing? Was the mud on the Jeep consistent with the dirt from the field? (Clay versus dark growing soil etc.) You assert they got the flat and damage from a fencepost, did you go inspect the fencepost? How much damage was done to the fencepost?  Is it reasonable for that much damage to a fencepost to have done that damage to the bumper?  How do you suppose a fencepost would leave a 4 inch scratch and nothing else? Was there residual transfer from the fencepost on the Jeep and vice versa to indicate that it was not already existing damage to the fencepost or the Jeep?  If you assert the Jeep was in the field tracking all that mud, were there obvious tracks from the field to the Jeep where it had come to the position you found it in? What about the direction the Jeep was facing? Was it consistent with it having come from the field with a flat tire?"   I could go on and on and on and on...   what a waste of the legal system, court time, taxpayer money etc. due to a lack of very basic investigative skills being applied before laying charges.

I scratch my head when I hear about things like this, wondering why the hiring process etc. for officers fails so miserably.  They aren't bad people, but to be honest, when you grab a really young person without the life experiences and stuff them into situations where a lot of thought, common sense and judgment is required, you are just asking for stuff like this.  OTOH, I've seen more senior officers show the same lack of thought process.

2004 TJ Rubicon 2.5" Cage Puck Lift
LT285/75R15 Trxus MT's
ARB Bullbar and Warn XD9000i winch
Garvin Wilderness Swingaway Rack
Cobra 75WXST CB, Yaesu FT8900 Ham
VE6PDB - usually on VE6RYC

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 08:06:57 AM »
Is there paint transfer from your jeep to the tractor?
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com