Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bridge on Lost Knife  (Read 3473 times)

Offline SOMETHING WICKED

• Budget Lift
Bridge on Lost Knife
« on: October 09, 2005, 08:47:21 AM »
How did it go after I left (sorry time ran out)? Did you guys get all of the decking on? Please post some pics so I can prove to the wife I wasn't just out playin' around! :D

FeatherFoot

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:15:44 PM »
Bridge?  What bridge?

It went great!  Finished about 7:30, gathered up tools in the dusk, drove out with headlights.  Tom, Ian and Scott left to help retrieve a high centered Ram as we were finishing up.  I have yet to hear how they made out.

I posted the following under the Thanksgiving run poll.

We have a bridge!

Thanks to a lot of effort from:
Ian
Dave
Tim
Blair
Tom
Martin
Scott

Abutments went in, the stringers were placed, decking nailed, and 4X6's anchored.
The drill cratered with four top wing holes to drill, so there are four grade retainer logs to attach and the abutments to be filled to make it driveable.
Dave will get a backhoe in to do the backfilling.

It was a perfect day for building, although the ground had a surprising amount of frost for the first hour or so. When we arrived at the trail head, the reserve decking planks we had left from last time, were gone, but it was apparent they had been removed very reciently. A hundred yards down the trail, Dave noticed them stacked up beside a camper. We simply stopped, moved the planks 20 feet to Dave's truck, cut them to 8 foot lengths with the chain saw and carried on. There was no response from the camper, so they were either off hunting, or too ashamed to poke their heads out of the camper. Tim left a note thanking them for helping us transport the decking!

As expected, it was a lot of hard work, but very rewarding! Thanks again guys!

Bob

And a big thanks to all the builders from our first day who overcame some difficult circumstances to get so much accomplished.  We carved "CJA" into one of the abutment logs as a token to a bunch of great enthusiastic guys who made the project happen!

Bravo to all the builders!!

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:32:09 PM »
We did fine.  Scott did amazing considering he only had "2 high" rear locked in his Tacoma.  We pulled out the strap a couple of times - does this make us "Tacoma Recovery" Jeeps  :wink: ?  The mud and ruts weren't bad but it is a little harder to pick lines in the dark.  We got to the big Dodge which was on Meadow Creek and I tried winching him with Scott as an anchor - we were pulled forward and the Dodge didn't move.  Ian attached his TJ to a tree and winched him out without difficulty.  We drove out Meadow Creek and I got home at 23:00, I wanted to do some wheelin' so I was happy.  I've been in those shoes, truck is stuck, you walk out hoping it'll be OK ... someone helps you out.

The bridge is looking good.  Its a huge effort to build a bridge, my hats off to those that helped build any bridge.  There are some that have helped build several bridges - KUDOs to you  :!:
near stock advocate

henry

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 11:15:15 AM »
Good job to everyone involved!   I hope to be around for the next project(s).

Darren 8)

whitetrash96

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 07:58:02 PM »
Did anyone take any pics of your bridge? I'm curious as to what it looks like. In the Crowsnest Pass and Castle area where I wheel all bridges are either rated for up to 5tonne trucks or are simply quad/skidoo bridges.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 09:11:50 AM »
i rode that trail (lost knife) this past Thursday.
There are 2 bridges that have been built.
One is done and useable.
The other one is not useable as it has no entrance or exit.
Excellent workmanship so far.
Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

FeatherFoot

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2005, 01:00:16 PM »
The two bridges are both 20' X 8' and are supported by 5 - 12" plus stringers which should give a loadbearing rate of approx 15,000 lbs.  They have 4"X6" edge rails which leaves a 7 foot wheel width clearence.  
The second one is waiting for the equipment  to do the abutment backfill.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2005, 01:01:27 PM »
They are incredibly built. i should be back this Thursday and i will snap some pics. Very strong and pleasing to the eye! :D
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

whitetrash96

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 05:47:03 PM »
I am looking forward to the pics, thanks for the info. :)

Jeepchick78

Bridge on Lost Knife
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 08:33:42 PM »
Thank you again to everyone who helped us out! That bridge looks fantastic! Great team work 8)

I am also looking for one picture of the bridge. We are working on a nice cover page that will showcase the CJA and ATV Frontier bridge. Please send me what you have. [email protected] ASAP!

Thanks again

Amanda Morosse
AURS VP