Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: T-Max winches  (Read 3008 times)

redrubi

T-Max winches
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
Looking for a bit of experience oriented opinions....

After shopping for winches for about a year now, it's down to the infamous Warn and T-max brands (I think). I have all the Warn boys pointing out that the T-max winches have a 'plastic gear' set-up.
Has anyone run a T-max or know much about them? I'd love to know what a true users opinion of the T-max winch is.

Any thoughts.....?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: T-Max winches
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
T-max are slow, the motors are cheaper, the parts are foreign.

The warn is a better investment., better built, more reliable unit. Its just that simple. Its very hard to touch a warn. Superwinch and ramsey are the only two that are remotely in warns league.

Knock offs like t-max, costco, mm electric, and whatever other name you slap on the same chinese winch just arent up to par.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:52:21 AM »
T-max are slow, the motors are cheaper, the parts are foreign.

The warn is a better investment., better built, more reliable unit. Its just that simple. Its very hard to touch a warn. Superwinch and ramsey are the only two that are remotely in warns league.

Knock offs like t-max, costco, mm electric, and whatever other name you slap on the same chinese winch just arent up to par.

werd!!
I received a destroyed 8500 superwinch,.. I dissassembled, replaced what various screws and bolts required, bent back what was warped, lubed it up and yesterday it hauled out a stuck cherokee on 33's, and bent my 1" square steel cross brace for the winch
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:25:39 PM »
Right now for the price you can't go wrong with the Warn M8000.  It has been one of warn's staple winches and it is a very good little winch for the price.  Also check out the classifieds because I got a great deal on a 8274 a few years back.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 07:51:26 PM »
ask anyone that has had to have repairs done to their brand-X winch... yer kinda outta luck. Warn can get you parts. some of them have upgrades. and there are places in the city that can rebuild the minto better winches. yes, they cost more up-front. but when yer in the middle of nowhere and yer all alone and yer girlfriend is using very colorful words on how smart you are... do you want to tell her you just broke the plastic lever off of your winch???
i didnt either, so i bought a warn:)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »
I KNEW Misty was a great girl!!
Especially since she puts up with you.
LOL!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »
The first winch I bout was a Smitty Built. I did tons of research before and found that they were a good winch. It left me stranded after the third pull I did.
I send it back and got a tabor 9K ( a Warn M8000)
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 09:14:14 PM »
Right now for the price you can't go wrong with the Warn M8000.  It has been one of warn's staple winches and it is a very good little winch for the price.  Also check out the classifieds because I got a great deal on a 8274 a few years back.

what is an m8000 going for roughly?
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 09:36:12 PM »
dsi has them on sale right now for $550.00
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
Holy crap!! that is a pretty good price, methinks!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 04:13:15 AM »
...the T-max winches have a 'plastic gear' set-up.
Has anyone run a T-max or know much about them? I'd love to know what a true users opinion of the T-max winch is.

Well, I guess I'm going to be the run to go against the grain here.  I've got a T-Max 9000 WCP.  I've had it on my Jeep for about 7 months now, so haven't used it that much.  3 light pulls, and 4 all out pulls.  No problems with overheating or gears.  Not sure about all the models but mine was made (the gears are machined from a block, not pressed/forged crap) and assembled in Australia.  There's no plastic on the winch to speak of.  Handle/crossbars/gears are stainless.  The only plastic is the wireless control/plug.

Not to say I don't like Warn winches, but their bottom lineup is just as sh***y as any other manufacturer's bottom end.  Look up reviews or stress/hell tests that mags like 4WD and JP have done on winches.  Every company has issues at some point.  If I remember right I think it was in 06' that SuperWinch came out on top as being the only one to survive the day of testing.  All the others burned out or broke; T-Max and Warn included.

Warn's top lineup is probably one of the overall best you could go with though.  I was thinking of the 9.0C for it's small size.  I just couldn't justify the cost at all.

As far as parts & service goes, Warn is definitely top of the list.  Unless there's a bullet hole in there they'll make sure it gets fixed or that you get the parts you need.  I haven't broken anything on mine yet so can't speak on their customer service at all.  I'd assume a longer wait time on anything though.

BTW, it is quite difficult to find distributors of T-Max that carry the better lineup.

If you want something that REALLY pulls, get a Warn Hydraulic.  Going to be some cost to go with that though.

Hope that answered some questions from an actual owner.

----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

redrubi

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »
I thought Tmax was an Aussie company (which speaks volumes considering the wheeling available over there). Your T-Max is exactly what I had priced out so your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Now decision time......I hate being cheap.....!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 07:32:16 AM »
I know a guy that has been using a Costco Champion winch for the past few years and it has not let him down yet at all.  It is slow as hell but it is still going strong and it has done some hard pulls
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 12:18:05 PM »
I know a guy that has been using a Costco Champion winch for the past few years and it has not let him down yet at all.  It is slow as hell but it is still going strong and it has done some hard pulls

But then again, there is our own member Rick that has cooked 2 of those winches in less then 10 pulls, and Robin that didnt get that many out his either.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2008, 12:20:22 PM »
I thought Tmax was an Aussie company (which speaks volumes considering the wheeling available over there). Your T-Max is exactly what I had priced out so your opinion is greatly appreciated.
Now decision time......I hate being cheap.....!

Australian company doesnt mean made in australia. They are made in china, just like warns Tabor line, mile markers electrics, champions, and everyother budget brand winch out there.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]