Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: ATV Trails and Jeeps??  (Read 1998 times)

gcam

ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« on: October 16, 2005, 11:07:14 PM »
I got a new "Backcountry Map Book" and the trails are all labeled as to whether they are hiking, biking, or ATV trails... What's the deal from an environmental/land management stand point? Can we go on the ATV trails, or are Jeeps too big?

Geoff

Offline apex

• Talks waaay too much!
ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 11:43:11 AM »
basically, if it is two track trail only big enough for a quad, i won't go down it.

gcam

ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 02:07:58 PM »
Understood.

But what I'm wondering is, if a trail is marked as a quad trail, is it legal for us to be driving on it, assuming it is more than a 2-track quad trail?  Is an ATV trail open to all motorized traffic?

Again, I get your original point... Even if we are allowed on a trail, it doesn't mean we should be on it.

Geoff

B-MAN

ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:40:35 PM »
I have a flyer somewhere around here which I got the SRD (Sustainable Resources and Development, they are federal and in charge of Crown land activities) office in Rocky Mountain House which classifies an ATV as "any four wheel drive vehicle" which includes Jeeps...
I was also involved in classifying trails for use by different user groups (in the RMH area) for such maps, these maps are only a guideline as there is no legislation in place that would exclude you from driving your Jeep down a quad designated trail on crown land, just as you can't tell someone they can't hike on a quad designated trail.

CanaMatt

ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 06:56:28 PM »
I have actually driven my jeep on a few quad ATV trails. I called them goat trails, because they are very narrow. And yes it is very difficult to drive on them, you have to be extra careful, because if you get stuck and need help then you are pooched. The thing is on those trails, you have to drive over large tree stumps, and sometimes there are grown trees very close together that you have to navigate through or around. I didnt know the proper etiquette at the time when I did this, as I was new to 4x4ing. But I won't do it again.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
ATV Trails and Jeeps??
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2005, 07:14:25 PM »
Thats why i ride singletrack because no 4x4 or quad is getting down those ATV trails.
We have done lots of small and tight trails with jeeps but i have never looked at them as a quad trail. Until they actually specify (as they do with some bike only trails at Maclean) i will continue to go anywhere on a trail as long as i am not changing the trail (ie...cutting trees so i can make it)

Tom :)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.