Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Who can fix my harmonic balancer?  (Read 946 times)

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
Who can fix my harmonic balancer?
« on: January 09, 2009, 12:48:44 PM »
I've got this wicked belt squeal that I've determined isn't the belt.  I replaced the serpentine belt and the noise went away for 3 days then came back.  I tighened the belt, noise is still there.  I read online that it could be the harmonic balancer.  I could probably replace it myself, but I don't have an impact gun to get the bolt out or have the tool to properly remove the balancer.  Does anyone know of a confident shop that can do this for me, relatively cheap?
ve1sly

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
Re: Who can fix my harmonic balancer?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »
How soon do you need it done? Do you have the new balancer? I may be able to do it time wise, but if you need it done ASAP call Jay @ Chanda Automotive 403.287.3350
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 01:27:50 PM »
I don't need it done ASAP, what time line were you looking at?  And do you have the tool to remove it?  It's more annoying/embarrasing to drive it with this belt squeeling than anything.  Napa has the part in stock for $91.
ve1sly

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
I just called Jay, nice guy.  Looking like Monday.  :)
ve1sly

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »
do you get the noise the entire time the motor is running, or just above a certain RPM........ I have a similar issue that was caused when an over filled powersteering reservoir burped oil all over the motor, a quick shot of degreaser and a whipe down of the power stearing pully usually fixes the problem until it gets wet out.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »
Actually, the owner before me changed the power steering pump just before i bought it!  Good call, I'll buy some degreeser after work and give that a shot first.  I'll have to check the play and rubber on the balancer too.   You guys rock!
ve1sly

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 02:09:47 PM »
Check the idler pulley too
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »
Okay, after looking at it, I noticed the belt was a little crooked on the power steering pump.  Went to pick and pull this morning and pulled a power steering pump off a '95 xj and swapped the power steering pump on my xj.  Squeal is gone!  As I suspected, it looks like when the previous owner changed the power steering pump, he put the stupid pulley on backwards which caused the belt to squeal because it wasn't lined up right. 

I guess I could have pulled the pulley and changed it around, but then i'd have to buy the tool and since I had to go to pick and pull to get a hood latch cable and floor mats, I figured I'd grab a power steering pump while I was there.

If anyone's power steering pump blows up, I have a practically new spare, just gotta turn the pulley around!  ;)
ve1sly