Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Need Machine shop:  (Read 2004 times)

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
Need Machine shop:
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:34:48 AM »
I need to have a bushing made for a Mitsubishi Pajero, does anyone know of a good machine shop in Calgary that is willing to work on something oddball?  It is for the output shaft where the slip spline goes in and out of the transfer case.  The fun part is it is a close tolerance fit so Mitsubishi machined helical oil groves into the ID of the bushing.  I know some of you will say I should'nt have sold my jeep and bought this goofy jap vehicle but I did so I would still appreciate any suggestions .

Offline newfie

• Budget Lift
  • newbie and loven it
Re: Need Machine shop:
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 11:11:37 AM »
i have an idea
burn it , take the insurance money and buy a REAL toy
 :o
like a jeep ;D
newfies are everywhere

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »
I need to have a bushing made for a Mitsubishi Pajero, does anyone know of a good machine shop in Calgary that is willing to work on something oddball?  It is for the output shaft where the slip spline goes in and out of the transfer case.  The fun part is it is a close tolerance fit so Mitsubishi machined helical oil groves into the ID of the bushing.  I know some of you will say I should'nt have sold my jeep and bought this goofy jap vehicle but I did so I would still appreciate any suggestions .

1. Remove your old bushing.
2. Replace all other parts with Jeep parts.
3. Step 2 should include a bushing anyways...  ;D
Jeep
With stuff

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:56:50 PM »
i have an idea
burn it , take the insurance money and buy a REAL toy
 :o
like a jeep ;D

Newfie you are cruisn, after all that work I watched you do last week in my heated garage I thought you would be nicer than that!!!! ;D

Offline newfie

• Budget Lift
  • newbie and loven it
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »
dont worry i'll be the first one there with a hammer to help u out with that funny looking thing on rubber if u can ever find any  parts for it ;D ;D
newfies are everywhere

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 03:53:33 PM »
dont worry i'll be the first one there with a hammer to help u out with that funny looking thing on rubber if u can ever find any  parts for it ;D ;D

I found a new rubicon at the jeep dealership, but I have not found the 30,000 bucks they want for it.  So in the meantime anyone know of any good machine shops?

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
This bushing  , is it not available as a service item ?

Making a bushing is not a big deal , cutting a helical groove to retain lubricant though will require some creativity to make happen.

Lets see  ,  how would I do it ?   

Purchase suitable bushing stock ,  make bushing by cutting the od and width to size on lathe , rough out the id to  - .005" of desired final size ,   set lathe spindle speed to a real low gear , mount a boring bar in tool post , set it up to make a .020" cut , turn machine on stuff boring bar through hole quickly by hand ( use hand wheel ! ) , hone id to final size on a sunnen machine , install bushing , lay rubber.

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 08:49:44 PM »
The bushing is not available as a service item.  They want to sell me the entire tailshaft.  I have assess to a lathe however I am unsure what material to use, and where to get it.  Was hoping to farm this one out to the professionals.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 09:21:06 PM »
It may be cheaper to just get the tail shaft. I don’t know the rats for machine shops but $150 to $200 and hour may not be far off. I work for a heavy equipment shop and we charge almost $200 an hour now. So buy the tie them make this part for you they could have 2 or more hours in it and no warranty.
I would for curiosity call a couple machine shops and ask what their rate is. I know there are some machinists on this sight so they will probably correct me on this.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline cdnhonda

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 10:23:24 AM »
have you tried Evolution machining
life without mud is no life at all

Offline yyc_tbird_sc

• Budget Lift
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 10:13:09 AM »
Give Trevor a shout. He's the owner of Colecraft Machining 403-681-3683. He specializes in automotive one-offs....no oil field stuff at all. He's got a CNC lathe, and a CNC 4-axis mill. I've seen his work, and have some of it as well....I'd recommend no one else. Tell him Scott sent you.
-'97 Ranger w/ 4" lift, 33" MTZ's, 4.56's, and some new sheet metal
-'89 Thunderbird SC - 285HP, 392ft/lbs [email protected]

Offline cotaman

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:59 AM »
a bushing like that should not take more than 1/2 hour to make .... hence  should cost you about $50/60 ....  as for material  a probably bearing bronze.  i am sure that some of the other machinists ( journeynam or not ) on the site should be able to help you out  :D
98 ZJ, 5" lift, 4.10's, 33" Dick Cepek Mud Country's, 231 swap,  winch/bumper, rock rails, lincoln locker, CB, parked, waiting to pass SK insp
01 WJ, the pavement princess that has been mirror deep in a hole
RIP -- 88 XJ, 3" Skyjacker, 31 MT

Offline bae146

• UberWheeler
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:48:32 PM »
Give Trevor a shout. He's the owner of Colecraft Machining 403-681-3683. He specializes in automotive one-offs....no oil field stuff at all. He's got a CNC lathe, and a CNC 4-axis mill. I've seen his work, and have some of it as well....I'd recommend no one else. Tell him Scott sent you.

Thank you Scott:

Trevor is going to look after it for me.  He is busy right now but he can do it in a couple of weeks.  Thanks guys for your help.