Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Buying a jeep  (Read 13384 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
Buying a jeep
« on: January 17, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »
I would have thought to find alot of posts like this but didn't really.

I am new to Jeeps but considering one. I tried some offroading at the end of fall and think I would like to continue. I am in a 95 Toyota right now but breaking it is expensive and modifying even more so...plus, it seems to be worth a good price to sell it.

The Jeep will be my third car, second toy and winter vehicle...I already have another summer sports car. First I was thinking a Wrangler but I was just test driving one and it seems pretty harsh for a daily drive to work. It was a stock 98 TJ at that. So maybe an XJ would be a better choice. Basically, I need to live with it on the street (in winter especially) and want to wheel it when I can.

Budget is up for grabs but since its a third car I'm not looking at like $10,000 vehicles. Anyone want to share random thoughts? YJ vs TJ vs XJ? What do I watch out for when puchasing? What's cheap to fix and what's not?

Thanks for any input,
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Re: Buying a jeep
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 06:26:32 PM »
my input

yj's are cheaper to mod as they are leaf springs, much harder ride

older,.. more things break
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 06:46:30 PM by barmanjay »
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
i have a 03 tj for a dd and i dont mind it a all remember its a jeep so the only real question is what do you need for storage space
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »
get a 93-96 ZJ. cheap as can be, best ride ever. do a rubicon express lift and some 32"s.  great ride on the street and still fairly trail capable

make sure it has the V8.........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline .:.Dingman.:.

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 08:08:13 PM »
agreed with the zj

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
x3
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Dragonmaster

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »
I'm biased, but believe the TJ is the best of all 3 you listed. relatively cheap to mod, more durable than a YJ just because of age and easier to mod than an XJ.

If you're looking for a TJ I've got an '02 that is in great shape for $10,000.  PM me for details if interested.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:56:33 PM »
x3

x4

I had one,.. but I had to decide which jeep i was keeping,.. I miss the comfy ride! But I had just lifted the yj so I parted with the zj

I wish I could've had both,.. but there's just no room

I would also consider an xj,.. only because of the DIY how-to pages I found

http://go.jeep-xj.info/index.htm
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:58:21 PM by barmanjay »
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline AMCJeep

• Budget Lift
  • Wheel, break, fix, repeat ...
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 09:07:43 PM »
X5  :D

I really miss my 98 ZJ, smooth riding and all the amenities. Lifted with larger tires - it went everywhere!
09 JK Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Sunburst Orange
90 YJ AKA Papa Smurf"4.2, AX15, Completely unmolested
03 Ram 2500 QC, LB, 5.9 CTD

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 09:30:19 PM »
maybe immortal wil keep his tj and sell the zj or xj i cant remember ;) ::)
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Immortal will never sell the XJ he loves it lol. he has no ZJ, but we know he was in love with mine hahaha (not really)   the ZJ was kicka$$ streetable rig, mine rode so smooth. only problems with it were the relative lack of aftermarket support and parts, and price. however thats changed, and for a moderate wheeler, theres plenty of small lifts and stuff out there!  as i found out, not a strong build platform without $$ and fabbing abilities, but for a moderate wheeler with great street manners, it won

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:51:08 PM »
I somewhat discounted the ZJ for the same reason I just sold the 4Runner. Expensive to fix, smaller aftermarket, etc. The toyota was already fine on the street and a 'decent' offroad vehicle. How does the ZJ viscous center effect offroad prowess?
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
I somewhat discounted the ZJ for the same reason I just sold the 4Runner. Expensive to fix, smaller aftermarket, etc. The toyota was already fine on the street and a 'decent' offroad vehicle. How does the ZJ viscous center effect offroad prowess?

It doesn't if you swap in a 231 t-case.   ;)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 10:02:13 PM »
the viscous coupleer in the Tcase i assume you are referring to?   don't worry about it. everyone will knock the 249 tcase. i bought my ZJ and viscous coupler was gone in it; i put 50k on it and wheeled the hell out of it. i said 'i won' treplace it till it dies' it never did; and in this province all wheel drive is nice. offroad it made no difference i noticed, and i wheeled it hard

sounds like u wanted a topless jeep kind of thing?  if u want something to ride nice the XJ/ZJ is ur option, and the ZJ is a lil' longer wheelbase and it has coils all around and rear discbrakes, as well as the V8 for power..........  as far as repairs, its still a jeep; everything i replaced was usually readily available and not that expensive.......
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 10:03:56 PM by JOhnnyC »

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 10:08:42 PM »
Not to mention that you can usually pick up a parts ZJ for $500-$1000.
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com