Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Buying a jeep  (Read 13388 times)

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Buying a jeep
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 10:24:37 PM »
I've wheeled and dd both XJs and ZJs. ZJs are defiantly more refined and nicer to drive, the V8 is loads of fun(but a bit of a gas guzzler) and the ZJ has WAY more room in backseats, a big plus if you have a family or often carry friends.

The XJ is a  more economical daily driver and cheaper to lift, more aftermarket stuff and more used stuff available. Also cheaper to buy upfront.  Easier to find used parts for as well.

I wheeled a daily driver XJ with 31s, 4.10 gears, rear locker and winch for almost 5years and did very well and the rig still handled well on the road.

Give us more info, how much will it be daily driven, how far do you commute(fuel economy), do you plan to tow anything(if so get a V8), how hardcore of an offroad rig do you want, what do the guys you wheel with run, got a family/how much room do you need......

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 11:35:02 PM »
I just gave up a 95 4Runner (rashly perhaps :)) that fit a 33x12.5 tire with no lift and no ride/handle compromise. I am not an experienced wheeler, just getting started. The first time I wheeled we headed to the summit of Top of the World with barmanjay and others and the truck did fine. I took the detours on the harder obsticles and I don't want too :) I'm not 'hardcore' but I want to do more then stocker runs in the future. I guess that's the best I can do to give you an idea of what kind of trails I want to run. Really, I think the 4Runner with a rear selectable locker would maybe have been enough already but some things on it seem fragile and a selectable locker is staring down $2000. Really, I have auto ADD and just always want to try new things. I owned 7 different vehicles in 2008 to give you an idea :)

I do have a family (two kids) but I have a sedan for hauling them around. Being able to throw them in the back to head to COP snowboarded with gear in the back is actually seeming like a big plus but I'm not opposed to a roof rack for the new vehicle or the family car. Don't plan to tow anything. I will be driving the vehicle 25kms round trip to work mon-fri at least throughout the winter and preferrably the summer months too. My other toy is a dedicated autocross car that's a little harsh on the street. I don't care about gas mileage...we are all directly in the oil and gas business so I choose to look at it as an investment in my career :)

I'm really shocked about all the love for the ZJ. To be honest, if JOhnnyC's was still for sale, I'd prolly buy it right now. But the thought of building one doesn't appeal...did some reading just now and seems like lifting them introduces quite a bit of ride issues. In fact, I would rather pay for a built rig that met my needs then build one.

I really appreciate the input guys, thanks.
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 11:50:50 PM »
Really, I have auto ADD and just always want to try new things. I owned 7 different vehicles in 2008 to give you an idea

Auto ADD is a disease I know well...  Currently have 7 Jeeps (in addition to my tow rig, my bikes and my muscle cars).

I'm going to have to say I like the TJ for wheeling.  I've owned a buttload of vehicles and nothing compares with top down driving/cool factor of a TJ.  It wheels well and the aftermarket is huge.  They have a full frame and flopping one does not necessarily equal getting a new one.  I guess the ride is a bit harsh compared to the station wagons... but with well built suspension it's really not that bad.   I also think they wheel better out of the box than XJ or a ZJ.   If you can find a reasonable shape Rubi... you've got a rig on 31's with lockers and a 4:1 low ratio out of the box.  Throw a small lift on and you can run 33's. 

Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 11:56:37 PM »
Somebody buy my damn TJ before I keep it and end up building it up.  >:(
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 11:58:37 PM »
ZJ is a sleeper........ gotta keep in mind its solid points. its like a smooth riding TJ with a V8.......... if u don't wanna get to crazy with your wheeling, you can get away with a set of 33s some custom fender trimming and a moderate lift.  I did for yets as well.  there are a lotta people on here who have run them and if u ask (aka me lol) you can learn lots of little tricks!
ps, mines not for sale, but for what i did to it, you can make something similar for a lot less $$$ now with lift kits getting cheaper......

or do an XJ like all those other guys LOl
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 12:01:25 AM »
Somebody buy my damn TJ before I buy another.  :D

There....fixed that for you.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 12:03:33 AM »
Muhahahaha!! Thanks Darcy.

If I had to do it again.... (I am crying as I type this....) I would build up a TJ. Sooooooooooooo cheap compared to an XJ or ZJ/WJ.

not mine, but cheap, like borscht!! and pretty built.

http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=10238.0
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 12:10:48 AM by Immortal »

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 01:10:47 AM »
build both  :D:D:D:D:
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
build both  :D:D:D:D:

good idea that way you can toe the TJ with the XJ and if you break the TJ on the trail you can toe it out jump in the XJ and enjoy the rest of the day wheelin where you finished off.
The best of both worlds who would have thought having a TJ and XJ would be such a good thing.  RIGHT trev  ;D ;D
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »
Ok, thanks for the input guys.

I ended up test dringing another TJ today. It was a 2001 this time and it felt much better then the last one though both are stock. This one had issues and while I'm not interested in it in particular, it has given me hope that a TJ could be a tolerable street vehicle.

So other questions?
- How bad good is the 4cyl found in YJ/TJ? I would prefer the 6 but there seem to be a few interesting 4cyl jeeps for sale right now. (http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=10238.0)
- How bad are the 3 speed autos found in 92 up 4L 6cyl YJs and TJs? I mean, 3 speed? *shudder*
- If I were going to buy an XJ, would it be dumb to end up with a AX15 5sp rather then the apparently desirable Auto?

Thanks guys,
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
Ok, thanks for the input guys.

I ended up test dringing another TJ today. It was a 2001 this time and it felt much better then the last one though both are stock. This one had issues and while I'm not interested in it in particular, it has given me hope that a TJ could be a tolerable street vehicle.

So other questions?
- How bad good is the 4cyl found in YJ/TJ? I would prefer the 6 but there seem to be a few interesting 4cyl jeeps for sale right now. (http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=10238.0)
- How bad are the 3 speed autos found in 92 up 4L 6cyl YJs and TJs? I mean, 3 speed? *shudder*
- If I were going to buy an XJ, would it be dumb to end up with a AX15 5sp rather then the apparently desirable Auto?

Thanks guys,
Ryan

Well,.. my take on the 4cyl,.. as I have one:

gutless over 80km/h

Sometime this year, I'm going to swap in v6, buuut,.. the plus side with the 4cyls is they have 4.10's for diffs vs the 3.73's or whatever the 4.0's have

The 4cyls are geared to climb very well.

Gas mileage isn't much better as the engine has to work really hard to move the jeep.

with 33's I get about 300-350ish /tank

The only reason I ended up with a 4cyl is the deal I couldn't pass up on,.. if I had a choice, I would've bought a 4.0 with a 5sp. I don't like having an auto while crawling up and down hills,.. it's really nice to engine brake down a hill with a 5sp
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Dragonmaster

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:55 PM »
Well,.. my take on the 4cyl,.. as I have one:

gutless over 80km/h

Sometime this year, I'm going to swap in v6, buuut,.. the plus side with the 4cyls is they have 4.10's for diffs vs the 3.73's or whatever the 4.0's have

The 4cyls are geared to climb very well.

Gas mileage isn't much better as the engine has to work really hard to move the jeep.

with 33's I get about 300-350ish /tank

The gutless is probably due to your 33's.  Mine pulls up to 100 quite well.

With 30x9.5's I get about 400-450 on a tank.

I used to take mine to Castlegar BC over Kootenai pass and many others with no issues (other than lack of cargo space for the kids stuff).

Gas mileage is slightly better by 1US MPG than most other 6cylinders i have compared to.  Great for city driving, and the occasional highway trip.  Most of all it's better at wheeling than the 6.  It has a near perfect 50/50 weight balance and as mentioned is geared with 4.10 diffs.   Just my .15 cents.

P-Dubb

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
i have 2003 Rubicon lifted 4" with 33's, v6, stock tranny, 4:10's i think  ???.. but i try not to drive over 100 with it, and it might do 120 im sure, but not gunna try it, kinda tipsy on a windy day, but if headwind, sometimes u gotta pretty much floor it, usually pretty good though, goes 350kms to a tank i believe and i drive from Airdrie to Calgary everyday, but i love it  ;D, my .02 cent

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 08:25:26 PM »
Just remember that your oversived tires are going to throw out the speedo abit, unless you have already rectified that problem.

When my speedo says 100kph I am actually doing 125ish, on my 33"s. Proven by my GPS, and the wonderful Sherriff who pulled me over. Original tires were 27". Huge difference, throws it out by 25%. Next to no torque, but hardly working the motor at 100kph (actual). about 1700 rpm in 5th gear.

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2009, 09:23:26 PM »
i wish mine was like that
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket