Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Specific Tire Size Question  (Read 5164 times)

Offline comanche killer

• UberWheeler
  • Aaron
Re: Specific Tire Size Question
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 09:54:22 PM »
i broke lots of stuff when i had 31's then went to 33's and broke alot  less lol
95 3/4 ton Chev  dailydriver/heavy hauler
97 green MZJ custom 4link rear/3link front, FF 14 bolt rear welded, D 60 front, ax-15, np-231,custom rollcage, half doors, PSC hydro assist 14"kings 40"boggers

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
ya big sissy.
Johnny is "downgrading" so he can drive his YJ on the street more. If it is a trail rig.... GO BIG OR GO HOME. Right Bill?

This coming from a guy who has 4 Jeeps, 3 of which are street queens. 

Two sets of tires sounds like a good idea, except for the fact that it might look a bit odd depending on the lift and size of the second set.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 11:37:32 PM »
Ahhhhh... yes, my little apprentice, but, I will always be able to drive my own vehicle. Not a big fan of having the DD as the off road toy.

I am TRYING to sell the one Jeep that was meant to be modded, damnit!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »
if you build it they will come.........................................
and buy the XJ

sniff sniff, i smell a TJ long arm kit...........

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 08:04:17 AM »
If its the dana 30 reverse cut high pinion, should handle 35's.  Chrysler 8.25 is good for the rear, shafts are almost as big as the dana 44.  Get a hub lock kit for the front axle, good back up plan for wheelin, that extra inch makes a big difference.  I'm soooooooo sick of getting hung up on my axles, cut the lip off my 8.25 and upgrading to 35" TSL's this spring.  The 33" claws just don't cut it, they throw lots of mud but they do not dig!  Good for pictures though!  I've followed guys on 35's and 36's that coasted through ruts then I come through and I'm stuck, sitting on the axles again.
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 08:36:58 AM »
Unit bearings. When I daily drove my XJ on 31s I went thru unit bearings like crazy.

What are unit bearings?  Are these like wheel bearings on a car with IFS?  What you just wrote scares me as I have an XJ soon to be on 31's.   :o
ve1sly

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 05:43:10 PM »
What are unit bearings?  Are these like wheel bearings on a car with IFS?  What you just wrote scares me as I have an XJ soon to be on 31's.   :o

You need to get a whole new unit everytime, bearings are pressed into the hubs...

Don't worry mang! I did both front bearings after about a year of hard wheeling...and they arent too too bad to replace, just a little stickie sometimes!

8)
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline Duncan71

• Budget Lift
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 01:40:16 AM »
Ya like S-fly, i recently downsized to 31's from 33's just for on raod drivability.  Can someone explain why this would cause more crap to break?  Also, how much are unit bearings when they do need to be replaced?