Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Specific Tire Size Question  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
Specific Tire Size Question
« on: January 23, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
4L YJ with a dana 30 front diff with arb air locker and stock steering components lifted 5"

Is 35x12.5 too big a tire as far as reliablity is concerned? What's the risk? stressing the diff or stressing the steering?

Thanks guys,
Ryan
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Specific Tire Size Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
i'll be running that setup soon enough. should be strong enough for the most part. right now i'm running 36s.... whats your rear axle? i'd be more concerned with it if its the stock D35..........
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Dana 44 with arb locker.

Do you mean that you will be downsizing to 35" front tires?
My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife sell all my stuff for what I said I paid for it.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:16:33 PM »
haha, all the way around. i am running 36s but looking to downgrade to the 35s. will be easier on the street as well as stock front driveline parts, steering etc......
but so far i haven't had any problems with teh 36s but haven't really used it hard though either

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

but so far i haven't had any problems with teh 36s but haven't really used it hard though either

ya big sissy.
Johnny is "downgrading" so he can drive his YJ on the street more. If it is a trail rig.... GO BIG OR GO HOME. Right Bill?
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »
Unit bearings. When I daily drove my XJ on 31s I went thru unit bearings like crazy.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 09:48:05 PM »
Sorry, that didn't come out right. I wasn't suggesting just the fronts :P

Is bearing failure accelerated by larger tires? Truth is, I'm considering going smaller for the same reason. I need to drive the jeep to work 25kms round trip 5 days a week in the winter. I doubt I plan to go wheeling anywhere that 33s won't take me for quite a while.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 10:45:12 PM »
The D30 in the YJ is strong enough to handle 35s but the weak point will be the u-joints unless you have the larger 297 joints.  As for reliability, larger tires cause all the front end parts to wear faster especially the bearings and ball joints.  Right now I am running 33x12.5s on my YJ and I have had the same unit bearings for about 3-4 years now and I drive it a fair bit.  However, when I had my 31s, I went through a few sets.  Unit bearing life is a balance of tire size and wheel offset
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline sylvrinvader

• That CB Yapper
  • the micro wheeler
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 11:04:14 PM »
The D30 in the YJ is strong enough to handle 35s but the weak point will be the u-joints unless you have the larger 297 joints.  As for reliability, larger tires cause all the front end parts to wear faster especially the bearings and ball joints.  Right now I am running 33x12.5s on my YJ and I have had the same unit bearings for about 3-4 years now and I drive it a fair bit.  However, when I had my 31s, I went through a few sets.  Unit bearing life is a balance of tire size and wheel offset

i have an 03 tj what should i do about this as well
03 TJ, 33" BFG's,4:88 gears  BBoost, CB, custom front bumper,  insta/extenda trunks, rugged ridge roof rack w/basket

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
Ok, still debating this in my head. Let me ask another question:

What advantage do 35" diameter give over 33" besides to obvious 1" clearance?

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
You could get some 31's for the street and save your 35's for the weekend warrior adventures.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
You could get some 31's for the street and save your 35's for the weekend warrior adventures.

Good point. Consider the cost of a set of 31's with rims as a percentage of the whole cost of the rig....getting some with street manners  for tread will be cheaper than offroad tires, better on mileage, and changing the tires over will only be a matter of taking some time.  :)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Sprockett

• Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 02:35:29 PM »
You know, this is actually something I had not considered but should. Besides the how funny the 5"+ lift would look with 31s, theres little downside if the only concern is street manners.

However, the durability on trail with 35s is still a question in my mind over the advantage to the 35s vs 33s

Thanks for the input!

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
However, the durability on trail with 35s is still a question in my mind over the advantage to the 35s vs 33s

The short answer is it all depends on how much stupid pedal is used.  I have seen guys run 35s/36s, locked on D30s and D35s with no problems and on the other hand, I have seen guys break stuff with 31s.
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
ya big sissy.
Johnny is "downgrading" so he can drive his YJ on the street more. If it is a trail rig.... GO BIG OR GO HOME. Right Bill?

i am a big sissy trev lol u got me!!!!   

2 sets of tires is a great idea..... i've done it many a time........ 31s won't look that bad. nor would 33s. there are usually some sets around. that'd work out pretty good