Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Rear trackbar poll.  (Read 4655 times)

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:08 PM »
So, who has kept their rear trackbar and who has tossed it? I got rid of mine when I did my lift and haven't noticed any ill effects at all.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 01:06:28 PM »
YJ or TJ?
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 01:20:43 PM »
I drive a YJ, so now I'm relying on the stiffer lift springs to locate my axle. Would the control arms for TJs not do the same thing?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 01:28:12 PM »
Nuh uh. You have to triangulate a set of arms so they hold the axle centered.

So long as all you bushings are in good shape an tight you shouldnt have a problem.

There should be a bit less restriction when flexing now as well.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

RedYJ

Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 04:02:42 PM »
I kept it just in case something went wrong and my axle was not located properly.  I figure if it was engineered with it in it should stay in.  How much extra flex can you get with it out?

Offline redbull

• UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 04:50:34 PM »
Quote from: "RedYJ"
How much extra flex can you get with it out?

Good question. My YJ still hardly flexes these new RE springs at all. I'm hoping they'll settle after a few more wheeling trips. I figured every little bit helps.

On engineering: CJs don't have 'em. Toyotas (Landcruisers and trucks) don't have 'em. I think they were added to the YJ for on-road performance only.

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 05:46:12 PM »
I still have mine but I know several without them.  Also I know people who have ditched the front as well
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:45:43 PM »
No older leaf sprung vehicles had them. You don't need them with leaf springs. YJ in particular seem to benefit without them. You do need them on vehicles without triangulated control arms (like unmodified TJs).
Keep on Jeepin'

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005, 09:12:49 AM »
I removed both track bars on my YJ when I installed my lift.  Handling was still pretty good, but its a Jeep so I don't expect too much  :lol: .  Then after awhile I reinstalled the front track bar, I lost 3/4" of droop (Skyjacker 2.5" soft ride leafs) and the steering feels alittle sharper on turn in.  I drive on the roads abit and it would help during evasive maneuvers  :wink: .  Leaf sprung vehicles don't flex much unless you add shackles that extend/open and all the extras - long travel shocks, extended brake lines, SYE and CV driveshaft.
near stock advocate

Centurion

Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005, 08:10:05 PM »
On a YJ it helps to prevent axle wrap... There was a video of a bronco? I believe, shot from under the gas tank at the pinion so you could see how a track bar would prevent axle wrap.

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 08:18:43 PM »
Are you maybe confusing track bar with a traction bar? Track bar is used to locate axle laterally. Traction bar is used to prevent axle wrap.
Keep on Jeepin'

Centurion

Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2005, 06:35:11 AM »
Quote from: "Milan"
Are you maybe confusing track bar with a traction bar? Track bar is used to locate axle laterally. Traction bar is used to prevent axle wrap.

Two leafs is a two-link system, you have two fixed links that can locate the axle on their own, however they're not usually strong enough to hold the axle from attempting to wrap itself.

I had progressive rate springs on my yj, and if I were to sit on pavement, and walk on it, even with a 2.5l and 4.10s with 35s, it would squat the rear end 2-3" from axle wrap.

The track bar prevents the axle from wrapping more than a few degrees.

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2005, 08:54:39 AM »
Quote from: "Centurion"
Quote from: "Milan"

Two leafs is a two-link system, you have two fixed links that can locate the axle on their own, however they're not usually strong enough to hold the axle from attempting to wrap itself.

I had progressive rate springs on my yj, and if I were to sit on pavement, and walk on it, even with a 2.5l and 4.10s with 35s, it would squat the rear end 2-3" from axle wrap.

The track bar prevents the axle from wrapping more than a few degrees.

i have to agree with Milan,  i think you have your terms and bars mixed up.  

and if you walk on it while  sitting on pavement, isnt that flex.  squat is when the vehicle is in motion, not stationary

do you still have your YJ?

Centurion

Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 09:15:41 PM »
Alright, I will attempt to be clear:

The stock track bar isn't there just for axle wrap, a traction bar is designed to prevent this, in a stock situation the track bar helps prevent wrap simply due to it's placement over top of the axle. ie: the axle can only rotate as far as the bushing/jj/heim will allow and then it will end up breaking something or bending something or it will just stop.

That being said, pending how heavy your springs are it might make a difference it might not. If you have the right aftermarket track bar even in a YJ it feels less squirrely on the road. I will admit to not running one after I lifted my jeep, I DID end up putting wrap in one of my leafs and bent it permanently.

Dave - As per the YJ, it's long gone. Going to the dealership tuesday to order an unlimited rubi :lol: Finally have time to wheel again (maybe, we'll see)

Offline Milan

• CJA Members
  • UberWheeler
Rear trackbar poll.
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 08:01:25 PM »
And what I meant was that I would not realy on a trackbar to limit axle wrap. If your springs are too soft to allow too much axle wrap, I would use some other traction bar or control arm to limit it. Not the track bar. The track bar bushing will get ruined and/or in the worse case, the mount will break off. But yes those darn track bars they do limit the axle movement in more ways than one. :)
Keep on Jeepin'