Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Eventually it all breaks  (Read 3674 times)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
Eventually it all breaks
« on: October 25, 2005, 04:24:48 PM »
Well, even though i retired the 97 TJ from any wheelin adventures ( Jan 03), the toll of offroading finally caught up....again :D

Last night my wife was driving when the motor blew up. It was only 3 weeks ago when the entire rear end blew apart as well.

So, after replacing the new rear end (including new posi) in a Dana 35 (that hurts as i could have put gears in the rubi with that $$$$) and new axleshafts as well, the motor said goodbye with a bang!

When i decided to sell her, the rear end became a problem and the knocking began in the engine. Maybe, she wants to be mine for life :lol: .

Thanks to Jeepstuff for a "new" engine coming soon (lady driven and low kms) and to Dean Folk for the new rear end. She will be as good as showroom condition now, mechanically not esthetically :D

My wife will be happy that every guy that drove by her will stop waving and yelling, "you are out of oil!" now with a new motor.

Ramtuff (and Tower as well) has given me a good price on a new rad but maybe someone else has a good one? (i will post in wanted).

Tom :cry:
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

born2jeep

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:37:40 PM »
Speaking of vibrations in the body...

Last night after leaving the office, I showed Janice the TJ, and said that I wish I would have bought it from you a few months ago.

Wierd :shock:

Good luck with the new engine!
Sam

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 07:06:53 PM »
i would have felt horrible if anyone bought it to have this happen. i am glad no one did.
Tom :)

Offline ornamental

• UberWheeler
    • http://www.webshots/users/yeungstreet
4 banger
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 08:59:50 PM »
hey spinal,  how many km was on the engine have when it died?  
anybody know the lifespan of a well maintained 4.0L????
....im just curious

Dragonmaster

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 09:48:20 PM »
my bros crappily maintained 93 4.0 has over 350,000km, parts are starting to fail around it.  The only thing we have done to it, other than the occasional oil change when he can afford it (Student), is the head gasket as we were changing the header anyway and it was onlt a few more bolts.

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 10:04:29 PM »
Bummer Tom.  Wasn't that engine rebuilt not long ago by Chrysler?  Did it have a hard life under a heavy right foot?  What broke?
near stock advocate

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:02:41 AM »
dave, there were 170,000 kms on her.

Tom,at 130,000 kms the #1 piston gernaded (and lots of other components) and was fixed under warranty.

This time......we will see soon enough but i suspect a rod through the block as coolant was everywhere and the engine is now seized.
Probable cause was wheelin lots at 5000 rpm.....very heavy foot in the span of a couple hundred trips of wheelin. Lots of mudruns in the first 100,000 kms.

The rad always leaked but with the 4cyl, it never ran hot.

Tom :)

JaydarXJ

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 12:23:02 AM »
My 4.0L in my XJ blew at 170,000 too. I suspect the kid I got it from had a heavy foot and probably sucked in water through a poorly constructed "Cablesmurf snorkel". The entire engine was a mess inside, nothing survived. :?

On the bright side, it's now sportin' a new motor from a 2003 TJ with only 30,000 on it :D

youngen18

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:54:55 AM »
i got just about 250000 on my 97 tj 2.5L in it and seems to still be goin good :D

born2jeep

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2005, 08:05:00 AM »
Quote from: "JaydarXJ"
My 4.0L in my XJ blew at 170,000 too. I suspect the kid I got it from had a heavy foot and probably sucked in water through a poorly constructed "Cablesmurf snorkel". The entire engine was a mess inside, nothing survived. :?

On the bright side, it's now sportin' a new motor from a 2003 TJ with only 30,000 on it :D

Although a few mud/water runs probably didnt help, it was like that the day he bought it... Thats why he got a good deal. :P

Im glad you got the new engine in there. Did you do the work yourself? Ifso, how was hooking up the wiring, and getting everything to work?

Sam

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2005, 09:05:58 AM »
Quote from: "JaydarXJ"

Hmmm....Are you saying poor design, or poor install?

Hmmm? :shock:
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

JaydarXJ

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2005, 06:06:13 PM »
I'm saying poor install :D ,(the design is a modern marvel of engineering Dan :D  :D ) I re-installed it and it works great!

Centurion

Eventually it all breaks
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 08:14:18 PM »
The 4cyl is prone to what tom mentioned, losing a rod...

A well maintained 4l can last 300,000KM if you're lucky, expect 240ish though.

Glad to hear that you'll soon have your old baby back on the road.

Best of luck with all else.

PS - I might have to come see you when I finish working, my back is killing me.