Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Changed Thermostat  (Read 862 times)

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
Changed Thermostat
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
So, when I bought my xj, I didn't have much heat and it'd take forever to heat up.  I changed my thermostat yesterday and notice it was stuck wide open (must be a safety setting for when it over heats?).  Anyways, I noticed the old one had a little pass-through with a ball bearing type thing but the new one didn't have this... is this important?
ve1sly

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: Changed Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 10:04:31 AM »
I just did my 95 for the exact same reasons.  I don't recall either the old thermostat or the new one having a bypass so I'm going to say... not important
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
Right on.  I'm just curious what it does really, my old one had it and Sprockett's old and new one had it and I thought we had the same motor.  Here is the thing in question (this isn't my t-stat, but the arrow points to the bypass):

ve1sly

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:50:08 AM »
Mine was a Stant and looks like this

Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline S-FLY

• Budget Lift
  • '94 XJ
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 01:07:11 PM »
Found the answer, it's called a jiggle valve.  I guess they did away with them, it was for air to pass through.

ve1sly

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »
i installed on in a ford exploder and jeep grand on the same day.  the grand was a failsafe and had the valve, couldnt get failsafe for exploder and it dint have a valve
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:13:06 AM »
I don't like the fail safes, everyone of them I had failed in the stuck open position. I've rarely had a failure with a regular.

The hole as you said is a jiggle valve for helping bleed air from the system. It should be installed in the 12 o'clock position when installed in a Jeep 4.0L to help bleed air from the system.

I usually disconnect a heater hose when filling the system to help bleed air out. My old '89 4.0L would get airlocked if I didn't.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles