Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The dreaded death wobble...  (Read 9947 times)

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
The dreaded death wobble...
« on: February 12, 2009, 09:27:24 PM »
I installed my 5" skyjacker kit with 2" spacers, both trackbar brackets and extra supports, everything is tight as hell.... BUT seems like when i slightly turn left at a certain speed the dreaded death wobble comes into play, big time.

Everythings tight, i do have the "stock" steering stablizer on... could that be the issue?

any advice is appreciated.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
Re: The dreaded death wobble...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:38:03 PM »
Steering stabilizer is not the cause of death wobble... it can be a band aid solution in some situations but your best bet is to find the real cause.

A wobble caused by a turn makes me wonder if your unit bearings are OK... or your ball joints.  Typical death wobble is caused by a loose track bar or bad control arm joints.  Hitting a bump will cause the suspension to start to ocillate and making you think you're about to die.  Once death wobble starts the only cure is to slow down so the ocillation stops.

What are your exact symptoms? 
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:40:04 PM »
Slight left turn around 60-70 and steering wheel shakes back and forth, jeep shakes. Ive had the deather wobble before with a loose trackbar, same thing. Happens like once very 2 days. Its an 08, so I would hope its not the wheel bearings or ball joints. just rolled to 20K.

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:41:45 PM »
Bnine is the death wobble guru around here.   Hopefully he can jump in and offer some suggestions.   
Fug
TJ Rubicon

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:42:19 PM »
Are your tires cupped?
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »
Yes, I stuck them on the rear. (i got them used, already cupped from being on his jeep, same lift)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:44:50 PM by Convict »

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:44:47 PM »
And they're 37's, if I recall correctly.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 09:45:20 PM »
yup!

Should mention, I got a wheel alignment after the lift.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:48:40 PM by Convict »

Offline stroker sahara

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2009, 09:52:58 PM »
Copied this from another site. Has very interesting info on the subject.

we all expirience it sooner or later, while surfing across the net i found this. It was writtne by Jim frens the owner of nth degree mobility (now works for AEV) he was a engineer at chrysler and knows his isht.

What’s the deal with death wobble / shimmy?

A doctoral dissertation could be done on shimmy (aka ‘Death Wobble’)…It is not so much a ‘design flaw’ but rather an engineering challenge that has yet to be absolutely overcome in suspension design…and we off-roaders just have to live with it more than the rest due to the fact that we do “all the wrong things” to our rigs and basically invite shimmy to happen as a result. Shimmy continues to defeat even the best full-compliance vehicle dynamics modeling programs (Jeep uses ADAMS). The phenomenon is pretty well researched, but it plagues even the factory at times…Jeep almost had to delay/cancel one model launch because it developed a shimmy problem during the last run of prototype parts – only 3 months before launch. We had to ‘tweak’ four things about the suspension to make it go away: reduced lift height to +0.6” from the traditional 1.0”, change durometer of front LCA bushings, re-valve steering damper, and change nominal caster spec…”traditionally”, the last two are the primary things that affect the risk of shimmy, but another major player is front tire balance…they must be *dynamically* balanced (i.e. weights on both rim edges, so the wheel/tire assy is balanced in all planes, not just one).

So here’s the ‘techno-speak’ dissertation on shimmy: It is an imbalance of the gyroscopic forces generated by the spinning front tire/wheel assys…when the ‘setup’ of the front end is ‘vulnerable’ to starting shimmy, it happens due to an asymmetrical force (i.e. one tire hits a bump that the other doesn’t) or also it can happen when the bump-force is not even side-side (in this case it usually happens at higher speed due to say a ‘swell’ on the highway). The problem is worst with wheel-wheel tie-rods (which is why the TJ and most late Jeeps use the Haltenberger linkage – aka ‘inverted Y’ design) because the tires can ‘crosstalk’ directly to each other. The larger/heavier the tire/wheel assy’s are, the stronger the inertia and thus the worse the shimmy can be if it starts….of course a damper is the most direct defense once shimmy starts, but what you *really* want is for it to not start in the first place. For that, you have to look at the ‘free-body diagram’ of the forces that can influence the stability of a spinning front tire/wheel assy. The key for shimmy issues is the distance between the ‘center of tire contact pressure (CTCP, which is not directly below the hub due to ‘pneumatic trail’ – it’s actually further back.) This is the effective center of downforce of the tire’s contact patch when it’s moving/rolling) from the ‘steering point’ (the point where the steering axis intersects the ground plane). If you leave the caster setting at the factory spec of 6-8 degrees while increasing tire diameter from 27-28” to 33-35”, then you’ve effectively *increased* this distance (and therefore the imbalance force it can generate), while at the same time you’ve increased the mass that drives this force (the larger/heavier tire/wheel assy), so when things get to shimmying, they REALLY shimmy! So…what to do? If you’ve followed this far, the answers are easy to ‘guess’, but should be divided into ‘preventative’ and ‘band-aid’ fixes:

Preventative (i.e. will reduce the likelihood of shimmy, in guessed order of empirical relative effectiveness):

1) Keep wheel/tire mass low (i.e. run stock-sized-or-close tires and/or aluminum rims – both of which are likely unacceptable to a real ‘wheeler)

2) Keep CTCP – to – steering point distance short by running stock-ish diameter tires (also not acceptable)

3) Reduce the CTCP – to – steering point distance by reducing caster (moves steering point back towards CTCP)

4) Run radial tires!

5) Dynamic balance the tire/wheel assy’s (weights on both rim edges)

6) Avoid direct wheel-to-wheel tie rods, or if so, have deliberate ‘compliance’ in the tie rod (i.e. not too stiff, but steering feel/precision will suffer)

7) Maintain high lateral stiffness via proper trackbar design and bushing rates (i.e. no non-preloaded urethane bushings and hollow-tube t-bars!)

Tune front control arm bushings on the ‘stiff side’ (i.e. high-ish durometer…TJ uses stiffer LCA bushings than XJ for example, due to trackbar bracket stiffness differences, etc.)

9) Drive slow and/or don’t hit any bumps!

Band-aid-type fixes:

1) Heavy-valved steering damper (helps a lot if tire/wheel mass is 100# per assy or less. Multiple dampers will help with heavier setups, but too much damping will limit steering response time)

2) Match all compliances together to allow drastic violation of above guidelines (i.e. apply a lot of engineering to the bushings and linkage stiffnesses while screwing up the other engineering parameters…)

…so what’s the “Bottom Line”? It’s this: the stock caster spec is NOT the appropriate spec for your lifted Jeep running bigger tires. For 33” tires, I recommend about 5.0 degrees, and for 35” – about 4.0 degrees.

Ultimately your issues (or not) with shimmy will be determined by how well your rig is ‘set up’ either by you or your shop…so the main thing we’re doing is putting some watered-down version of the above in our product instructions (i.e. a new caster spec based on tire size), but also we’ve made sure that the lower caster setting is in the middle of the adjustment range so you have a chance of setting proper caster (which I’ve found isn’t possible with some lifts), and this will help you understand why we’ve designed the front trackbar as a factory-type one-piece solid forging with high-durometer, rate-plated bushings and a stiff trackbar bracket/brace.
If you want to run with the big dogs you have to be able to pee in the tall grass.

1989 YJ SOA, 36" SX, 4.6 Stroker...

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »
Next step Im going to try and shouldve done originally... Beefed up steering stabilizer and tire balance. Maybe help with the cupped tires.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 02:02:05 AM »
The above post has some ok advice. Ignore the caster BS, its web wheeler rhetoric.

The first thing to do is shake test the front end. Have someone cycle the wheel, motor off, from 11-1 oclock. Find out what has movement.

More then likely its your track bar.

Joints an bearings should be fine with that low km's. Watch for movement between the dust sheild and rotor just make sure on the wheel bearings.

Worse case is that your CA bushings are to weak to handle the weight and quality of the rubber you are running.

Shortest fixes for that is better rubber, hydro assist, or upgraded suspension.

You have two choices, run better quality  and or lighter rim and tire combonation, or spend the money strengthening your suspension and steering to handle the forces fo the big rubber.

For now, you should be able to dial it out with a jeep as new as yours.

Good luck

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:30 AM »
I got a couple Jk things for you to take a look at.

1)  As you have a Sky Jacker lift check your front trackbar bracket.  A lot of JKs have had them go bad VERY quickly, some have even failed with the factory 32's, and no wheeling.  If it's starting to tear or break you should see the lines/wrinkles/tears starting.  The Skyjacker kit also uses a bracket extension on the front bracket (sure I've mentioned this somewhere on this board before, having deja vu...) which is like throwing a snipe on something.  It multiplies the forces exerted.

2)  Another one to check might be the tie-rod.  I haven't dinged mine yet, but apparently these stock ones fold like cheese slices.  Rock Krawler makes a forged one, but you've gotta get the moog end yourself.  Sure that could throw something out, but I would think that would just be wonky all the time.  Dunno enough yet about suspension/steering/alignments to say.  Sure Bill can answer this for you.

What else have I heard about d-wobble and sky jacker.....think think.

3)  Oh, have a dropped pitman arm?  Bet you kit didn't come with one.  At the 4" height level you should be thinking that or something like the TeraFlex drag-link flip kit.  I think maybe Poly Performance or Rock Krawler make something similar.  I'll probably F this explanation, so I'm poaching this link (all these kits do a similar thing)  http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=53724&highlight=teraflex+flip.

That's all I got for you man.  Hope you get it worked out.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »
Will check all posted, thanks guys. Yes I have a drop pitman arm bracket. Will post up right away.

Offline Wheelhop

• Winch Wench
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
Your symptoms sound a little different than mine were but there's no harm in checking. My front driveshaft was bent and caused vibration and shaking at different speeds. Lift up the front end and spin the tires while looking at the shaft. I had spent about 800$ on replacing various components before noticing the bent shaft.
Good luck.
Dennis

Offline LAHAL

• Budget Lift
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
Did you re-center your steering wheel. I know if its off, you will get the death wobble like crazy. Here is a link.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-ups/basic-do-it-yourself-jeep-jk-wrangler-front-end-alignment

Your stock steering stabilizer should be fine with 37", aftermarket ones only hide the problem, they don't fix it.