Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The dreaded death wobble...  (Read 9948 times)

Offline 4runner

• Winch Wench
Re: The dreaded death wobble...
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:10 PM »
every time i've encontered death wobbles on a few different vehicles i just changed the steering stab and cured the problem.i've had to change brand new steering stab also because they were faulty from the factory

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 03:43:26 PM »
Front track bar mount came loose. Barley visible to the eye, but after I installed my procomp SS, the death wobble got worse and worse. Till today I couldnt drive 50 M without it shaking to death.

Of coarse, I was in Red Deer without my garage or tools and its saturday so NOTHING was open..... the only place I found open was.... ugh.... toyota....and canadian tire.... so toyota it was.

But they were nice and tightened my bolts and added locktite for free! Drives good now, just need some upper adjustables to correct my castor.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »
so in the instructions for the lift you installed the last thing was to road test and re-torque everything after 100-500kms. and then re-torque everyhting every now and then. once you've modified these vehicles the maintenance goes up. but its a small price to pay. next time you feel the death wobble you'll know where to look. good build up on the jk by the way:)
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 01:25:15 PM »
Temp solution. Its back big time... Everything is tight that I can see. The angle between the trackbar and drag link seem fine... Still haven't balanced tires, but man am I sick of this wobble. On the highway its fine but I can't go 100 meters in town with it.

Offline AV.NINE

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 07:06:26 PM »
I put on the stock stabilizer and no more death wobble.... WTF!?

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:04 PM »
Death wobble is a result of a certain amount of force applied to the suspension, and the ability for those forces to go into a resonating harmonic frequency.

Very small changes in things like dampeners, tire pressure, tire balance, etc etc can make it recede for a short time.

The problem is still there, its just held off for the moment.

Your best bet is to get someone that really knows what to look for take a look at it for you. Not necessarily a shop either. Very few shops are actually good at diagnosing and correcting death wobble properly.

There is something weak or way out in your front end.  The fact that small changes in the stabilizers is making it come and go confirms it.

Are you in red deer? Try to hook up with Brink. He should be able to spot it for you.

If you are in calgary, get Dougy to bring you by. I'll pick it out for you.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
Vibrations that you can start at a certain speed but can be accelerated through are 99% always tires out of balance

Balance the tires

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »
I've put truxus MT's on a couple of different customers vehicle's and they always take stupid amount of weight. and have even checked the balance of the rim without a tire on it. Just my opinion but for what the truxus cost now, they take way to much weight and should be manufactured better. My thoughts are that your tires are wearing unevenly and causing them to go out of balance. For the same or less money you can throw a set of mickey Ts, or cooper STTs or a number of other better brands of tires on when it comes time to replace truxus MTs. I've found that even with worn bushings and less than par track bars, if a vehicle has a proper alignment and balanced tires, you shouldn't get DW.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 05:33:05 PM »
Unit bearings are about 100 to 150 takes me about an hour to change both sides

I still think you need to balance the tires

If I'm reading what you posted earlier correctly the wobble occurs about 80 kph but above and below that its not there If this is correct balance the tires before anything else (if balancing doesn't do anything for the wobble , you buy the unit bearings and I'll change them for you)

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
If you go to a shop that sells tire products, they'll have a chart that goes by the size of tire that you're running telling you how many ounces of balancer you need. Running them on a balancer doesn't work.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »
you can try air soft pellets, but for the twenty buck or so, use "couteract"  balancing beads. If you're going through the hasle of breaking the bead, might as well use the stuff thats made for balancing. It comes in different size(weight) packages.

1. Break bead
2. Open package
3. Throw bag with stuff into tire
4. Reseat tire and drive, bag breaks open and you have balanced tires.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:19 AM »
balance the tires first then ad the  airsoft pellets or balancing compound one the stuff is added to the inside of the tire the only way to balance the tires is to remove  it
The manufactures of balancing compound recommend you balance the tires first then add the compound so that as the tires wear it keeps them in balance
below 40kph the compound will not help in fact it might hinder the tire is not spinning fast enough for the product to spread out so you might end up with a major shimmy at low speed if the compound settles at the heavy side of the tire

That said go get the tires balanced and see if the wobble gos away if it dosen't it could be time for unit bearing or ball joints or tie rod ends or track bar bushing
start with the cheapest and go from there

the other option is if you could borrow a set of wheels from someone else and put them on yours and see if the problem go's away then you know its the tires

Post a vid of the end components with the jeep sitting on its wheels with the engine off and someone rocking the steering wheel from 11 to 1 and i'll tell you if you need front end parts

Steve
TJ with some stuff

Offline Marco

• UberWheeler
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 01:27:22 AM »
i powder balanced my bias-ply swampers and put a new bearing in my frontoutput shaft in t-case(first time actually pretty easy,and mine was halarious so messed)and was a WORLD of difference.and thats with my track bar being shot....and bias ply tires...I dont know enough about all of the science but know for sure a lot of small little issues can create super death wobble. i may have"band aided"the real problem but seemed to have cured it so far? just a thought after reading through the thread and parts about tires/wheels,

98 tj retrofit rubicon 44's on 36 bias swampers.
locked and loaded

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 12:36:16 PM »
i put airsoft in my 36in tsls it worked great, did it last year and all is still good. it made a huge diferance, now i can cruse down the highway with out my jeep shaking appart 8)
i think the Dynabeads is probly a bit better way to go.
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
the airsoft re ballance every time you take off from being stoped, where i think the other stuff uses static electricity to stay stuck to the inside of the tire so they dont have to rebalance every time you take off.
i never realy reserched this and am just going off what im told. ;)
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf