Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: The dreaded death wobble...  (Read 9943 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: The dreaded death wobble...
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »
Stop the madness. Pat, your front end is worn out, and Trxus are tough tire to balance. These guys talking about pixie dust and the other balancing gimmicks arent stopping to realize that they are a bandaid, no more effective then a new stabilizer.

The only thing the trxus does in regards to death wobble is exagerate sooner then a smoother running tire will.

regardless, your wobbles have SFA to do with your balance, unless the tire has blown a belt, gone out of round, or your rim is bent.

I've said this 100 times on this site, and fixed as many for nearly as many times. DEATH WOBBLE IS NOT DIRECTLY RELATED TO TIRE BALANCE OR WHEEL ALIGNMENTS.

Pat, if you are experiencing early onset of death wobble, bring your jeep over and I will show you how to diagnose it.

I've done this for 50 some members on this board, and solved this issue at least two hundred times.

Not once have had them balance their tires, get an alignment, or fill their rims with pixie dust.

Sorry if this post is a bit aggressive. People getting mislead on steering issues via web wheeling is a a bit of a pet peeve of mine.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 09:09:07 PM by Bnine »
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »
Bill he said he has a wobble at 80 but not 90 thats not DW is it ?
TJ with some stuff

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 07:22:21 AM »
http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=3590

For your tire balancing information. I'd probably go the BB idea over the packaged ones. Even with the valve stems replaced with special stems I've still had a few issues when airing down.
If it's a death wobble situation. Get rid of it for good by selling the TJ and pick up a CJ. Only wobble you have then is from lose wheel bearings. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 07:25:18 AM by Hi Lo Silver »

Offline XJHERO

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Soberphobic
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:07 AM »
the airsoft re ballance every time you take off from being stoped, where i think the other stuff uses static electricity to stay stuck to the inside of the tire so they dont have to rebalance every time you take off.
i never realy reserched this and am just going off what im told. ;)
sorry to clarify i was onlt talking about balincing tires not geting rid of DW. BILL :P
Like ivry soap....pure as frack
DD
Get at me Wolf

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 09:50:34 AM »
i'd just dump the trxus............ the ones on my ZJ shook worse than my iroks...................
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 11:05:25 AM »
Well if I had a boatload of money *and* hadn't won a second set, I'd consider it. Oh and that they perform fantastically other than balance and weight issues.

tell ya what, when you have a boatload of money, i'll be the Skipper of that boat anytime!

i did the pixie dust thing....... didn't work worth a poop. went through unit bearings every 3 months............. so i bought a DD instead of continually fixin my trail rig/DD.  they were decent enough trail tires but felt like swampers on road....
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 08:02:32 PM »
Sell the set of truxus that you won and get a decent set with the proceeds, when your present set is worn out.
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Rookie

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • build it, break it, rebuild it better
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
Well now that I've had pixie dust in all 4 tires (quite a bit too)... and had people check the front end ... and been offroad etc., I decided to figure out which <family site - deletions performed> tire despite all appearances of being fine has a problem.  Since a fellow in a truck the other day just about fell out of his truck staring at my right front wheel when the hop started happening, I started there. 

Added pixie dust to the spare (slow leak) and put it on the right-front.  WOW... the bounce/wobble is gone and it's WAY smoother than before... oh and I've been getting much better mileage even with the bad tire on, so I believe in pixie dust, but it won't fix a bum tire or suspension problems.  I figure hundreds of thousands of kilometers of testing with commercial trucks is a pretty good indicator.

If I remember, I'll post an update when I have more time on these tires with the pixie dust in.

I hate to say it but

I TOLD YOU SO
TJ with some stuff

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 10:38:31 PM »
I hate to say it but

No you don't.... you live to say that!!
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 11:53:29 PM »
Sell the tires on kijiji. And with the amount that the intercos have jumped in the last year or so, you shouldn't get soaked on them. For a good go everywhere tire consider a MTZ. I was surprised at how well they work on ice.PM
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »
Bear in mind that you're not limited to running tires exactly the way that they came from the factory. So far I've been very happy with the results from siping my BFG Mud Terrains.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2009, 11:28:14 AM »
Most tire places seem to view siping as some sort of strange voodoo. They don't really want to talk about it and certainly don't want to do it.

I found a place that would sipe my factory tires for me, even after I had driven on them. Their only request was that the tires were relatively clean and not too worn.

More to the point the manager of the place managed to convince me that he was confident in the work that his guys would do. His comment to was "If I screw up your tire, I'll buy you a new one."

I'll PM you the location and price.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »
You should just post the location so we all know who does it and backs their work with a guarantee like that..
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »
They're not someone that has sponsored the club in the past, so I don't want to step on toes. If it's okay with the execs, I certainly have no issues posting the details - they did right by me.

Offline mrjeep4

• UberWheeler
  • Don't forget your Super Safety Suit
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2009, 04:55:18 PM »
They're not someone that has sponsored the club in the past, so I don't want to step on toes. If it's okay with the execs, I certainly have no issues posting the details - they did right by me

Nothing wrong with sharing info on a company that does good work .    ;D   
03 Rubicon 6" full traction long arm on 35's, warn 9ti winch,custon flat fenders and side rails
-----------------------------------------------------