Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: who woulda guessed....  (Read 16819 times)

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
who woulda guessed....
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:47:56 AM »
Who woulda guess that it would be this difficult to part with money when I was more than willing too! :o Basically, I'm in the market for 1. Warn or other rock sliders $400-$500. 2. Garvin tire carrier with accessories $1300. 3. OR-Fab or Rockhard sports cage $650ish, fuel and engine/oil skids $400ish, and diff cover armour $200ish. Well, no shops seem to ever carry much inventory and of course it takes weeks to months to bring stuff in. >:( Why is this? I can understand not having a ton of capital tied up in inventory that's not going to move very fast like complete Dynatrac axle assemblies that would retail for $3500.00, but why wouldn't skidplates and rocker guards be plentiful and available??????? I also don't think it's fair that some places require full payment up front to order something that will take the shop 3 weeks to 3 months to get, that's total B.S. >:( >:( I can understand maybe 50% deposit, that would be fair. It sure must be nice to live in the US.... Go down to your local shop and buy what you want and if they don't have it, it's most likely an over night deal. It's 2009, and it seems like the dark ages here in Canada when you want some automotive stuff sometimes!!  ::) ::)So I was willing to part with roughly $3000.00, but I completely lost the impulse to buy when everything had to be ordered and would take so long to come. Makes you wonder how many lost sales these business give up, especially those impulse buys that people make. Maybe they should stock less tires and rims and stock more actual parts. Anyways, that's my rant...it's just really fustrating when you are really busy and trying to get ready for the upcoming wheelin' and camping season. If anyone knows where I can get some of the stuff mentioned or you are a fabricator making any of this let me know. I do fab some stuff myself, but I'm just too busy lately, so sometimes it would be nice to just buy the stuff I need and bolt it on. It's all for a 2002 TJ. Thanks.

RACKMAN 
2005 Jeep LJ Rubicon. 2012 Ram 2500 Cummins 4X4 Crewcab.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
Re: who woulda guessed....
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:21:24 AM »
I had the same problem as you last week. I came back to several stores, and it felt like I was begging. I was also told it would take a while for my items to come in. They need a minimum amount of orders from some companies to ship things. More people are getting out of  trucks and into quads, so these companies don't want to stock items that will take forever to get rid of. If you own a big diesel truck, and want some 22" chrome rims...they will probably have those! If you are looking for a good fab shop; try one of these:

1. Krossloch Fabrication in Edmonton. Ask for Craig. He has sliders or will make some.  (780)-990-4295

2. Brink Fabrications in Sylvan Lake? Eric (403)-304-0024. He can make cages, tire carriers or whatever.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:36:09 AM »
So why drive somewhere and order it, when you can do so from your home computer for the same amount of delivery time, and also up front payment?  :-\

Go see a fabricator and buy local....
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:19:30 AM »
So why drive somewhere and order it, when you can do so from your home computer for the same amount of delivery time, and also up front payment?  :-\

Go see a fabricator and buy local....

I'm beginning to see the wisdom here.

I'm still at the beginning of the process of having my front bumper fabbed, but so far I'm really liking what I'm seeing and how I'm being treated.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Fredduck

• That CB Yapper
  • RIDE ON
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »
I was thinking the very same thing however;
In my real life I run a maintenance shop at an airport, most if not all of the equipment is built in the U.S.
So ordering parts involves a long distance phone call, days of waiting or a big expense having it air freighted in.

While building the YJ I searched locally for some hard to find items prior to looking to the U.S. and as expected I found nothing locally.

With the economy in the toilet in the U.S. most online places are offering free shipping...in the U.S. but when you phone them it's not available to Canada.
When you look at prices in the states they actually look pretty good, until you do the exchange, shipping and brokerage.
Unfortunately Canada has given up a lot of  their manufacturing to the U.S. and the U.S. has sent their manufacturing off shore.

We need to support our local fabricators, and with that support maybe they could expand their lines to include custom built diffs, roll cage packages and suspension parts.

So the next time your looking for custom pieces or suspension parts look locally first, I know EVO's heims are killer and they are a local supplier... no exchange rate on your dollar.

3.9 CTD - 7000R4  NP241c SSYE, Dana 44.  9 inch, 4.10's  and 37's

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »
If you are interested in OR-Fab give Will a call at North Shore Off Road.

I ordered a sport cage for my TJ from him yesterday for a fair bit less than the number you quoted.  

1-866-507-5674

Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:03 AM »
i think the main point is that it is 2009 and the same old bullshit is still going on. i really hope that some of the people that work in these shops will notice the loss of customers due to lack of in-stock parts. then again, if its been going on for this long, im sure they think that they know better and will continue to offer poor parts supply. waiting any longer then a couple of weeks for parts is rediculous. ive heard the horror stories of parts showing up a year after they were ordered. id feel embarassed if i ran a shop and this is what went on.
within the next 2 years ill be ordering a lot of parts for my own vehicle and it really bums me out that its not a money issue at all, its a supply issue. and its out of my hands.
so, i will give the local guys a chance at my money, but as soon as it looks like too much hassle, im a phone call away from having it direct from the states. a little more money yes, but i get what i want. and that way more important to me.
my rant...
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
I can understand not having a lot of stuff on the shelf but having to wait a month for a lift form a major company is kinda dumb.  For some reason the shops here are more inclined to cater to the crowd that wants 22" chrome rims and 40" tires, seeing as thats all they seem to stock in abundance.  The problem is also the couple of stores in Calgary have the market cornered when the dollar sucks, so its the customer who does the work by finding part numbers and asking nicely to pay $1500 for parts up front.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:17:52 AM by fraserb1986 »

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:19:16 AM »
I got all excited last night that Kaiser-Willys was offering free shipping....until I saw it was the lower 48 states only.

Just remember too that giving the local shops your money for US produced products means giving the majority of that cash to the US - the tiny profit margin is the only thing your are stimulating our economy with up here. If you want to support the economy, buy Canadian steel, local fabricators, etc....

I don't have a problem with local shops making money, but three months is out of the question for shipping.  
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 10:24:59 AM »
Yeah, I bought the steel for my bumper here in Calgary and anm getting a local guy to fab it, but its hard to find a local fabricator or supplier who can get their hands on rubicon express stuff or build a kit thats on par.

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »
If you are interested in OR-Fab give Will a call at North Shore Off Road.

I ordered a sport cage for my TJ from him yesterday for a fair bit less than the number you quoted.  

1-866-507-5674

I went to their website and their product list doesn't include OR-Fab, but I will call them. Thanks.

RACKMAN

Offline RACKMAN

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »
I can understand not having a lot of stuff on the shelf but having to wait a month for a lift form a major company is kinda dumb.  For some reason the shops here are more inclined to cater to the crowd that wants 22" chrome rims and 40" tires, seeing as thats all they seem to stock in abundance.  The problem is also the couple of stores in Calgary have the market cornered when the dollar sucks, so its the customer who does the work by finding part numbers and asking nicely to pay $1500 for parts up front.
EXACTLY!!!!! The other day I phoned a LOCAL shop for prices and availability, and was basically told to hurry up and spit it out as there was 3-4 people in line at the desk. Well sorry for trying to spend my money in your shop. I do a lot of research on want parts I think I need, so it's not like I'm a tire kicker wasting the shops time, and they already know that about me and they know I will most likely buy what I'm calling about. But I think after this last few days of B.S. I'm just going to suck it up and pay for shipping from NSOR for EVERYTHING or go to the States and just bite the bullet on exchange, brokerage, etc.....More money.... yes, less fustration  and stress.....YES. And as for the shops making only a little on the mark up on parts, that should not be an issue at all....they choose to be in this business...they make their big money on installs and repairs and some products, so they have to take the GOOD with the  BAD.....that's life, that's being in business, that's providing the right customer service!!!!!!  When I was a young man I worked for a man that owned Canopyland on Barlow trail(now it's called Truck Outfitters I think)....anyways, he definitely subscribed to a different way of thinking....instead of NOT keeping much stock on hand, he COMPLETELY filled his store with truck accessories and the yard with truck canopies. This worked beautifully for his business! When people came in thinking that they were just going to get a price and availability, we would have what they wanted already in stock. He sold so many canopies due to impulse buys that some days, us installers had a line of pick-ups 20 deep for canopy installs. It was unbelievable some days. He retired a VERY rich man. My point is...common items like rock sliders will sell, so why not have a ton on hand???????????????????

RACKMAN
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 11:53:19 AM by RACKMAN »

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »
And as for the shops making only a little on the mark up on parts, that should not be an issue at all....they choose to be in this business...they make their big money on installs and repairs and some products, so they have to take the GOOD with the  BAD.....that's life, that's being in business, that's providing the right customer service!!!!!! 

Just to clarify, my point wasn't about how little the profit is compared to what you actually pay.  It was more of which economy that little part goes to, and where the larger part of the total price goes.  ;)

But you're right....low overhead is one thing, but out of stock for months is crazy.  What other business would we accept three months shipping from?

Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline newfie

• Budget Lift
  • newbie and loven it
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »
This is so true
and the  support is horrible. I bought a alternator at a shop   SO this was in sept  that it blew up and i took it there to get  warrenty on it,                        i still dont have my alternator.
they tell me it because of the shop in the states they are waiting for them to ship them one. Now im sorry but if u sell a product you should stand behind it.
i THOUGH that they would exchange it/ give me one untill the new one got here/ nope sorry sir .
not only am i never spending another dime in said un-named store   if there is someway to buy locally or get some of the guys on here to fab my parts DONE, i don't  care if it cost me a litte more to do it
rather put money in canadian pockets who will stand behind their work .

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 03:28:13 PM by XJHERO »
newfies are everywhere