Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: 101 ride  (Read 15486 times)

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
101 ride
« on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »
Need pointers on offroading. wonder what the off road 101 offers. What are the odds of damage? Is it June 13? Please fill me in.
08 Rubicon

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: 101 ride
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 09:27:29 AM »
Need pointers on offroading. wonder what the off road 101 offers.

If Waytec arranges it thes same way he did last year (I imagine he will, since it was a BIG success last year!)

-Meet at the McLean Creek store
-Non-members will provide proof that they have insurance and sign club waivers
-Drive to the gravel pit, and then spend the morning rotating through a series of instructional "stations", each with an experience Jeeper to give you pointers.
-Break off into reasonable sized groups to tackle stocker-friendly trails

What are the odds of damage?

If you listen to the experienced folks, quite low. There are never any guarantess when you're off-roading, but I don't think that anyone broke anything last year  8)

Is it June 13?

Yes

Please fill me in.

It's a great time. Coming out to Jeep 101 will get you a foundation of solid skills to let you start tackling trails in a sfe and responsible manner - and let you know what to expect when you're out with the CJA.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:42:30 AM »
and ya get to get dirty!!!!!! can't forget that one.
Seriously it starts a great foundation for off-roading. But nothing susbstitutes for experience.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

mudmuncher

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:17:28 PM »
my jeep has no insurance as it is just a tril rig can i still come ouit and do the jeep 1o1, to teach my gf stuff so she can learn more on safe offroading,i my self have been ofroad for over 15 yrs every thing  from trails to offroad racing.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:25:02 PM »
Tagg
I would strongly suggest the Off-Road 101. Also come out to some of the newbie runs. The goal of the 101 is to make you conferrable and safe on the trail.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:25:11 PM »
Don't you need insurance for any off road vehicle (quads/bikes) in Alberta? I know they have to be registered for sure.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »
Don't you need insurance for any off road vehicle (quads/bikes) in Alberta? I know they have to be registered for sure.

That is a crock of shyt... all vehicle needs to be insured.  What happen if you hit someone else on the trail and you kill them?

at least PLPD... really think about it!

All vehicles needs to be insured and all drivers must have a proper driver licence for Offroad 101.

I think last year we require that the vehicle was insured under the driver's name.

Thanks

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 01:51:50 PM »
Also... Tagg... if you decide to take offroading as a hobby, expect to get some scratches on your Jeep or even body damage. I

We cannot promise that it will not happen... you will be in a safe area with people that know what they are doing. We do things a certain way to make sure people are safe.

When you offroad, things can turn sour real quick. One has to make sure they make the right decision so nobody gets hurt and your vehicle does not get damaged.

I do not want to discourage you but you have to know that there is a risk your jeep might get damage. Like there is a risk you get hit by another vehicle on the road. I hope you catch my drift...

Looking forward to meeting you all at Jeep 101

Cheers,

Dom

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »
The owner must be present. Dos not have to driving but must be present.
The drive must have valid drivers license.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

mudmuncher

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »
i got ahold my insurance lady my o1 jeep tj will cost me 300 a moth for OHV insurance an i only wheel 2 times a month as for damage ha i'm not worried as i have roled it two times and hit several trees. pound out the dents and keep wheeling

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 02:01:31 PM »
What about the vehicles that you could potentially hit?
What we are saying is:
Proof of insurance and a valid drivers liscense and you can wheel with us.... otherwise, please stay as far away from us as you can. Everyone has to have their arse covered.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:24 PM »
I have a bit of a hard time reading you reply mon ami but please make sure you have insurance for your Jeep if you and your girlfriend want to attend.

There will be no rolling and hitting trees on offroad 101 (at least we are not trying to expose new jeepers to these situations)...  It is for novice Jeepers.

That is our requirement.

Thank you

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 04:30:15 PM »
i got ahold my insurance lady my o1 jeep tj will cost me 300 a moth for OHV insurance an i only wheel 2 times a month as for damage ha i'm not worried as i have roled it two times and hit several trees. pound out the dents and keep wheeling

I'm sure that you can find insurance that is a LOT cheaper than $300/month.  I pay $70/month and I drive it year round.  Like Dona nd Trev said, you need insurance no matter what.  If you hit a fellow Jeeper and mess up their rig and possibly injure them, who is gonna pay?

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 10:51:31 PM »
Why do you have to call me names man!!! ;) Dona?

;D

$300 a month!!!!... Holy crap! What kind of a driving record do you have dude?  I think you might have to read between the lines here. May be you insurance company does not want to insure you. :-[ 

I pay $58 a month for PLPD and I think it's a rip off. :o
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:44:13 AM by SwampSinger »

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
LOL!!!
my trail rig is about $40/ month. My other 3 together are about $50/month. What kinda of record do you have Dona?  :)