Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: FINAL GAMP COMMENT - Nov 10/05 - READ THIS!  (Read 5302 times)

wolf359

FINAL GAMP COMMENT - Nov 10/05 - READ THIS!
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:05:13 AM »
Background

In April of 2005, Alberta Sustainable Resource Development unveiled a proposed access management plan (GAMP) for the Ghost area that would severely restrict access to all forms of motorized users by up to 95%. Since that time, the various motorized user groups, including the AURS, have attended meetings and provided input and information to SRD on this proposed draft plan.

Current Status:

SRD has instituted a deadline of NOVEMBER 10th, 2005 to be the last day that they will accept written responses to the GAMP proposal.

THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO HAVE YOUR VOICE HEARD ON THE FUTURE OF OHV ACTIVITIES IN THE GHOST/WAIPAROUS AREA.

SRD absolutely must hear your opposition to the severe restrictions put forth by GAMP.

Currently, the proposed map cuts the existing trail system from 1500 square km, to 10 square km or less.

The link below is a COMMENT FORM on the GHOST/WAIPAROUS ACCESS MANAGEMENT PLAN.

Please fill it out and mail or FAX this form to the following address:

Rick Blackwood - Area Manager
Public Lands and Forest Division, AB Sustainable Resource Development
8660 Bearspaw Dam Road NW
Calgary, Alberta
T3L 1S4

FAX: 403-297-8847

THIS FORM MUST BE MAILED OR FAXED BY NOVEMBER 10, 2005 TO BE CONSIDERED.

Thank you for your time.

GAMP Comment FORM

wolf359

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 02:20:57 PM »
The first (roughly 60 responses) we received from the meeting on Saturday have been bundled up from the weekend and are being sent off to the principals at SRD....

We have 3 days left to provide a response to GAMP, if you haven't let your voice be heard by the people who are architecting the future of your access to this area, you MUST speak up now.

Being silent and angry helps no one.

There is nothing more important right now than making sure GAMP is a reasonable, enforceable, working document that has the support of the stake-holders.  

You need to let the government know that as it currently is written, it does not have your support.

wolf359

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 02:41:27 PM »
Some sample RANDOM responses from the weekend:

Question:  Has the (GAMP) Planning Team overlooked any important information, issues or ideas with development of the trail criteria that could influence trails(s) selected as shown on the draft map?  Please explain.

Sample Answers:

Stakeholder input was NOT considered.  An accurate inventory of the trail system was not completed when the conclusion was drawn to restrict 95% of the trail system to trucks.  This is not acceptable.

No Fairness to all user-groups.  4x4's are provided too little trails.

The entire process is flawed.  The timeline has not allowed for proper trail inventories.

SRD definition of an "impassible: trail is unknown and totally unacceptable/we look for challenging/hard to complete trails as a part of our recreation.

Closing 95% of the trail system will only increase traffic on the remaining trails.

Closing or severely restricting trails to OHV's is not managing.  This is not a management plan, it is a closure plan.

The existing proposed plan will make criminals of thousands of responsible users.

wolf359

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 03:31:05 PM »
When you fill out the form and fax it, bump this thread please.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:03:51 PM »
Thanks :!:   Has the draft GAMP map been released to the public :?:   Being able to refer to it might make responding to the form somewhat easier :wink:

BUMP :!:  :!:  :!:

wolf359

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 09:00:02 AM »
Quote from: "NUXJR"
Thanks :!:   Has the draft GAMP map been released to the public :?:   Being able to refer to it might make responding to the form somewhat easier :wink:

BUMP :!:  :!:  :!:

No, we have not been provided an electronic map or a map we are allowed to copy by SRD.

If you would like to view the map, you can likely make arrangements with Rick Blackwood.

His number is (403) 297-8800.

While you are on the phone, let him know how you feel about the proposed draft GAMP plan...

wolf359

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:04:05 AM »
bump.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:20:50 PM »
Hey Tim

If SRD has not made the draft GAMP map available for public consideration, would that not leave room to appeal whatever they finally put forth :?:

BUMP :!:  :!:  :!:  :!:

wolf359

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 02:22:29 PM »
I'm not a lawyer.

:?

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 03:24:53 PM »
Although i work Saturdays, i still made it in time to fill out the comments for Gamp sheet.
What suprised me the MOST was a complete lack of attendance from ALL the wheelin clubs in Calgary. IF the folks from:
CJA
RMBW
FWS
Hardcore
RMLCA
GP
Nissan

Had of attended with at lest 50% of their membership, than we would have had 300 handfilled forms to give to SRD, Minister Coutts, and all Calgary MLA's.

So, i implore the executives of ALL wheelin clubs of Calgary to get your members to attend the next meeting (there will be one!) and the Rally.
Tom
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

shooter_girl

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 04:31:22 PM »
All AURS members who have a current email address with us should have received this form last night...if you did not receive it pls email me @ memberships.aurs@shaw.ca

Thanks to everyone who has filled out and faxed their forms in!

Offline Joel

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Super Uber Web Wheeler
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 08:56:45 PM »

Just faxed my form.

-Joel
03 TJ - 6" body lift and 31 MTR's, other wise stock.

Offline NUXJR

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 05:42:25 PM »
Quote from: "wolf359"
I'm not a lawyer.

:?

Has anyone within the wheeling community come forward with any legal expertise?  I seem to remember there being some discussion about contacting someone that has had experience with 'land use' issues.  Anything come of that?  I've talked to the few people that I know in the law business but no one with land issues experience.  Asked for referrals & drew a blank.

I don't mean to be a pain in the azz...just thinkin' legal advice might be overdue :wink:

BTW....faxed 6 different forms.  Each a bit different from the other but basically the same message.