Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Hypothetical Question for the mechanics out there  (Read 9213 times)

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
Re: Hypothetical Question for the mechanics out there
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »
Shoulda been around when the dealership mentioned changing my diff fluid.  I said, sure it's time, how much.  She said $240 for both and I almost came unhinged.  They don't even crack the housings and clean em out, that's what they charge to drain them, give them a vacuum, and then refill, plus the cost of new fluid.  I did them myself at a buddy's house.

I mighta been a little chocked at $20 for a light being changed.  $10 maybe for a 2 second job.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »
I am a liscensed auto tech, & owned my own shop.  I changed bulbs for free as a courtasy to my customers if the change was easy.  However it blows my mind that the auto repair industry is the only place in the world that people expect freebies, do you guys go to wal mart & ask for free sh!t?  Do you expect a framer,  framing a house to frame some extra walls for free, or an electrician to install some extra runs for free?  The answer is no because you already know that is the answer you will recieve.

My question to everyone is why do you EXPECT freebies from the auto industry & dont harrass the wallmert clerk for free stuff?

Just an F.Y.I. about the cost of oil, I payed more per litre buying 1000 litres at a time, than I pay walking into walmart to buy 1 litre.   Also you should pay markup for oil/parts because you recieve a warranty with the work, if people want parts at cost then buy them yourself & stop a canadian tire on the way home to get the tools to install them yourself AKA no warranty.

Also do you guys go to the keg & bring your own steak or expect them to sell you the steak at cost?

I find this post very hypocritical.  How many of you go to work each day & work for free?  What everyone expects from the auto industry is the same as if your boss asked you to work late for free.  I wonder what your answer would be.

END RANT.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:27:49 PM by 4PLAYZJ »

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 09:26:26 PM »
I am a liscensed auto tech, & owned my own shop.  I changed bulbs for free as a courtasy to my customers if the change was easy.  However it blows my mind that the auto repair industry is the only place in the world that people expect freebies, do you guys go to wal mart & ask for free sh!t?  Do you expect a framer,  framing a house to frame some extra walls for free, or an electrician to install some extra runs for free?  The answer is no because you already know that is the answer you will recieve.

My question to everyone is why do you EXPECT freebies from the auto industry & dont harrass the wallmert clerk for free stuff?

Apples to oranges. I take your point, but as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread - I've been on the other side of the table. I can't begin to count the number of times that while I was on site for a customer, an additional request was made of me (and the same thing occurs daily with our employees). Yes, we will charge for additional consumables or expense incurred - but I have never seen additional charges tacked on for a task which did not involve any substantial investment of time or expense.

A tech that isn't willing to change a bulb for a customer because he's not being paid for that specific job as a line item on his invoice to the his employer - that's a shortsighted tech. If you squeeze the customer for every nickel and dime you possibly can, they're not going to come away feeling good about your operation. If I don't feel good about a shop, what incentive do I have to go there when I have a real problem? One that may be far more lucrative for that shop, and that tech.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 08:18:13 AM »
Thats just the point. You were in for an oil change. There is no money in oil changes. Had it been a large job, something like a buld is likely thrown in.

I spoke with my dad about this last night. He confirmed that the margins are smaller on synthetic changes, and that there really isnt any money in oil changes.

He wouldnt hand out a small freebie to a relatively unknown customer that had his vehicle in for a job that doesnt make any money either.

On the other hand, he has established customers roll through the drivethrough once in a while that he will grab an apprentice and have the bulb changed for free.

You have two choices. You can stick to your guns, remain angry, and more then likely ruin your relationship with your dealer, or you can take advice given here, learn how the industry works, and use it to your advantage in the future.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »
A tech that isn't willing to change a bulb for a customer because he's not being paid for that specific job as a line item on his invoice to the his employer - that's a shortsighted tech. If you squeeze the customer for every nickel and dime you possibly can, they're not going to come away feeling good about your operation. If I don't feel good about a shop, what incentive do I have to go there when I have a real problem? One that may be far more lucrative for that shop, and that tech.

this reminds me of an interesting situation when i worked in an aftermarket assessory place in Edmonton.  people would come in, order a swack load of garbage for their rig rockets.  as a sign of good faith and what not, i replaced a tailgate end cap with one we had kicking around cause his was garbage.  needless to say, customer was thrilled.  he raved about how good the boys in the back were.  next time in, he orders a bunch of more crap, and insists we throw in a set of mud flaps for nothing.  sales guy eventually caves cause he's 'spent a lot and comes in a bunch'  no i get pisseed off cause i'm doing a set of flaps on teh floor in January and the truck just came from the rigs.... so its muddy and snowy.. agaian customers happy..

next time in, he asks for some huge discount on something cause he 'is a regular customer blah blah blah' wanted free step bars with his Canopy.  the sales guy finally says NO.

well, customer storms out, doesn't order the canopy, and raves about his 'bad service'

point is, if you give a little, it becomes EXPECTED and as humans you will always push for more, and then BAM, finally you say no, and customer just gets fumed off cause you've treated him different from before... now you've given free stuff away, AND lost the customer.  so we lost a customer and get bad rep because he didn't get  FREE THINGS.....

best example is your rant right now. ur angry cause you didn't get something for free.  i understand its a bulb, and if your jeep were in the shop for something and i had 5 minutes waiting for a part sure, but its an oil change.... how long can the jeep possibly be in the shop for? on the floor in my garage it takes under 10 minutes........

again, this is something that'd tick me off too. so i just don't bring my vehicles in anywhere to get worked on. it'll sit broken in the garage for a month till i figure it out!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:09:44 AM by JOhnnyC »
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

FullMetalJeep

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »
So...someone brings their vehicle in for Lube/Oil/Filter and a tire rotation. They're  a regular customer. They ask you if you could swap out a fog lamp bulb while you're at it.

Do you ding them for an additional labour charge for changing a light bulb? Or do you just bill them for the price of the bulb and see it as a normal maintenance that is done "while you're at it".

depends if they squirt me off.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »

Just an F.Y.I. about the cost of oil, I payed more per litre buying 1000 litres at a time, than I pay walking into walmart to buy 1 litre.   Also you should pay markup for oil/parts because you recieve a warranty with the work, if people want parts at cost then buy them yourself & stop a canadian tire on the way home to get the tools to install them yourself AKA no warranty.

Also do you guys go to the keg & bring your own steak or expect them to sell you the steak at cost?

I find this post very hypocritical.  How many of you go to work each day & work for free?  What everyone expects from the auto industry is the same as if your boss asked you to work late for free.  I wonder what your answer would be.

END RANT.

you did not specifically point at me but i might be one of them.

Firstly, you are using comparisons that are not in the spirit of the OP's question. Changing a light bulb for free is equivalent to the electrician in your house doing work and you ask him to change a burnt out bulb and expect it done for free.
Having the framer in your house and asking him to tap a few nails in on an old project you have not finished and doing it for free.
Those are better examples.

As to bringing my oil in? Well, if you know of a oil place that has Royal Purple in stock, than i guess i would not have to bring it. If you know a shop that stocks oil filters for my RHD diesel Pajero, than i would not have to bring it. Until recently Rotella T was not at my local shop, so i had to bring that too. P.S. i asked first and still pay a premium to get the labor done.

Freebies in my office? OFTEN! Try getting a doctors note from your MD and not paying $30. i do notes and letters often for no charge. Actually, i never charge.

The lesson to be learned is ASK what is it going to cost to do 'said' service before they do it.

:)
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
I do freebies in my industry.... I call it "investment charges"...

I work  in the transportation industry... I don't nickel and dime everything. It works well for me.

Offline TrappersJeep

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »
Time is $$$....
Gotta ask yourself.... what rate would I bill myself out at?

....that's a good question for the working girl on the corner, likely some variables in that hourly rate too! :o  Wonder what she'd charge to "swap a bulb" or "change the fluids"? :-\
RIDER PRIDE IS OUTTA CONTROL!!  CRACK THE PIL AND BRING ON THE CUP!!!

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »
I do freebies in my industry.... I call it "investment charges"...

I work  in the transportation industry... I don't nickel and dime everything. It works well for me.

I know I openned a can of worm and no one jumped on it yet... you guys are SLOW...."I do freebies in my industry"

I thought I woudl lighten the mood...too late now
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:31:30 PM by SwampSinger »

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 04:18:31 PM »
I understand that lots of different business do freebies, I certainly did my fair share.  My whole point was that the differance with the auto industry is that it is "expected"

Tom, it is super that you give notes to your patients for free, but I would wager that none of your customers "expect" it.

That was the whole point of my little rant.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »
gotcha... ;)
the land of entitlement.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
lots of good points from both sides.
one thing id like to add is the oil change to begin with. im paid .4 of an hour to find the keys, find the vehicle, check lights, inspect underhood, set-up hoist/raise vehicle on hoist, inspect under vehicle, drop engine oil(dosent drain instantly), remove filter and let drain, inspect brakes, put together a quote on any problems i find in my 16 point inspection, find parts, talk to service writer about quote and parts availability, drop vehicle down, add new oil. topp up all fluids if needed. park vehicle. bring keys back, type story into computer as to what i did and what i found, make note of anything i need to.
0.4 of an hour is 24 minutes. something as simple as a bulb can add a few minutes and im over my time. if im over my time im losing money. i dont squeeze my customers for every penny. personally i prefer that their vehicle leaves my shop in brand new condition. thats why they bring their vehicle to the dealership. so a few extra pannies here and there goes a long way at a dealership. if you have a problem we will warranty our work, our parts, and anything else we do for you.  :)

YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
lots of good points from both sides.
one thing id like to add is the oil change to begin with. im paid .4 of an hour to find the keys, find the vehicle, check lights, inspect underhood, set-up hoist/raise vehicle on hoist, inspect under vehicle, drop engine oil(dosent drain instantly), remove filter and let drain, inspect brakes, put together a quote on any problems i find in my 16 point inspection, find parts, talk to service writer about quote and parts availability, drop vehicle down, add new oil. topp up all fluids if needed. park vehicle. bring keys back, type story into computer as to what i did and what i found, make note of anything i need to.
0.4 of an hour is 24 minutes. something as simple as a bulb can add a few minutes and im over my time. if im over my time im losing money. i dont squeeze my customers for every penny. personally i prefer that their vehicle leaves my shop in brand new condition. thats why they bring their vehicle to the dealership. so a few extra pannies here and there goes a long way at a dealership. if you have a problem we will warranty our work, our parts, and anything else we do for you.  :)

I should bring my ZJ to ya, you'll have a heart attack and go over time just writing the fix-its needed lol.  BTW, I have had nothing but great service at your place of work.  I picked up my isolators a day earlier than quoted, but they forgot one.  They overnighted it for me so I could pick it up Saturday and finish my lift. :)