Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tread Lightly Canada  (Read 27592 times)

Offline Corey Kruchkowski

• Budget Lift
Re: Tread Lightly Canada
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »
You probably all want to read this and realize the importance of becoming a "stakeholder", asap.

http://www.landuse.alberta.ca/documents/Final_Land_use_Framework.pdf

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 12:42:16 PM »
With all due respect Corey...  Being in Grand Prairie is a complete other world.  No people, lots of land, no closures.  It is completely different here.  Lots of people and everything has been closed already.  There is actually lots of area for the people, they have just closed it all.  It is past the point of no return around Calgary, seriously.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 12:45:50 PM »
I tend to run my mouth off about these things, so I will try to keep myself in check..... ::)

I keep hearing that if you follow the Tread Lightly program to the letter, than no one would ever go wheeling in the province.  Can someone quote some SPECIFIC examples of that?  Otherwise, both sides are hearsay and useless to anyone listening.

On the other hand, I usually get into trouble in things like this (I'm sure Corey will remember a few discussions on Eco), as when everyone talks about some great big organization that is going to come in an be the saviour for all of us, no one can really tell me what they are exactly going to do, and what they have been doing to publicly promote our image.  Then the conversation turns to why do you NEED PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER AND HELP, but you have NOTHING FOR THEM TO DO?  They all want membership dues, and do nothing with them.

By that time, I usually personally volunteer to do any kind of emailing, phoning, canvassing, etc., but people are usually so P.O'd with me trying to get them to show evidence of some sort of plan, that I'm told no one would want me as a volunteer anyway.  :-[

Unfortunately, I can be quite passionate about things....so when I say that I think it is seriously stupid to join an organization that isn't going to show you why they can help you and a definate plan as to what they are going to do......feel free to prove me wrong. Show me a Tread Lightly plan, tell me what they'll do for us. Specifically.  Definately.  Logically and sequentially.

Don't show me a bunch of names and tell me that they are "volunteers at work" with no results to be seen.  Notice the last update for AD4WD is Feb. 18, 2007 on their website.

Rant done.  ;D

PS.  I don't think there is a membership fee for working with SRD.   ;)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 12:48:33 PM by dunl »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

• Budget Lift
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
With all due respect Corey...  Being in Grand Prairie is a complete other world.  No people, lots of land, no closures.  It is completely different here.  Lots of people and everything has been closed already.  There is actually lots of area for the people, they have just closed it all.  It is past the point of no return around Calgary, seriously.

I know - but guess where the "model" for the rest of the province is being experimented with right now?

• Budget Lift
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 03:26:07 PM »
Corey, do you possibly have links to the various documents that they presented at the GAMP committee open house?  I think the one in particular showing the relationships between SRD, committees, volunteers etc. would be of vast benefit to people in understanding how this all fits together.

Yes, I'd like to see a plan.

Email me personally please [email protected]

• Budget Lift
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
I tend to run my mouth off about these things, so I will try to keep myself in check..... ::)

I keep hearing that if you follow the Tread Lightly program to the letter, than no one would ever go wheeling in the province.  Can someone quote some SPECIFIC examples of that?  Otherwise, both sides are hearsay and useless to anyone listening.

On the other hand, I usually get into trouble in things like this (I'm sure Corey will remember a few discussions on Eco), as when everyone talks about some great big organization that is going to come in an be the saviour for all of us, no one can really tell me what they are exactly going to do, and what they have been doing to publicly promote our image.  Then the conversation turns to why do you NEED PEOPLE TO VOLUNTEER AND HELP, but you have NOTHING FOR THEM TO DO?  They all want membership dues, and do nothing with them.

By that time, I usually personally volunteer to do any kind of emailing, phoning, canvassing, etc., but people are usually so P.O'd with me trying to get them to show evidence of some sort of plan, that I'm told no one would want me as a volunteer anyway.  :-[

Unfortunately, I can be quite passionate about things....so when I say that I think it is seriously stupid to join an organization that isn't going to show you why they can help you and a definate plan as to what they are going to do......feel free to prove me wrong. Show me a Tread Lightly plan, tell me what they'll do for us. Specifically.  Definately.  Logically and sequentially.

Don't show me a bunch of names and tell me that they are "volunteers at work" with no results to be seen.  Notice the last update for AD4WD is Feb. 18, 2007 on their website.

Rant done.  ;D

PS.  I don't think there is a membership fee for working with SRD.   ;)

Want to be part of a plan?

Form a stakeholders group. Get organized. (You have done this already)

Contact the SRD in your area, they will know what you are up to and get you the names and emails of the right people to contact.

As above - stake out your turf using maps. The SRD love maps.

Make sure you get reps on the stakeholder committee being formed in your area right now.

It's pretty much the only plan based on the way the rules have now been structured.

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »
I know - but guess where the "model" for the rest of the province is being experimented with right now?

My personal belief is Calgary.  The rest of the province will follow our lead sooner than you think.  We will see in a couple of years who is correct.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2009, 03:40:10 PM »
Want to be part of a plan?

Form a stakeholders group. Get organized. (You have done this already)

Contact the SRD in your area, they will know what you are up to and get you the names and emails of the right people to contact.

As above - stake out your turf using maps. The SRD love maps.

Make sure you get reps on the stakeholder committee being formed in your area right now.

It's pretty much the only plan based on the way the rules have now been structured.

The call has been put in.  If you have any contacts who have contacts down this way, I'd appreciate if you could drop a few names my way. :)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

• Budget Lift
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
The call has been put in.  If you have any contacts who have contacts down this way, I'd appreciate if you could drop a few names my way. :)

I would also like to help you find areas to "steward" over. My job gives me access to some very sophisticated mapping software.

• Budget Lift
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:14 PM »
My personal belief is Calgary.  The rest of the province will follow our lead sooner than you think.  We will see in a couple of years who is correct.

Bull - why are interest groups being sought out right now?

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2009, 03:50:02 PM »
I would also like to help you find areas to "steward" over. My job gives me access to some very sophisticated mapping software.

Sounds good.  If you need ideas, I can get some from the guys who are actually native to this area (now, if you were looking to fish lobster off of Stanhope, PEI.....)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Jeepchick78

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2009, 03:53:15 PM »
I dont think I am in a position to answer all of the questions listed above this post, so dont rip my post apart if I get something wrong 8)

I can say that membership is a choice and its important for clubs to question their involvement in anything.. regardless of usership.  

Before deciding to pay for something you are still questioning, perhaps we could work on a document for clubs to fill out that would provide us with feedback? Is that something  you would be willing to fill out or work on?

At this point it is my understanding we (those working to get TLC active) have access to materials from TL USA, but have yet to decide if its applicable to the whole of Canada before working on ways to get it out ot the public.  

As much as Id love to speak for TLC and our next steps, I dont think I should just yet ;) We are still trying to work with what we've got. The mandate is there and our hearts are in it more then you could ever know, but we have just as many questions as you do - maybe just different ones...?

To become a member at this time gives us the opportunity to grow, grow through funds that enable us to print/order/create reading materials, pay for paper/printers/ink or anything else that we need. More importantly it gives us the opportunity to grow with your feedback and grow through your support.

Corey, if you dont want to be a member, then simply choose not to be. You may not agree with what I say, but why not direct your statements to TLC directly? Why post it on a forum.. I hardly visit this forum and Im not sure how often Bear does. I just question how you would ever get your questions answered if no one's here to look?
 (I came on here looking for a set of tires and stumbled on this.. lol)

When we signed up, we all agreed to meet the expectations stated on the website. What the website says is what we will do for you. I can not promise we will be at 100% operating capacity tomorrow, but i can promise we will do our best to meet the expectations voiced to us.

Although I understand and can appreciate the questions being posed, its hard to swallow the agression and frustration thats sometimes conveyed via internet...

Feel free to pose your questions, but perhaps ask us directly via Email after discussing it with the rest of your club or friends... at least give us the chance to talk about it first...

My Email: [email protected] (a local contact if  you like)

Amanda

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 04:08:12 PM by Jeepchick78 »

• Budget Lift
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
The Bill 36 Open House is tonight, find out more information, schmooze and perhaps make contacts:

The May 14 Calgary session will be held at the Greenwood Inn and Suites, Evergreen D Room (3515-26 Street NE). The open houses run from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m.

More information on the Land Use Framework and Stewardship Act are  at http://www.landuse.alberta.ca/

You guys need to go to this.

I realize it is late in the day BUT get there, and make sure the lady at the door taking names knows who you are, and who you represent, and what your club stands for. If you have to, tell her word for word why your group should be considered a stakeholder.

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2009, 05:39:50 PM »
If you have to, tell her word for word why your group should be considered a stakeholder.

Feel free to put words in our mouths here.  :)
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

• Budget Lift
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2009, 05:45:39 PM »
I dont think I am in a position to answer all of the questions listed above this post, so dont rip my post apart if I get something wrong 8)

I can say that membership is a choice and its important for clubs to question their involvement in anything.. regardless of usership.  

Before deciding to pay for something you are still questioning, perhaps we could work on a document for clubs to fill out that would provide us with feedback? Is that something  you would be willing to fill out or work on?

At this point it is my understanding we (those working to get TLC active) have access to materials from TL USA, but have yet to decide if its applicable to the whole of Canada before working on ways to get it out ot the public.  

As much as Id love to speak for TLC and our next steps, I dont think I should just yet ;) We are still trying to work with what we've got. The mandate is there and our hearts are in it more then you could ever know, but we have just as many questions as you do - maybe just different ones...?

To become a member at this time gives us the opportunity to grow, grow through funds that enable us to print/order/create reading materials, pay for paper/printers/ink or anything else that we need. More importantly it gives us the opportunity to grow with your feedback and grow through your support.

Corey, if you dont want to be a member, then simply choose not to be. You may not agree with what I say, but why not direct your statements to TLC directly? Why post it on a forum.. I hardly visit this forum and Im not sure how often Bear does. I just question how you would ever get your questions answered if no one's here to look?
 (I came on here looking for a set of tires and stumbled on this.. lol)

When we signed up, we all agreed to meet the expectations stated on the website. What the website says is what we will do for you. I can not promise we will be at 100% operating capacity tomorrow, but i can promise we will do our best to meet the expectations voiced to us.

Although I understand and can appreciate the questions being posed, its hard to swallow the agression and frustration thats sometimes conveyed via internet...

Feel free to pose your questions, but perhaps ask us directly via Email after discussing it with the rest of your club or friends... at least give us the chance to talk about it first...

My Email: [email protected] (a local contact if  you like)

Amanda

Go back and read what I have been saying. The SRD is in the process of taking names RIGHT NOW Amanda. What is TLC in Alberta? You and Bear?

If you are passionate about 4 wheeling in Alberta, pimping an American lobby group may not be the right choice for May 14, 2009. Especially when the SRD as an organization isn't affiliated with or recognizes the Tread Lightly group. There are reasons for that which I would be willing to go over with you via email.

-------------------

I'm not being aggressive. The fact remains that you will be marginalized if you choose to not become involved with a process that the government has already begun. Believe it.

Initially I went to SRD with the names of 60+ adults that my 4x4 club speaks for. I also had lists of the various industry contacts my club has. We attended every open house they had in our area. We put our names in to be stakeholders in the Land Use Framework. We met with them and went over maps for months. Over 400 emails poured in from our email campaign last month, from every corner of the province. The SRD knows who we are, what we want, and are including us in this process.

Like I am saying - I don't necessarily have a problem with your program - but the time for action is now, and if you have problems vocalizing your intent as an organization and cannot show a large membership base, any history of responsible backcountry use or promotion, or even a support base TODAY, how can you expect the government to take you seriously?

------------------

Lastly, why should I care what you do - or do not do? The reason is I'm selfish - and the more 4x4 representatives that are on the 7 Regional Land Use Framework boards - the better my chances are of wheeling in the manner I want to 20-30-40 years from now.

I'm glad this is being spoken on a public forum.