Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep starts then dies instantly  (Read 13445 times)

sebasshole

Re: Jeep starts then dies instantly
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »
So 45 min of stress and i replaced the CPS sensor, across the street on the side of the road...
still no start.
BUT! i did replace the distributor and i read online, that the distributor needs to be put in
a specific way so they timing is correct.

Now i tryed and i cant figure it out. I am wondering if anyone lives in the far south and could
help me do it for a case of beer or something. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I guess this is the last  possible problem that it could be.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 12:30:08 AM »
ok
you need to clarify what exactly you did to your jeep before it started to act up.
if nothing then it couldnt be that your distributor is wrong.
fyi: you cant clean a tps. when it goes, thats it - replace it.
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline trackerthrasher

• UberWheeler
  • 74' CJ 5
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »
I like the one about slamming the rear hatch....I wonder what the tecnical explination for this would be? I think this is a great thread and I want to put my tecnical expertise forward. " try jacking up the licence plate and driving a different truck under" I have tried this and have had  great success. (Try slamming the rear hatch first and let me know how that goes.) Cheers!! :P
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
i think its called an inertia switch ...... most times filled with mercury on older stuff ....kills the engine in a roll over !!!! but thanks for your idiot responce to someone trying to help !!!!
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »
I believe inertia switches are more commonly found on Ford vehicles...have never heard of one on a Jeep.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 10:41:19 PM »
but thanks for your idiot responce to someone trying to help !!!!

He was making a smartass comment... I appreciate the humour in his response, and possibly sebasshole did as well.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

sebasshole

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 11:38:31 PM »
Yea no kidding good f***ing joke, i got a good one myself.
Next time your stuck in mud or something breaks, take the keys to your jeep and toss them as far as you can.
then leave the pos and walk home.

But thanks for the comment on slamming the hatch, theres alot of info on the web saying that the alarm on some models
can be jammed and giveing all the doors and hatch a good slam can fix it, or else locking and unlocking the driver door.
so its obvious you know more then numbnuts above.

Im gona try replacing the tps sensor tommorow since i have been informed that cleaning it doesnt make a difference.

As for the distributor, i put the motor to TDC, clocked the slot in the block to 11, set the rotor to 4, when i put it in, the rotor moved
to the 6 oclock position every time, then i connected the plugs and still no start. hopefully the tps works.

if not anoyone wanna buy a parts xj? everything works i just cant figure out why it wont run maybe someone on here can.

600 obo?

sebasshole

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 11:40:56 PM »
ok
you need to clarify what exactly you did to your jeep before it started to act up.
if nothing then it couldnt be that your distributor is wrong.
fyi: you cant clean a tps. when it goes, thats it - replace it.

sorry missed that.

I was driving it just outside of calgary and i got stuck in some deep mud and snow up to the front headlights.
The truck instantly stalled and would not start and stay running.  so i got it towed out and into town.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:07 AM »
Sheeeeesh.... throw a little humour into it, and the whole world comes crashing down.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline trackerthrasher

• UberWheeler
  • 74' CJ 5
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 10:42:38 AM »
I meant nothing personal by my comment about "the rear hatch" I laughed to myself because I have found myself slamming the rear hatch/doors/hood and swearing a blue streak at my POS on occaison. I just saw the humur and pure satisfaction one can get from something like that, but never saw the technical prowess of the action. From now on I am commited to starting all repairs with this endeavor. CHEERS MATE! :D
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.

sebasshole

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 02:59:28 PM »
so i replaced the TPS sensor. still no start.
but i noticed that you cant hear the fuel pump prime before startup.
anyone know how much a new one costs. and do i have to drop the tank
to replace it?

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:08:04 PM »
Yes you will have to drop the tank...... I find it hard to imagine that the pump quit do to being in water/mud as it is sealed internally in the tank itself, more likely is that you tore a wire off from the sending unit while having it pulled out of the mud. I have been on the trail with some one who had this happen (I may have some responsibility as I encouraged her to see hoe deep the particular hole was) while pulling the vehicle out (backwards.... a forward extraction was not an option) a branch manged to hang up underneath and rip out all four wires....... does your fuel gauge show an accurate reading? any ways it is a simple fixand a good opportunity to better locate the wires out of harms way.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

sebasshole

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 03:18:11 PM »
well i figure it was old and it decided to quit when i was being rough on it.
aparently i dont have to drop the tank
http://www.allpar.com/SUVs/jeep/fuel-pump.html

im gona get under there and check all the wires and maybe replace the pump. if someone tryed to
prime the truck while i was under i should hear it rite?

this jeep is getting me alittle ticked off. its my first domestic ever and so far not so good.
honda FTW

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 03:28:46 PM »
There should be a port somewhere on the fuel rail that has a valve in it that look a bit like a tire valve. If you push on the stem and a good spray comes out then the pump is probably ok.

Did you check the ballast resistor like I described?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
as much as i dont like getting abuse ............if you bang on the bottom of your fuel tank well someone turns it over it will normally fire if its the fuel pump (this only works a couple times ) ...........its worth a try !! ;)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......