Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Jeep starts then dies instantly  (Read 13444 times)

sebasshole

Re: Jeep starts then dies instantly
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 11:45:33 PM »
Im gona try that tommorow morning before i pull it out.
I picked up a new fuelpump from good ol doublej
and i noticed the fuel filter was wet in gas and was dripping. :0
so i bought a new fuel filter and replaced it, still no start.
but im confident in the fuel pump not working.

i checked the fuel rail and i cant find what your are describing.
i foound a little round silver thing that looks like a valve cap but i cant get it open.
Either way it has spark and sounds like no fuel.

im gona give it a shot tommorow and let you guys know.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 11:50:28 PM »
Before you go and replace the pump,.. check the books to see if there is a fuel pump relay or a fuse (do the easy things first)

I know gm's have a relay and that goes on occasion as well as a fuse.

Then perhalps try and find what wires are leading to your pump and jump them to see if you get action.

on an old dakota I replaced a pump when I didn't need to *grumbles*
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

sebasshole

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:45 AM »
yea i searched and checked every fuse and relay.
the ones under the dash drivers side. passenger side relays engine bay
and the 2 or 3 on the drivers side engine. they all are fine.

wires im gona try to jump them before i ppull out the pump

thanks for the headsup!

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:54 AM »
Did you check the ballast resistor?

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

sebasshole

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:31 AM »
where and what is the ballist resistor

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
Ballast resistor for fuel pump.

Its located on the fender wall near the airbox. Looks like a white porcelain box with two wires on it. Make sure one didn't come off.  Try connecting the wires directly together.

Its purpose is to reduce the voltage going to the fuel pump to make it run quieter. Early model XJs had consumer complaints  about noisy fuel pumps. This was done as a cheap fix to quiet things down. When the key is in the start position the ballast resistor is bypassed and pump recievies full 12V. In the on position the power for the pump goes thru the resistor kicking down the voltage and making it quieter.

After the wire jiggled off for the third time on my '89 XJ from bouncing on the trails I just connected the wires together and bypassed the resistor. No more problems.....
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 10:20:54 AM »

Its located on the fender wall near the airbox. Looks like a white porcelain box with two wires on it
. Make sure one didn't come off.  Try connecting the wires directly together.

Its purpose is to reduce the voltage going to the fuel pump to make it run quieter. Early model XJs had consumer complaints  about noisy fuel pumps. This was done as a cheap fix to quiet things down. When the key is in the start position the ballast resistor is bypassed and pump recievies full 12V. In the on position the power for the pump goes thru the resistor kicking down the voltage and making it quieter.

After the wire jiggled off for the third time on my '89 XJ from bouncing on the trails I just connected the wires together and bypassed the resistor. No more problems.....
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »

Its located on the fender wall near the airbox. Looks like a white porcelain box with two wires on it. Make sure one didn't come off.  Try connecting the wires directly together.

Rply #10 on the first page.

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
Man is everybody sitting on thier quote/reply button at the same time or what? No wonder people in offices get fired for doing squat all day. ;D

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
It ok I'm filling in for mt boss this week.....  ;)

sebasshole

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2009, 11:58:12 AM »
checked the ressisotor it was loose so i jumped the resistor i dont care for it,
its to make the fuel pump run quiter, when i cant hear it anyways.
knocked on the tank, no start. changed the fuel pump. still no prime and no start.
pushed the nipple on the fuel rail i got a squirt of fuel then nothing.
checked the fuel pump relay replaced it with new one, clicks when i turn the ignition.
pump does not prime still. LIKE WTF! im getting very very angry.

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2009, 01:44:08 PM »
test too see if you have power at the fuel pump..... if there is now power there follow the wireing back and look for any breaks/shorts and test at the next junction point or connector, keep following it back until you find power. you can also test at all the fuse, resistor or at the ballist resistor using a trouble light.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2009, 05:04:57 PM »
checked the ressisotor it was loose so i jumped the resistor i dont care for it,
its to make the fuel pump run quiter, when i cant hear it anyways.
knocked on the tank, no start. changed the fuel pump. still no prime and no start.
pushed the nipple on the fuel rail i got a squirt of fuel then nothing.
checked the fuel pump relay replaced it with new one, clicks when i turn the ignition.
pump does not prime still. LIKE WTF! im getting very very angry.

When you say you "jumped" the resistor did you just take the wires off and connect them together?

Its normal for the pump NOT to pump with the engine not running. When you turn the key on the pump should run for a few seconds to build up pressure then stop. When cranking, the pump will startup again and will run continously while the engine is running.

sebasshole

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2009, 10:06:35 PM »
When you say you "jumped" the resistor did you just take the wires off and connect them together?

Its normal for the pump NOT to pump with the engine not running. When you turn the key on the pump should run for a few seconds to build up pressure then stop. When cranking, the pump will startup again and will run continously while the engine is running.

yea i connected the two wires.

It doesnt prime at all, i cant hear anything, i can hear the relay click but thats about it.

Then i check the valve on the fuel rail and i get a tiny squirt not strong or anything just a burp of fuel.

could i have put the distibutor in wrong and it will not prime and start. it turns over, and i checked for spark and its sparking.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2009, 10:14:28 PM »
Fuel pump