Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Coil Alternatives  (Read 572 times)

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
Coil Alternatives
« on: April 24, 2009, 06:05:58 PM »
Over the winter I upgraded from a short arm to a long arm lift on my TJ. Also went from about 4" to 7.5" of lift.  The lift is a mix of pieces I have had or picked up over the last year. Rockkrawler arms, Rubicon Express coils, BDS and Skyjacker shocks, combination RE/RK trackbar setup, Currie steering, etc.

97 TJ with 4.0 and an 8274 hanging off front bumper.

So the combination should give me lots of flex - it does when crossed up and body level, however, when any body roll is introduced the front coils are too stiff to compress and the front axle operates just like the sway bar was connected.

I have a fair bit of tail weight when loaded with tools, supplies, gas, aux gas can, etc - this definitely does not help the stiff front coils when I am pointed nose high.

So I am left with some alternatives
1. Live with it
2. Find softer more flexy coils
3. Soften existing coils (How?)
4. Fill front bumper with lead to increase weight on front coils
5. Install shorter softer coils with spacers
6. Get rid of coils and buy coilovers or air shocks

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Any experience with coilovers or air shocks - I don't need race ready gear and don't really want to spend $500+ per corner. I have seen some Fox air shocks that suggest they can replace both the spring and coil without utilizing a coilover - price appears to be much lower than a coil over - anyone ever try these.
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
Re: Coil Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:14:44 AM »
Thought a picture might help describe what is happening. This was taken on recent trip to Moab. Rear suspension is totally stuffed on passenger side and totally drooped on drivers side while the front axle has not compressed or drooped. Although both sets of coils are same manufacturer the rears appear considerably softer than the front.

My old springs would have shared the flex between the front and rear.

When I run up a ramp from level asphalt the same thing happens.

Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon