Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bad prank? or Coincidence?  (Read 1832 times)

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
  • Wanna buy a trail? or Garage w/attached house?
Bad prank? or Coincidence?
« on: May 13, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
Took the jeep to the inlaw - helping develop their basement, antways, drove fine

6 hrs later I finish for the day and head home, I start hearing a repeated clunk, clunk, clunk all the way home. Not so noticeable when braking.

I though "damnit, the heep is broken now too!"

just took a look earlier and found the rear passenger tire lugs were all loose.

I checked all the other tires and they were all tight, the 1 tire: all the lugs were backed off by about 2 threads.

Having a grumbly day today :(

But glad i found the problem.
The realtor that gets dirty
Dirty Old YJ , 4" spring lift and 33's  - Sold - *snif*
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
Re: Bad prank? or Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
Have you had anything done to your tires recently?  Steel or aluminum rims?  I've had my stock aluminum tires back off twice sometime after changing the tires at the shop.  Hasn't happened since I do it myself and torque them too 100 ft/lbs.  Then again I don't run my aluminum rims that often.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline fug

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Airdrie Pick n Pull
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Not saying it wasn't someone screwing with you... but all it takes is  1 lug to work loose then it starts letting the others start working their way loose.  I learned that the hard way when a rear wheel on my old Ford decided to come off at 100km on highway 22 with a fully loaded 8 foot camper in the bed.  All I can say is thank god there were clean shorts in the camper and the tie downs on the camper were new and in good shape.
Fug
TJ Rubicon

FullMetalJeep

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
making sure your wheels are torqued to spec is important. especially on aluminum rims.

I had the same thing happen to me and one of my lug studs snapped right off. Hadnt torqued them down, but drove for thousands of km's and all of a sudden... so, they can work there way loose. Torque them to spec after the wheel has been off. Retorque them after 100km. make sure that you hear the click after you have turned it, if you try and turn it and it clicks instantly, that means it's too tight so back it off and re torque it.

I know most people know that, some don't, and some dont care cause they havnt had a problem.

But when I was workin at a shop a while ago, we got a guy come in for a rotate, and all his nuts where loose. we're talking finger tight, and one or two where missing. we thought he had taken his wheels off at home and put them back on himself. Not the case. He'd taken them to another local shop and it turns out they just used there impact gun to zip the wheels back on. That is a mistake that can cost a person personal damage or injury and it's not even excusable. Totally preventable if your not a lazy guy.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »
Hmm

Maybe just a freak incident

My rims are steel and are always torqued to 100 ft/lbs

Guess I'll just chaulk it up as freaky
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
happened to me twice on the same rim.
Got home from a CJA event in the city with all 5 lugs gone from a 37x14.50 tire/rim. i was lucky.
Other time, buddy was driving my jeep while i drove the motor home from a 4x4 event with CJA and not so lucky, the tire came off but was held on by the disc brake. He pulled over eventually. The cost was 1 new rim and 5 studs.
PS, i always check the lugs.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline barmanjay

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:49:52 PM »
Crazy,.. that's the first time all 5 lugs ever came loose on me before

Definitely going to keep an eye on the tires now
300C SRT8 - Workmobile

Jason Kim
Realtor
Maxwell City Central
889-4747

www.jaykim.ca