Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Take a moment....  (Read 1380 times)

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
Take a moment....
« on: June 06, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
...to remember your jeep's heritage and the brave people involved in D-Day 65 years ago.  There's not many of these treasured folks left. Sometimes it's easy to forget where these rigs came from.

Rare color photo of general view of a port in England during build up for D-Day, 6 June 1944. In foreground, jeeps are being loaded onto LCTs. In background, larger trucks and DUKWs are being loaded onto LSTs.

`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Take a moment....
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 08:05:18 AM »

There are fewer and fewer of our WWII veterans left and our forces played an important part in the D-day invasion. Remember your family that served. Who were they and what did they do? If you don’t know, ask while there is still someone around who remembers their contribution and sacrifice. If you know then you will be able to pass it on.

I will be spending part of the day with one of our veterans. My Dad, Clark Code was a very young Canadian sailor who served on HMCS New Waterford and was in the English Channel the second day of the invasion sweeping for mines.

I have three half brothers who are very proud if their uncles contribution. General Charles Foulkes, who served both in the Italian campaign and later took the surrender of the German forces in Holland on behalf of the Allied Nations. 
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Take a moment....
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:07 PM »
Going to a funeral on thursday of a good friend and a veteran. He was in communications and in intelligience.