4x4 Related Groups > Tech Talk

On board welder

(1/1)

HIWYH8R:
I have a modified GM 100 amp alternator that I use for a welder on my yj. I made it last year but had not tried it out yet. Well I got the chance to test it this weekend at Wiapourus (sp?) and it worked awsome  :)My buddys fan clutch screwed up and the fan wouldnt turn. So we welded a bolt from the fan bolt and the shaft of the fan. Held up all weekend and everybody there watching were really impressed. I hear they had bets on it not working using one guy to hold a wire from the field to the battery, another to hold the engine at 1500 rpm's, and me holding a welding rod in a set of jumper cables :)

I have a couple of question though. On the internet I used a page that said to remove diode trio and the insulation off one of screws holding the voltage regulator. Is this now an AC or DC welder, and what polarity would I use? Welding rod on the positive or negative?

Another thing is when I was welding there was a strange loud whistling noise coming from the end of the welding rod doing the welding. It was strange. Anyone know why this noise?

Thanks
Kel

cLAY:
Andy Hockins from the FWS built a stroker for his old XJ. If I remember correctly the only real problem he ran into was the engine would missfire sometimes. Turned out the stock injectors were too small and the engine would lean out. So he upgraded to the mustang 5.0 injectors and it cleared it up. He was running 35s with 4.56 gearing, 5spd tranny and often hauled a large Coleman tent trailer behind it.

HIWYH8R:
Umm, what does this have to do with my message? :)

Kel

apex:
cLAY ... wrong thread. Try the Stroker thread, not the onboard welding.

Kel, that is a sweet tool to have onboard. Betcha it pays for itself in a single season. Sorry I don't know the A to your Q , haven't a clue

wreckles:
i have an underhood welder in my tow truck its based of a big ford alt
but its the same idea
and it howls like a banshee
so its normal.
ac if its like mine
i run of the pos side
you could get a set of welder cables and electod holder for a more
profetional install but otherwise good work!
its good to see home brewed tech on the trail cuz it works
experiment with different rod till you find one that lays down the nicest beed
keep in mind diff metals need diff rod
you can alluminum rod for stick welding now too

have fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version