Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Any tips or pointers for a first time lifter?  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
Any tips or pointers for a first time lifter?
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
I've been on a few trail runs with the CJA, most recently the Wiaprous June 27th and Fathers day runs. I have been going with my stock  2004 Rocky Mountain TJ (with the original 30x9.5 GSA Wrangler tires ;) 
Yes it completed the trails, but it almost drowned in Wiaprous (needed new air filter after that one) and I just want more off-road prowess so I can not only do more challenging obstacles but also breathe easier and just enjoy the trails more.

I have decided to upgrade and get myself a basic 3 inch lift and run 32 MT's for starters.( this is a daily driver) Trying to avoid SYE kit for now. Where is the best place to get a suspension lift from?
I've talked with modern motors and national 4wd are there any other good stores or websites out there?
Any recomended brands etc etc.

I am going to put the lift in myself with  no suspension experience, but I will have proper tools.... again any general advice....nice
Was thinking Black Diamond 3” lift, Or BDS 3” Lift
All advice and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Any tips or pointers for a first time lifter?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »
Stay away from National, a lot of people have had bad experiences with them. Unless you're building a rig rocket and have 5 figures in cash to drop in store.  the best bets are North Shore Offroad and Northridge 4x4.  Both have customer service that is second to none and they carry top of the line products.  Rubicon Express is one of the best kits on the market right now without going to an LA setup.  BDS is up there as well, the one i would stay away from is Skyjacker.  my Skyjacker parts liked to fall apart and they rode pretty rough.  \Save up and do a full suspension lift, not a BB, the ride will be so much better and easier to upgrade.  Both NSOR and Northridge will actually take the time to talk to you about what you are buying and will have an amazing shipping time and almost always free shipping.

Both these places will also do tires and usually have them to you within an few days at close to US prices.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:45:02 PM »
modern will treat you right as well.  i've been dealing with them for years. 
 rubicon express is good stuff.
if you like BDS, look at the zoneoffroad.ca stuff, its a BDS knockoff.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 11:25:11 AM »
Hmm funny, I've always got lousy treatment at Modern and good at National.  I'd say check both and make your decision. Factor time into it if they have to order it in. Also research what kit they want to sell you, some are better than others and the extra $50-$100 may be worth it.

NSOR also has competitive pricing and shipping from them is really cheap. They can usually beat Moderns and Nationals prices with shipping. They are BC based so no customs to worry about.
www.nsor.com

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »
I wouldnt recommend running any control arms other then Curries, or a company that uses curries joints.

None of the local shops deal much currie stuff. Northridge does a lot of it. Northridge has a shipping outlet in panoka and has free shipping on purchases over 100$.

My personal recommendation is an OME LJ/ZJ spring and shock combo. JKS front trackbar, rear cv traackbar bracket of your choosing, and full set of currie control arms.

If can be done in peices, or all at once.

The most important (and expensive) componant of any linked suspesnion system is the joints. Currie are the only ones producing a joint right now that is low maintenance, and work well both on and offroad.

I wouldnt put RE suspension on my worst enemies jeep, and the fact that shops still pimp it as quality stuff to people that dont know any better is just wrong.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
I agree, there are as many opinions as there are options. And after weighing my options I decided that Iwould invest a wopping $90 and go with 2" spacers. This should allow me to run up to 33's (currently I am enjoying my 31's I bought at the end of last summer) There are several kits out there for 3" and many are very reasonably priced. I just felt I would rather invest money in really good tires, a winch, CB, and a few other really basic upgrades that I will enjoy more than a complete lift kit.

Sounds like I will also be upgrading my gears this year as well, possably bigger axles to go with it. ;)
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Jrama

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:31:23 PM »
Alright, I called the offroad shop in lethbridge and ended up getting the 3 inch bds lift with free delivery to Calgary. I was very close to getting the zone offroad lift, but after much research and discussion I went with the bds. I decided i wanted a sure shot quality lift and it was worth the extra money for the no questions asked lifetime warrenty along with the peice of mind quality. They had a much better deal then modern motors on the lift and honestly all the stores had excellent customer service even national 4wd.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:40:02 PM »
Bill, so what you are saying is put together your own kit, there isn't one that is "all in a box"?   I'm also looking at lifts and it seems to be like electric versus hydraulic winches... experience and opinions on both sides, but I know that you have some solid background to go on!

I think Currie will package a full suspension kit Pat, although Im not to sure. I dont think they do less then a 4 inch, and that is why I usually lean to something like the HD OME.

Fact of the matter is, all companies skimp in one place or another to keep cost down, or in line with competitors.

What people who are new to the hobbie usually dont understand is, how big the importance of the joints in the suspension really is. That is the single largest factor in any suspension.

Put it this way. Johnny joints are roughly 50$ a peice. Thats a potential for nearly 800$ worth of joints on a lift kit. Springs are 180 a pair, brake lines are 100$, and the tubing used, even in a long arm is under 200$, and shocks are 50$ a corner unless you go highend.

So you can see, high quality joints are the single largest expense in any suspension. They are also one the most key components of the suspension regarding handling, strength, and most importantly, maintenance.

So where do companies look first to make better margins and have the ability to offer their suspension at lower prices then the next guy? In the joints of course.

Whether its to put a cheap poly bushing in one end, both ends, or use a low quality delrin filled cartridge joint, or a combonation of all the above, at the end of the day, you are just getting what you pay for.

The internet is filled with "do you have issues with your RE bushings" threads. They have been for years. You dont see these posts johnny joints. They are simply a better engineered designed. Currie has a nice video and commentary that explainds the johhny joint and why it is different then most other joints on the market.

I know that right now, there are 4 big name suspension manufacturers using johnny joints in their suspensions. They are the only company that has their product used by that many different manufactures. That in itself should speack volumes.

Springs, shocks, brakelines, and some bracketry can be had just about anywhere. All the companies are just re badging those products from the same manufacturers anyways.

The problem is Joe public is never made aware of this type of stuff. Shops are to busy trying to put you in the lift kit they make the most money on.

With the exception of using some evolutions joints in strictly offroad applications, you will be hard pressed to find anything but a johnny joint under any of my rigs, or any of the rigs I've had a hand in building.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
Alright, I called the offroad shop in lethbridge and ended up getting the 3 inch bds lift with free delivery to Calgary. I was very close to getting the zone offroad lift, but after much research and discussion I went with the bds. I decided i wanted a sure shot quality lift and it was worth the extra money for the no questions asked lifetime warrenty along with the peice of mind quality. They had a much better deal then modern motors on the lift and honestly all the stores had excellent customer service even national 4wd.

Looks like a reasonable choice. You are much better off with a quality starter kit that comes with no arms, then paying a little extra and getting one of those kits that comes with junk arms.

I'd recommend a front trackbar with that lift. 3" will start to make a noticeable difference in your axle placement with a stock track bar.

Also, ask them if they can give you a CV specific rear trackbar bracket. Either will work for now, but if you ever need to adjust the pinion angle, the regular bracket will need to be changed out for a CV style.

Good luck
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline Evil-Jeep

• UberWheeler
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:11:47 AM »
Great lift for cheap here - http://office-humour.co.uk/item/12455/
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
my brother just throw on 3.75 lift for 600 bucks .. he loves it and its works well
no drive shaft or SYE needed .. still running stock

stay away from both 4x4 shops in calgary order on line or call the manufacture direct   

do some suspention and a little body lift with a motor mount lift and that will keep your angles nice and good
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline BlackYJ

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www3.telus.net/ccjc/page0002.html
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 09:05:45 PM »
stay away from both 4x4 shops in calgary order on line or call the manufacture direct   

I disagree with that statement.  Both shops are good and have treat myself and many other very good.  However definitely do your research before hand
'95 YJ with a few mods

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 11:30:18 PM »
I disagree with that statement.  Both shops are good and have treat myself and many other very good.  However definitely do your research before hand

if i walk in to the store its for when they have sales and it will be for stuff that isnt jeep related like lights .. and a jack .. after hearing about a member getting ripped off from them i wont buy unless its on sale and i wont order either .

story in short form .. 2 guys walk into (no name 4x4 shop) both guys pick up high lifter jacks on sale .. one pays 60$ even the other 85$ .. buddy paying more asks why is this jack more

answer from (no name 4x4 shop) that one was ordered befor the economy dropped and is worth more ..

end of story .

04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 06:52:59 AM »
I'm new around here and don't want to ruffle any feathers... but I kinda agree with the "don't bother with Calgary 4x4 shops" statement. This is based on pricing out lift, bumpers, winch, wheels & tires for my TJ. Will @ North Shore Offroad kicked their collective butts on price, availability and time spent prior to actually ordering.

The shop rates in Calgary are also CRAZY... I had 5 tires mounted, balanced and installed and just about fell over when I got the bill.

I know... Canada is a small market, gotta make some money, this isn't the US, cost of running a shop is expensive... blah, blah, blah. I would LOVE to support local shops... but when I can jump on-line and get stuff delivered to my garage floor faster and substantially cheaper... that's what I'm gonna do.   

In all fairness... I don't think its just 4x4 shops... yesterday I went shopping for a small RV (+/-10') to pull behind my TJ and actually found a $20K unit on the market... in this economy!  As I drive away shaking my head... I saw a brand new Nissan Cube (small utility van) sitting on the dealership lawn for $16K. I also saw an add for a 2009 extended cab Ford Ranger w/ V6, mag wheels and air for $16K. I cant wait for the sob story ad in the paper... local RV shop goes out of business... selling RV's for $2000/foot!!!???   
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps