Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Whos got tube & bender?  (Read 3806 times)

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
Whos got tube & bender?
« on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:46 PM »
I recently installed my winch and was hoping to possibly fab up some sort of grill guard for it. I am hoping to do something similar to this warn bar. Unfortunately the only thing I don't have access to for fabing this up is tube steel and a bender. I was just wondering if anyone that has access to this would be able to tell me how much it would cost me to get you to get some 2" O/D tubing and make the two bends once I figure out dimensions. I would take over from there and do the rest.

Thanks in advance!

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: Whos got tube & bender?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
I've got a crappy bender, but it you fill the tube with sand before bending it seems to do a decent job. Might do it for 6. You might have to find some tube though, I'm not sure if I have any around.
http://forum.calgaryjeep.com/index.php?topic=11610.0 I used it on the grill guard in the link
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

LilRed36

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »
Get ahold of Brink he is on this web site, I think there are people here that would highly recommend him.  His work is impecable.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »
XJHERO has a bender, PM him

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:28:18 AM »
If you are in red deer or close by, call brink. If you are in calgary call Nathan (xjhero). Which ever one works for your location. Both use the same benders and both do top quality work.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline sn4cktime

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:41:37 AM »
Nathan's bends look good, seen some of his stuff.  We're planning on building a stinger for my bumper when we've got some time.
----1988 AMC Eagle, mostly a flat XJ at this point----

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 02:07:14 AM »
Cool, Thanks guys. I'll give xjhero a buzz when I figured out exactly how I am gonna accomplish this task!

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 06:52:48 AM »
OR      that grille bar is  not much more than $125 retail .

Remove from box , bolt on , done .

If you'd prefer ,    you could  go through the process of finding tubing , buying it , transporting tubing to where it can be bent by person who owns bender , have them go ahead and bend material , pay them for their services , return to where you are going to fabricate the remainder of the parts , design , cut , grind , drill , fit ,  weld ( hope it fits well and looks good ) , then paint it  or transport youre project to the powder coater , go back when it's done , pay for it , take it home , bolt it on.        Having spent a buch of time and $$$$ to get to this point.

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 12:33:02 PM »
Well, that bar is designed more or less for that bumper and winch plate, neither of which I have. Second I am merely trying to get an idea of the cost for the bar and bending to see if I can do it for a reasonably priced upgrade, hopefully a lot less than the 125 since my only cost is the bar, bending, and a bit of my time. Lastly, pulling it out of a box is no where near as fun as  building something yourself!

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 03:08:25 PM »
Both of my YJ's have that grill  bar on them , one has a warn bumper , the other one has a custom bumper.

What I was trying to say is , sometimes it's cheaper to just buy the item than make it .

I make lots of stuff  , parts , tools    etc .  , have been for years 

A couple of years ago ,  I built a real nice set of rock rails  that end up costing way more than I could have bought a set for , not that I regret it , these babies are bomb proof .

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:07:01 PM »
Yeah, I am watching what I am spending pretty closely on this one. For something this small I wont go through with it if i figured its gonna have the same cost buying, cause I dont want to spend anywhere near that kind of money on it...

I also forgot that I posted the picture of the bigger bar, when I said it was meant for the bumper/winch plate I was referring to a smaller bar that mounts to the warn winch plate. The one in the picture I posted looks like mounts where my tow hooks are, which I still need since I am running a stock bumper.

I got a spare 2" o/d fence post that I am hoping to mock up and figure out if and where I can mount a guard...I think I may need to just weld to my winch plate on the goofy raised part. Speaking of which, seeing as you have that bar, what is the diameter of the bar? Pictures make it look a bit smaller that 2".

Offline Gearhead

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 05:21:47 PM »
Yeah, I am watching what I am spending pretty closely on this one. For something this small I wont go through with it if i figured its gonna have the same cost buying, cause I dont want to spend anywhere near that kind of money on it...

I also forgot that I posted the picture of the bigger bar, when I said it was meant for the bumper/winch plate I was referring to a smaller bar that mounts to the warn winch plate. The one in the picture I posted looks like mounts where my tow hooks are, which I still need since I am running a stock bumper.

I got a spare 2" o/d fence post that I am hoping to mock up and figure out if and where I can mount a guard...I think I may need to just weld to my winch plate on the goofy raised part. Speaking of which, seeing as you have that bar, what is the diameter of the bar? Pictures make it look a bit smaller that 2".

The tube they use is 2"

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 06:39:30 PM »
I take a whole new approach the the make-it-myself vs buy it decisions.

If I can build it myself in less time than it takes me to earn the cost of buying it I make it.

Ie:  It takes me 3 days to make an item that I can buy for $300.00, I will but it. If it takes me a half day to make it, I'll make it.

I just try and use my fab time a little more efficiently now.

And I couldn't care less about the buy it or make it argument so don't even start that topic.

Vince

p.s. If I wanted a simple bar like the one pictured, I agree with Gearhead would just buy it for $125.00
If I wanted the complete bumper, I guarantee I can earn the money a whole lot quicker than the time it would take me to build it.
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline fony3

• UberWheeler
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »
Thanks for the bar measurement!  I just happen to have a lot of free time this summer and my friend and I are always looking to do little projects and stuff, regardless of cost. So this seemed like something, once we get the bar bent, we could bust out on a sat afternoon while drinking a couple brewskys!