Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: WJ info?  (Read 3018 times)

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
WJ info?
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
For anyone running a WJ. The wife thinks she needs a 4WD to commute to the city. My thoughts were to find her a WJ. Anyone currently running one or has previously run one have any major issues or annoyances with theirs? Thanks
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: WJ info?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
Not too into the K's, and will admit that I have a rather red neck, so I'm thinking a WJ with a 4.7L. I like V8s
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:30:20 PM »
Love our 99 LTD.... AWD, 4.7L, easy wipe seats.... ect. It is my wife's... kinda want her in an AWD (on BFG T/A KOs) for winters, and she doesn't complain about the heated seats. Man! That thing hooks up when you step on the gas... You might like it!
Only issues that we have had is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit went on it... and at the same time the Crank Position Sensor decided to poop the bed, too. And the calipers... oh those calipers. There was a recall on them, but we missed it by about 100,000kms.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline keener

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
I've got an 04 Overland. If you want a V8, try to find the HO, it has an extra 30 hp if you run premium. So far, no issues with mine. It's comfy, smooth and has lots of power.
BTW we have an 02 KJ Ltd with heated leather seats (rare) that is up for sale. PM me if you are interested. KJ's will be at least $3k less than an equivalent WJ.
'04 Unlimited with a few mods. SOLD
98 XJ with a few mods. SOLD
02 Sahara with lots of Mods.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »
the H.O. is the V8 option in 02 and up WJs. not available in 99 - 01.  its the regular 235hp 4..7.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

knight

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
I recently bought a WJ after some research and love it. Bought it for less than $5k and put another $1k into it.  The only major  issuse to watch for are the Limited with dual zone climate control are nown to have issues with the blend doors sticking shut so you get no heat. The front brakes are prone to warping no matter what calipers you have, best solution are premium 1 piece rotors rather than the two piece oem rotors. As well I found when looking at them that alot of them have rust at the rear rocker panel below the rear doors. And the axle bearings are prone to letting go on the dana 45 A that come on the V8's so look for that.

The other thing I noticed with WJ's was the all wheel drive system. They come with three different ones. Quadratrac and Quadratrac 2 as well as Quadradrive. Quadratrac is great if you plan to wheel it alot cause it is the 242 transfercase and has open diffs generally. (allows 2wheel drive) Quadratrac 2 is all wheel drive with no 2 wheel option and often has a LSD in the rear. Quadradrive is the most advanced with center diff that will change where the power goes as well as power sensing diffs at both ends. In theory with these diffs it can transfer 100% of the power to the one wheel that grips. The problem is when no wheel has grip it works like open diffs so offroad not as good as a true locker. In the snow and on ice quadradive is amazing for around town.

As for KJ's my wife and I traded her diesel in recently for a Murano. We loved the libby for zipping around town, but they have very limited cargo and rear seat room. We also just had twins and where unable to fit to infant seats in the back of it.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
issues with the blend doors sticking shut so you get no heat

They break and fall down (cold air position).  Just finished fixing mine, passenger side had let go.  The recirc door is also known to be weak.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.