Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Winter Wheeling tires  (Read 11083 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Winter Wheeling tires
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 01:40:57 PM »
I thought you were going to say a PTO winch...

Who needs a PTO? I just take off one of my tires, throw a wheel without any rubber on there, give it a few wraps with a rope, and away we go in 4lo. Works like a charm. :o
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Back on topic. I just drove back to Calgary this morning and was stuck in a blizzard on Highway 22. I had my mud-terrains with the centre lugs siped. I laughed to myself as I remembered Todd(wsquared) saying something about how siping on muds helps out. The snow was as slick as snot with very poor visibility. I saw several cars pulled over on the side of the road. I pressed on saw no other vehicles travelling through this crap. I  was impressed at how well my mud tires with some added, home-brew siping worked. I made it just fine ,and encountered no slippage at 80km/hr.

I would have two sets of tires if I had the option though. A heavily siped all-terrain for the street, and dedicated mud tires for offroad use.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Who needs a PTO? I just take off one of my tires, throw a wheel without any rubber on there, give it a few wraps with a rope, and away we go in 4lo. Works like a charm. :o

i''ll remember that next time your buried in a mud hole Todd ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 03:56:26 PM »
Back on topic. I just drove back to Calgary this morning and was stuck in a blizzard on Highway 22. I had my mud-terrains with the centre lugs siped. I laughed to myself as I remembered Todd(wsquared) saying something about how siping on muds helps out. The snow was as slick as snot with very poor visibility. I saw several cars pulled over on the side of the road. I pressed on saw no other vehicles travelling through this crap. I  was impressed at how well my mud tires with some added, home-brew siping worked. I made it just fine ,and encountered no slippage at 80km/hr.

I would have two sets of tires if I had the option though. A heavily siped all-terrain for the street, and dedicated mud tires for offroad use.

I'm glad you made it through that stuff okay! I came back up 22 from the Crowsnest yesterday afternoon/evening. It was a littel cruddy crossing the pass, okay at the bottom, and got progressively worse as we headed north on 22. The only thing that made it reasonable was that the snow was still melting off the highway as it stuck to the shoulders.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:17 PM »
Back on topic. I just drove back to Calgary this morning and was stuck in a blizzard on Highway 22. I had my mud-terrains with the centre lugs siped. I laughed to myself as I remembered Todd(wsquared) saying something about how siping on muds helps out. The snow was as slick as snot with very poor visibility. I saw several cars pulled over on the side of the road. I pressed on saw no other vehicles travelling through this crap. I  was impressed at how well my mud tires with some added, home-brew siping worked. I made it just fine ,and encountered no slippage at 80km/hr.

And you thought I was crazy about using the utility knife   ???   Good to hear it worked well for you and you made it home safe.  That chunk of road is kinda dangerous.
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2009, 05:07:10 PM »
Utility knife? Damn. That would have worked better than that butter knife I was using. Damn!

Thanks Dwight. The do it yourself at home siping helps out greatly. Saved some money on that mod. Tire shops wanted $125-$225 to sipe the tires. Butter knife..ahem..I mean utility knife  was under $10. I would still prefer a dedicated all-terrain for winter highways though. This mod works for people who only have mud tires to use.
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
the best of both worlds cheap and affective
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline 2grand4u

• UberWheeler
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2009, 05:17:23 PM »
2011 ford ranger going to get some love soon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 11:16:43 PM »
hmm......... i drove my YJ around last winter with the iroks....... handled better than most MTs, probably cause they're siped....... donno. and they are magical in the snow......... i'd like to see any unchained MT go as far as an irok in the snow..........

anyways i've run, kumho, BFG, Swampers, and Hercule's terra tracs and this winter, Dualler MTs.......... i've never had an issue. then again, whenever the roads wet i run in 4x4............ never had a problem...... personally i don't see the reason to argue what mt is better in the snow/icy roads; they are mud terrains............. pull that lil' lever and drive carefully.......... if ur concerned run a Goodyear silent Armour or something in the winter

ryan if you take a chainsaw to my iroks i'll kill you ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline superles

• UberWheeler
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 09:04:55 PM »
I've had good performance out of both Truxxs and Iroks on trail. Preferred the truxxs in winter and Irok in summer. Did not like the the BFG MT's at all as they seemed to hard. Keep in mind that i used them for trail use mostly.

Balance, how are you folks balancing. When i was running 37" and under tires i had my friend road force balance my tires and had very little weights installed. A straight balance on a balancer does a poor job. Have not done that in years especially on the race cars.

Offline muffintop

• UberWheeler
  • You spilled my macchiato!
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 09:35:05 PM »
I just got back from a day of winter wheelin... and I must say that I am SUPER HAPPY with my 35x12.5X17 Pro Comp Xterrains radials.

Aired up? No real road noise. I would like to comment on how they balance... but I haven't had to balance them. They roll down the highway, w/ zero balancing weights, at any speed with near zero vibration. Jeep guys seem to really like them... but big truck guys dont as they are fairly soft and dont last under a 1 ton.

Aired down? I was aired down to about 7psi and pretty much didn't spin a tire, all day, climbing all sorts of snow & ice covered stuff  :)

Price? Reasonable... even more so when they have their 4 for 3 sale.

Sidewalls? So far so good. I have some pretty nasty gouges in my beadlock rings but no real gouges in the sidewalls.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:42:53 PM by muffintop »
2014 Jeep SRT
2009 Jeep XK, 5.7L, 3" lift & AEV rims
2003 Jeep TJ, 4.5L stroker, 38's, custom long arm, 609 HP diffs, atlas, coil overs, full hydro, etc.
1997 Jeep TJ, 4.0L, 35's, Clayton long arm, locked SAG30, locked SAG35, coil overs, air bumps

Offline Justink

• Budget Lift
  • '89 comanche 5'' lift, 33's
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 10:39:05 PM »
dunno if this helps but i'm runnin 31x10.5x15 general grabber at2's and really like them.  Their quite on road decent offroad and apperentally alot cheaper then the bfg a/t's.  (Same tread design)  Would buy them again
'89 Comanche 5'' 33's, dana 44 playtoy
'91 cherokee 4.5'' 31's DD
'88 Nissan 300zx just for fun
If it seems like a good idea at the time it probably isn't!

Offline stroker sahara

• UberWheeler
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
I ran Cooper Stts on my Comanche. In the snow they worked awesome at 10PSI. I thought they were a great all around tire, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another set, as I have already had two sets on different rigs. I will be running 36" TSL SXs next time tho.
If you want to run with the big dogs you have to be able to pee in the tall grass.

1989 YJ SOA, 36" SX, 4.6 Stroker...

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
I admit I am being lazy and not reading 4 pages of reviews but for a daily driver in the winter I would go with something closer to an allterrain , run one set of tires and buy a set of chains for the snow and ice.  I know this isn't very helpful on what to buy but my 2cents.
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline Ostego

• UberWheeler
  • Full Size Jeep
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:37 AM »
I got 38" TSL Super Swampers on my 'shared' Chevy she'll go anywhere in the snow or mud once aired down.

Last year we were the first truck to break trail to the falls (in 3ft. of snow) only got stuck once...and that was because my genius co-pilot decided he was gonna drop a cigar behind the seat(on accident of course) and then we slid off the trail in to  a snow drift.  ???
'95 ZJ: 3" Budget lift, quick-disconnects, 31x10.5 Savero MT's
'74 J20: 401, Holley Street Avenger 4 barrel, custom  camper.
'75 F100: 351M, 5" Super Lift.