Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Winter Wheeling tires  (Read 11084 times)

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
Re: Winter Wheeling tires
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2009, 11:00:59 AM »

Question. Were you the first vehicle through that spot?

Yes.  But it was a busy trail in Mclean, so I doubt my use affected it.  Running 10 psi.

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
If you arent going to run low enough pressure for significant sidewall flexx, then 10 lbs, 15 lbs, or 40 lbs, it makes no difference.

Most folks that are keen on keeping their pressures up because they are of the mind that less doesnt do anything, simply have not been in a postiion where low pressure made the difference for them.

Regardless of what pressure you run in any iroc, they are prone to sidewall tears. Just one drawback to a lighter weight flexy tire like an iroc. BFG krawlers suffer from the same problem.

I run consistantly at 4 psi for 90% of my wheeling. Max I will run is 8-10 if I am doing high speed race type driving.

If your wheeling application doesnt warrant low pressure, thats fair. Denying the actual performance difference on the other hand is just naive.

my 2 cents

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline JohnB

• Budget Lift
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2009, 11:46:01 AM »
The lower, the better.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2009, 11:52:09 AM »

Regardless of what pressure you run in any iroc, they are prone to sidewall tears. Just one drawback to a lighter weight flexy tire like an iroc. BFG krawlers suffer from the same problem.

Yep seems there is a huge difference between the Irok bias plies and the raidals.  We when took off the bias tire we noticed it was WAY heavier and less pliable than the radial I slashed. I have some pretty good gouges in my old 36" bias tires and never had a leak. I'll definatly be looking for bias next time around.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2009, 12:46:03 PM »
If you arent going to run low enough pressure for significant sidewall flexx, then 10 lbs, 15 lbs, or 40 lbs, it makes no difference.

Most folks that are keen on keeping their pressures up because they are of the mind that less doesnt do anything, simply have not been in a postiion where low pressure made the difference for them.

I run consistantly at 4 psi for 90% of my wheeling. Max I will run is 8-10 if I am doing high speed race type driving.

If your wheeling application doesnt warrant low pressure, thats fair. Denying the actual performance difference on the other hand is just naive.

I think I’ve followed this thread well enough to say nobody denied actual performance with lower air. I have however said it’s all personal preference, and I personally don’t like possibly having trail crud find a weak spot with a soft sidewall. Bumping rock ledges could also damage rims with an extreme lower pressure. No air there to deflect the rubber so it crushes in enough to bend the rim. The bead also has less resistance with air pressure so can be pushed in long enough to either allow crud between the rim and tire or pop the bead completely.

I disagree with your first sentence. Lowering any amount will make a difference to the ride on a rough road. Much softer ride the lower you go.

4lbs….I assume bead locks but I can’t remember looking at your rig last time I saw it.

Have a great winter….I’m out of here.
  :)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:05:38 PM by FiEND »

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2009, 01:37:09 PM »
Yeah, thats just it, with the exception of a slight change in ride, the difference is minimal.

I was denied on double up last year at 10 PSI. To the point I almost rolled backwards after about the 7th full throttle attempt.

I lowered to 3-5 psi and walked up barely spinning a tire.

I do run beadlocks. I will never go back to not running beadlocks on any rig I use regularly as a 4x4. Whether its a part time or fulltime trail machine, beadlocks will always be one of my top priorities.

Sidewalls are at a higher risk of punctures when coupled with higher pressures. With less ability to conform to obstructions on the trail, you are more likely to puncture at higher pressures then lower.

If someone doesnt have beadlocks, I am of the same opinion as you Gun. I dont often advocate people to run below 10 psi without beadlocks unless the run they are on absoutely demands it.

Fixing blown beads on the trail is a pain for sure.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]