Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Off road 101 Feed Back  (Read 8359 times)

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
Off road 101 Feed Back
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:17 PM »

I have hoping to get some feed back from the off road 101 from back at the beginning of the summer. I know I have left it for a long time to ask but I am now thinking about next year.
Some feed back I have already received is
-it was over some peoples heads and it was not challenging enough for others.
-I was way too many jeeps and not enough instructors.
-need to have more then one day so if someone wishes they can come back and practice more.

Form this feed back changes that have been discussed are having 3 days thought out the summer; every other month kind of deal, smaller classes and possibility of a 202.

How can we improve the Off Road 101 more and what do you want to see?

Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Off road 101 Feed Back
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:21:46 PM »
change the location buddy. waiparous. you can run one to the falls, one to the lake.

two groups works. run one in may, one in august................. or something.  but if you already think you have a problem with volunteers might be tough to field enough for two runs/groups.................  then again, if the groups are smaller it could be feasible..........................
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 09:34:43 PM »
Navigation.
Simple stuff on a map. Store, Campsite, gravel pits, some trail entrances with trail names.

If you ever run into an emergency out in the bush and tell someone you need help on the "101 Trail", they will not come  :P
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Asia

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 09:39:49 PM »
I understand that some people offered to volunteer but were turned away because they weren't CJA members, you lost out on some capable help.
near stock advocate

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:40 PM »
Waiporous...only staging area there is the illegal gravel pit, although I hear one group is using that as their "teaching" area.    ::)

As for club members....unless you're planning to spend a lot of time filling out applications and getting to know everyone, how else are you going to figure out who you have to teach?  There has to be some standard, so you're not correcting things after they have been taught.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:46:51 PM by dunl »
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline jenn1981

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
I think Maclean was a good location for the 101. 
It was nice having the few different areas around the gravel pit to try out some easy stuff.  Might be nice to have some more difficult stuff to practice over and over (even though I imagine that would be hard to find out there)
I think that smaller groups for the trail run would have been nice too.  But I did enjoy that trail.
I had been out in MacLean lots before so the terrain was not to shocking for me. 
I think it was a great way for people to find out what their jeep is capable of.  It helps a lot to have someone tell you they can do it in their jeep (then you have to do it )
The winching and tow strap recovery lessons were great.  I can not beleive what some people will come up with to try and tow with, so I think bringing awareness to safety is a huge deal.
More volunteers will help (but thats why you are getting new members)
It might be nice to have a 101 in the early summer and a 201 in the fall??

2008 JK Rubicon

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
Wow that’s a lot of feed back in a hurry.
Tinkerer is right I feel we need to break it up some more and it has evolved enough to have a demand for a 202. And thank you for volunteering to teach and help develop the program.

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 10:45:18 PM »
I think the 2 or 3 day idea is a great one, I'd be up for helping put again for sure.  I honestly cant remember if we did it this time but a "trail etiquette" seminar would be a great thing to do. We can probably find a large space around the city to have to a week or so in advance.  Basic trail repair might be a good thing to teach as well since damage does occur. 

As for the trails and groups, we could split people up based on skill and experience, not just 1234.  A lot of people on the 101 had gotten their feet wet so to speak but others had never touched dirt, breaking these people into separate groups would solve a lot of the issues we had this year.

Offline tubby

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Life's too short for a fulltime job
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
I think you did a great job Aaron. Maybe  a 2-3 day CJA style "Jeep Jamboree" is in order. I would volunteer again for sure.
I also agree with Frenchy on his points. I'm sick of hearing about the "101" trail name being thrown around. We need to say that the "101" consists of trails that have actual names. I've had people ask me all summer where the trail is, because they can't find it on any map.

Maybe a camp out and a "meet and greet"? That way we can get to know the participants better. Offer more technical advice, look over each others rigs and offer answers to people?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 07:25:41 AM by tubby89 »
Lockers
Cuz ya can't kick arse with only one leg

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »
it was great and i cant wait to sign the wife up for it next spring. i also agree with having different levels for the course. we could also run a winter 101.

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 08:20:24 PM »
if you plan to do more then 1 in a year then maybe a mandatory friday evening meet with the participants for a basic run down of what will be going on. answer the newbie questions friday night and have more time saturday to run the show. and maybe an optional 202 on sunday. some people may prefer to fill a whole weekend with the jeep stuff. i found mclean perfect. it has a good mix of trails to try and its close to the city and easy to find.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
And free camping, if the Sunday run is a go.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
I think that Hps4evr and Tubby89 have some VERY good ideas there. I wasn't able to attend this year's 101 (stupid job...interferes with my wheeling WAY too much), but from what I saw participating in last year's run, they're right on the money. I know that if I had been offered the chance to keep participating on Sunday when took the 101, I would have been all over it.

The other suggestion that I would make:

#1. Smaller groups for the trail runs after the gravel pit, and different routes for the groups.

#2. If possible, assign volunteers to specific tasks early, and use some of your most experienced volunteers in a "swing" capacity...they can cover for those folks that have last-minute breakdowns, or help out in places where things are slowing down. IIRC, you spent a bit of time in the military, right? Maybe think of using them as a "Swing NCO" for the course.

#3. Part of the "meet and greet" can be questionnaire that asks folks about their wheeling experience. If you break them into groups, you can choose trails well suited to expereince levels.

The Sunday time could include a quick tutorial on winching/recovery as well.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline hps4evr

• Administrator
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 06:52:08 PM »
Aaron, i was going to mention that you should get some fellow club memebers early on to agree to help out. do a couple meetings and get some form of basic instructions to give. that way there isnt 10 different versions of how to drive up a hill. could be confusing for some newer folks. maybe put together a small handout for each paying participant that has a run down and explanation of what will be goin down at the 101.
YJ=Y’all Jealous

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »
Thank You for the input keep things coming as they come to mind.
I will be working with a couple other members on overhauling the 101 for next year. There will be several dates I am thinking three to four over the summer pending on interest. I really want to try to stay away from a class room portion. this is an outdoor sport let's stay there. A basic run down of trade lightly and trail edict i.e. pack it in pack it out. will be incorporated.
I like the idea of a booklet with a little more than basic information, but also good internet sights so people can go get detailed information themselves.