Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Off road 101 Feed Back  (Read 8356 times)

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
Re: Off road 101 Feed Back
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 07:06:48 AM »
as soon as i become a full member count me in to help out! ;)

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
These are all fantastic ideas and I really agree with the different levels (101, 202 etc).
I had been a passenger but had never driven off-road myself before the 101 and personally found it fairly easy.  I would be very interested in a 202 course or a winter 101 course. :)  I also think the idea of splitting the groups into smaller, skill-based groups is an excellent one.

I found the winch and towstrap (etc) sessions very useful, thanks!  It was a great day and I learned a lot!

K.

Offline Waytec

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not all there
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 10:49:38 PM »
I am finding it interesting that people found the day too easy, gust right and way over their heads.  I am hoping by having smaller groups we will be able to help the less experienced and challenge the more. And if all else fails we will send them with Billy.
I am clarify the 3 to 4 separate days the idea is to have much smaller groups max of 10 to 20 rigs so this way 2 to 3 people can run the day, it won't be the grand event anymore.
Why does your Jeep say Toyota on it?
The obstacle is the path.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 08:12:21 AM »
I think that you could even have the "Grand Event" as long as the second half of the day (trail run) was run with smaller groups. We could put people into preliminary groups based on their experience levels, watch them go through the "gauntlet" in the gravel pit, and then adjust the groups if needed.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline BBD

• Winch Wench
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »
I have been interested in joining this group for awhile now, after reading these posts I think the CJA upholds the off-roading ideals that I believe in. I really like the idea of a questionnaire, this would be a great tool for me as well as for the CJA, as I am sort of new to the off-roading world, I am not sure were my skill level is and would be very interested to know what skills I need to work on.  Perhaps a questionnaire prior to being made a member, or before an event would be a good idea.  that way 101 type events could be more easily planned in advance when the organizers know what skill level the participating members are at. That would make it easier to match instructors with students.
As for the classroom idea, I like the idea of it, but i am more of a hands on learner. so maybe an outdoor class (not a trail run) could teach beginners the features of there jeeps and how they are properly used ,  or how to make repairs in the field (and make it home safely).
I was able to make it to a couple of meetings, but didn't get a chance to really meet the members. A meet and greet were people can meet the members and ask questions about the CJA face to face, could really be beneficial in recruiting new members.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 10:33:26 AM »
I have been interested in joining this group for awhile now, after reading these posts I think the CJA upholds the off-roading ideals that I believe in. I really like the idea of a questionnaire, this would be a great tool for me as well as for the CJA, as I am sort of new to the off-roading world, I am not sure were my skill level is and would be very interested to know what skills I need to work on.  Perhaps a questionnaire prior to being made a member, or before an event would be a good idea.  that way 101 type events could be more easily planned in advance when the organizers know what skill level the participating members are at. That would make it easier to match instructors with students.
As for the classroom idea, I like the idea of it, but i am more of a hands on learner. so maybe an outdoor class (not a trail run) could teach beginners the features of there jeeps and how they are properly used ,  or how to make repairs in the field (and make it home safely).
I was able to make it to a couple of meetings, but didn't get a chance to really meet the members. A meet and greet were people can meet the members and ask questions about the CJA face to face, could really be beneficial in recruiting new members.

Thanks.  ;D
 I hope you make it out to more meetings.  It looks like the club will be part of a trail project on October 24-25. Working on a trail project is a great way to get to know the group here. 
Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 03:40:25 PM »
I think that in order to graduate to the "202" you must be able to run the gravelpit course in 1:45 or less.... teeeheeeeheeee
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:57:05 PM by Immortal »
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Puddle Jumper

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
I think that in order to graduate to the "202" you must be able to run the gravelpit course in 1:45 or les.... teeeheeeeheeee

No problem!!   ;D

Offline jandh

• UberWheeler
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:19 AM »
I didn't know feedback was even in order?.   When I left the 101 I had no questions and no concern's.  Except being bummed out that it was over :(     I think as a 101 , that in my mind being a Absolute beginner class,  that it was perfect for what it was.    No one likes standing around while your shown how to hook up a winch or properly tow someone, all we want to do is drive.  BUT those things are necessary and I was happy that they were not rushed.

So all in all i give ya a 9/10        Would have been nice if it would have been longer, but that's just cause i don't like to stop  .

Oh and Again thanks to Arron and all the other guys for helping out, I had a blast!!
1991 YJ

Offline Aspirated

• Budget Lift
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 02:53:53 PM »
I've been following this post from the start and i liked the idea of a winter 101 or 202 is there any plans for this event?
What would i spend my money on if it wern't for JEEP's
1998 XJ
2008 KK

Offline LAHAL

• Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 10:17:27 PM »
Been a few months since anyone mentioned anything, but here are my 2 cents.

The smaller groups is a great idea. Even if we all have to do the same trail, just have them start 30 minutes apart

Have 2 or 3 trails for the 101. The normal 101 trail that was used for the last 2 years, can be considered Intermediate to some. So maybe make the Top of the World run a Beginner trail, as even a stock Jeep with bold tires could make that trail with ease. As for a Advanced Trail, well, my Jeep is still stock, so you can pick it.

Provide a Map, custom made by the Jeep Club, that shows where these trails are. And maybe even color code them like ski hill runs, Green for easy, Blue for intermediate, and Black for advanced. Must people would understand those colors as difficulty levels. And if they don't, they'll learn.

And finally, make sure to mark the trails with the correct colors at the beginning of each trail you pick, so that no one accidentally goes into a trail that they don't feel comfortable in.

Those are my 2 cents, other then that, I think you've done a great job so far Waytec. Can wait for next years 101.

Offline Tagg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2009, 06:14:23 AM »
Yes the idea of signage like a ski hill is a good one. GPS coordinates on the sign and then on a map would be great.
It's no small job to do it but I'll volunteer to help.
08 Rubicon

Offline Whiskeyjack

• Winch Wench
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »
Just found this thread. I would love to get out for this "101" and  learn some new stuff. I could also possibly help out with this signage idea aswell if needed. I work for a sign shop and would love to help out if possible.  ;)
2007 JK unlimited
285/70/ 17 Wrangler Duratrac's
PIAA 520's

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
We're starting to get beyond the scope of that "101 feedback" thread here. Any signage would have to be approved by ASRD...and having that done would be a multi-year project, probably taking a LARGE block of time from one or two people. Just so that I'm clear, all of the time would be invested just to get the approval to install the signs. We would still have to fund them, produce them, and install them...and I'd wager that we'd be on the hook for maintaining them and removing them if SRD decided that was appropriate.

I think that it's a laudable idea, but we all need to understand what would be involved.

As far as a custom map goes, that would be helpful...but there are also some very good maps available right at the McLean store for $12 that have the trails named. Asking on here if a particular trail is suitable for your rig and experience level will generally be better than a "colour" rating, as the difficulty of a trail is VERY dependent on conditions. Take Fisher East as an example....when it's frozen over, it's easily do-able for a stocker. When it's wet, it's a challenge on anything less than 37's.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline LAHAL

• Budget Lift
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
I was just thinking of signs just for the event. Even card board spray paint green, blue or black. That we can just take with us and recycle after the event.