Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Activity on HAM bands other than 2 meter  (Read 8480 times)

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
Re: Activity on HAM bands other than 2 meter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »
I think that given the price of the other components of the system (anywhere from 800 to 1600 for a transciever, 200 for an antenna, 300 for a tuner), spending $130 or $150 on a first rate mount is a sound decision. Looking at VHF/UHF mobile is already sucking back a reasonable amount of cash. HF mobile...well, that'll probably have to wait for at least a year or two. I don't think that I'd be happy doing it if I was picking components of the system based solely on being able to tolerate the performance inside a price envelope. I'd much rather tolerate the price inside a performance envelope. Mods happen more slowly that way, but they do seem to put a smile on your face when it's done.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline i_go_commando

• UberWheeler
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
so now that i have my basic and advanced, what do i do. i bought a used yaesu 817. (turns out with the wrong power). where would you mount a antenea on somrthing like a GC with no spare tire. im still partial to the fender mount ( i usualy go off one of the bolts thats already there. im thinking a shortened cd antena for hf and another antana for everything elese. but i havent looked into it yet. i do have dual antena ports on this radio
1973 jeep commando -amc 360, 727,203/208, waggy d 44 and amc20- soa, OBA- on hiatus
1958 fc 170 cabover quad cab 3/4 pickup.continetal engine/ 700r4/ dana 300 current project

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:08 PM »
If you're looking to use it in your Jeep, the 817 might not be the right rig for you.

Then again, 5 watts can do a lot for you if you know what repeater to bounce it off of.

As far as antenna mounting on a Grand goes...drill a hole and stick it in the middle of the roof. You'll get performance that us Wrangler guys can only dream of.
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Brooneg

• Budget Lift
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
are any of you guys going o be at the meeting tonight?  I am very new to the HAM world, and would love to have someone take a look at what I've done with my ZJ