Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Stupid snow/city.  (Read 23628 times)

Offline The Machinist

• CJA Members
  • That CB Yapper
  • I’m with stupid!
Re: Stupid snow/city.
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »
Have to get in on this one.......

I'll usually lock the hubs and go to 4hi if I can kick the tires loose in 2wd, if I can't I'll stay in 2wd.  You will stop faster in 4wd, the drive train will prevent either the front or the back from locking seperately, front and rear tires will have to lock together which gives less of a chance of locking your tires up.  I all ways pick a lane with a ditch, thats my out.  You'll stop faster and at least you will only damage your own vehicle.  Growing up in northern BC I've been in the ditch many times dodging animals, snow plows and other vehicles fish tailing in to my lane.  In my opinion, you don't have time to think if something is going to happen.  You need a plan, my plan is the ditch, if I need to stop I hit the ditch, if I can't stop I hit the ditch, if I'm losing control I aim for the ditch, if another vehicle is coming at me losing control I hit the ditch, I don't think about it, I just do it.  I've never hit anything, but I have been in the ditch a few times. ;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:16:46 AM by The Machinist »
I just can’t resist a good mud hole!  🤦

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »
Makes sense....I wasn't thinking of the drivetrain's ability to overpower the brake's ability to lock up.

and yes, the ditch is a good choice.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2009, 05:21:55 PM »
Have to get in on this one.......

I'll usually lock the hubs and go to 4hi if I can kick the tires loose in 2wd, if I can't I'll stay in 2wd.  You will stop faster in 4wd, the drive train will prevent either the front or the back from locking seperately, front and rear tires will have to lock together which gives less of a chance of locking your tires up.  I all ways pick a lane with a ditch, thats my out.  You'll stop faster and at least you will only damage your own vehicle.  Growing up in northern BC I've been in the ditch many times dodging animals, snow plows and other vehicles fish tailing in to my lane.  In my opinion, you don't have time to think if something is going to happen.  You need a plan, my plan is the ditch, if I need to stop I hit the ditch, if I can't stop I hit the ditch, if I'm losing control I aim for the ditch, if another vehicle is coming at me losing control I hit the ditch, I don't think about it, I just do it.  I've never hit anything, but I have been in the ditch a few times. ;D

This set of tactics makes a LOT of sense.

4X4 will not allow you to defy the laws of physics, and it will MOSTLY help you to get going faster...but a vehicle that is in 4X4 is less likely to have one or two wheels lock up.

Hmmmm....the fact that you grew up in Hudson's Hope probably has something to do with knowing a few things about winter driving. For those of you that don't know, HWY 29 is usually pretty horrific during the winter months. Lots of hills, sharp turns (some of the decreasing radius turns), and little to no shoulder. And logging trucks to dodge.  :o
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:02 AM »
We've had this discussion here before. In fact, the exact same one.

The use of 4hi will only bind and cause understeer during sharp turns where the differential does not have time to keep up. Under normal road driving "binding" is virtually non existant.  If it did exist, you would not be able to get the case out of 4hi after using it on a dry surface.

Like when Denise tried to remove the ZJ from 4hi last month, when she had 456 gear in the front, and 355's in the rear. Not fun.

As for whether or not you drive in 4wd or 2wd when the roads are bad, honestly, who cares. Its your decision to do whatever you are comfortable with, or what ever makes you more comfortable when on the bad roads.

Just so long as everyone understands there is no additional risk or wear and tear above normal if you decide to drive to and from work using 4hi.
My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline kueh

• Stocker
Re: Stupid snow/city. Seriously, how to drive in a Liberty
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2010, 01:56:38 PM »
Um, I''ve had an '07 Liberty for a month now.  Snow season is approaching.

Any pointers as to how to drive reasonably, using the 2wd, 4hi, and 4lo options?

For those who help people out, what kind of additional hardware would I need to add so that could moderately help others?

'07 Sport, 3.7L, 6M... pretty much stock as far as I can tell...

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »
I would be wary of helping people.  accidents happen and so do lawsuits.

Drive in 2wd unless you have a FT and PT (full-time and part-time) selector on your transfer case.  then you can use FT all year long if you want. (read manual)
If you are on snow or slippery areas you can go to 4wheel hi until dry pavement then back to 2 wheel drive.
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »
i've heard those Liberties are 'trail rated' 

be careful though; 4wd doesn't help you slow down, and won't stop you from sliding into someone else.  these libbies are tough but they still scratch pretty easy and get hungup on the smallest of obstacles.

if you want to help, keep a cell phone charger handy so you can help stuck people call towtrucks, or pack some good boots and wintergear to help push cars out of snowbanks..............   

welcome to Calgary.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2010, 02:32:24 PM »
ZOMBIE POST!!!!  :o :o :o

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2010, 02:58:15 PM »
that's why we keep posts.  so people can search and read rather than start a new post on the same thing every other day.

if the person started a new post, who would say "have you used the search"?

come on...
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline TJ54

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/tj54jeep
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2010, 03:15:17 PM »
If you help pull someone out, Have them attach the end to their vehicle. That will take the pressure of you if their bumper or rotted out tow point comes flying off
I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Offline kueh

• Stocker
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2010, 07:11:47 PM »
Thanks for replies.

Should I install tow hooks up front, just in case?  Or rear (if there is a place for them)?

Where can one still get good metal bumpers for the '07 Liberties?  It seems everyone has dropped them from their inventory.

Zombie post perhaps, but snow/city/jeeps....never ending.....

Offline hamrtime

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »
i had an '02 with offroad pkg, tow hooks mounted (hanging down) where indicated in pic below,
for rear tug point it had tow pkg 2" receiver

bare roads "2wd", during the snowy days of winter "fulltime"
i found fulltime noticably harder on gas and robbed some hp

'89 yj - bought new - almost got my moneys worth
'97 xj - family cruiser now

Offline vantagetes

• That CB Yapper
  • Edmonton Trail Rated
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
Rocky Road Outfitters makes one, ARB makes one as well. They are around just most people won't have one listed or in stock as they aren't a hot selling item.

A shovel, cellphone and a bag of sand are the best things you could carry. If you want to get into towing you'll need a good tow point on your vehicle (even a trailer hitch would work), a recovery strap and some smarts.

Look the tow over and make sure you're not going to rip anything off their vehicle or yours. Also be sure you are in a safe position where you're not going to get run over by the next idiot driving through, or that if you get stuck yourself you're not blocking the road even more.

Liability is a huge issue, if you rip their axle off whos gonna pay for it? They have the saying nice guys finish last for a reason.

Good luck and happy towing!

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:50 PM »
ZOMBIE POLAR BEAR...winter is coming