Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: YJ transfer case clunk  (Read 1475 times)

mike

YJ transfer case clunk
« on: December 25, 2005, 07:08:37 PM »
This may be very basic, but....

I’ve driven an XJ with Command Trac (part-time 4x4) for some time, and I use it quite often in the snow here. I’m use to how much you can hit dry patches before the transfer case winds up and you have to shift back to 4x2. I just bought a ’93 YJ, and I am getting a bad bang from the transfer case after engaging 4 high and driving 10 feet. I thought the part-time set up was similar, but do you have to be on complete ice or mud to use the 4x4 with a YJ? Even on dirt it clunks when starting up. The linkage seems set correctly and the mileage is low on the case. Is this normal or is the case shot? Thanks,

mike

mike

YJ transfer case clunk
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 02:54:25 PM »
Problem solved...in case anyone searches with a similar issue, after several hours of diagnostics, I found there was a small hole in one of the vacuum lines to the front hub actuator. It wouldn’t hold in 4WD, and when it popped out it would send a clunk through the whole drivetrain.

yjpaul

YJ transfer case clunk
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
Yea, i used to have that same problem too.  I actually got so sick of it, i did the steel brake cable mod so i can directly engage the front axle from the drivers seat via steel cable.  Works perfectly.