Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Bed Liner?  (Read 12764 times)

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
  • I drive a Liberty. No. I am not a woman.
Bed Liner?
« on: December 27, 2009, 06:42:27 PM »
I am going to coat my stock fender flares with a bed-liner coating. There are a few do-it yourself kits out there. Any kits you would recommend or stay away from? I don't want to take my four fenders to a bed-liner shop and I will probably do it in my garage. Is a spray on kit better than a roll on kit?
Thanks in advance.
My grandma hasn't been helping me out as much as she used to

Offline esi

• That CB Yapper
Re: Bed Liner?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
check an  auto body part store. You used to be able to get a kit that came with a gun and everything you'll need
Formerly of Boots & Boost Inc
Back farming and fabricating again.

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:07:58 AM »
What about "kits" that you can buy from CrappyTire? Anyone try it out?

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »
Hippo liner, Gator Guard II and the new one that is at CT are all made by Dominion sure seal. I've used Gator Guard and Hippo liner with excellent results. They are a 2 part epoxy, which I like. I used Duplicolor's pre mix and it worked fine, but I feel the GG and HL were superior.

Spray it if you want it tl look professional. These were all sprayed with a $25 Shutz gun from CT @ 30 -40 psi.

Duplicolour

Gator Guard II

Hippo Liner

Gator Guard II

Gator Guard II

Hippo Liner
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 12:00:51 PM by cablesmurf »
Hi, my name is Dan and I'm a Jeepaholic

Offline T-BOAN

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 05:37:20 AM »
Thank you for your reply and the pics buddy. I appreciate it. I'll pick up a kit and spray gun soon. Have to wait till it warms up a bit before I try this in my garage.

Offline i_go_commando

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »
what did you use to clean up the gun with afterwards. was there a lot of overspray. did you have to think out the bedliner to spray it?
1973 jeep commando -amc 360, 727,203/208, waggy d 44 and amc20- soa, OBA- on hiatus
1958 fc 170 cabover quad cab 3/4 pickup.continetal engine/ 700r4/ dana 300 current project

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »
It was easy to spray. Yes, lots of overspray. Masking is the hardest part. Use dropclothes for the floor... You need them. Used varasol to clean the gun. Fill than and spray it thru don't get it on your clothes. It'll never come off. Use rubber gloves unless you want to wear it for a week. Makensure your surface prep is done properly or it can peel or chip. Don't over saturate. Peel the tape before it dries or it may not come off.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:57:30 PM »
I did my interior tub with Durabak.  Very durable and available in lots of colors.  I used a paint brush for mine, but afterwards saw it done with a spray gun.  Spray gun is definitely the way to go.  Only drawback to Durabak, not very available in Canada.  I got mine from the US.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
If anyone is interested, I will spray rockers, tubs and truck beds. If you do the prep work I will spray it in my heated garage for $200 + cost of material. $400 + material if I do the prep work. Coloured liner is available.

Dan
403 618-2678
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:56:54 AM by cablesmurf »

Offline morerpmfred

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:54:32 PM »
How did they ship the durabak ? I understand there is a hazardus material shipping across the border problem with the ups , fed ex usps etc
Really like some of the colers they have.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 07:00:39 PM »
I live in Lethbridge, so I ordered it to the US side of the border and drove down and picked it up along with a number of other goodies.  I did it about 9 years ago.  Its holding up well.
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
LINE X on  42nd street at Blackfoot does extraordinary work.
It will cost less, be done better than buying material and having someone else do it for you.
My 8.5 foot longbox cost me $400.
My rocker panels in Blue cost $600.
Speak with Craig. Use my name as a reference for a better deal. i know that someone on here is at Line X north but the 'deal' they offered me was nowhere close to Craig's deal.

But, it will not adhere to PLASTIC.

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline after6queers

• BANNED
  • Budget Lift
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
Also try Rhino Lining beside Chanda I am getting my bumpers done there and am getting a really good deal!! Give you an oppurtunity to shop around as Line-X and Rhino are less then 5 minutes apart.
2001 Jeep TJ - 4" Lift 35's MTZ Chanda made bumpers, fenders and sliders...still working on her!!!

Offline Rich99

• Budget Lift
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 06:10:05 PM »
If anyone is interested, I will spray rockers, tubs and truck beds. If you do the prep work I will spray it in my heated garage for $200 + cost of material. $400 + material if I do the prep work. Coloured liner is available.

Dan
403 618-2678

Dan, what would you charge me to do my TJ Grill?
Rich.

Offline cablesmurf

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Relapsed Jeep Addict
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 12:59:45 AM »
Just the grill? I would do the edge of the hood and the front of the fenders too. These are common spots for rock chips and rusting. $100 plus material. Works out to be about $150.

Here's how it looked on my tracker...