Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Anyone here using Balancing Beads?  (Read 2006 times)

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
Anyone here using Balancing Beads?
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
So I am looking to balance my mt/r's, and mud tire, and especially boggers arent the easiest to balance, so I did some research and found these guys.

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/

Im going to try their beads, as I see there is a retailer in Calgary.  I am skeptical, and I am not holding my breath for mileage gains, but I would like to see improved tire wear...

Any thoughts?
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline cuzican

• That CB Yapper
Re: Anyone here using Balancing Beads?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
Can't speak for balancing beads but I have used BB's to dynamically balance 35" MTRs for about three years. Works very well except for the noise - the BBs keep spinning for a while once you come to a stop. Balance appears to be quite good and I have driven the jeep up to 120 km for short periods. This may seem low to some people, however, that's fast enough for me in an old jeep with 7" of lift. Tires have worn quite well.

Also been experimenting with antifreeze in 36" TSL Bias tires. Quieter, however could be more of a problem to cleanup if a tire comes off a rim while on a trail ride. Also can't drive as fast on these - I grit my teeth at about 80 kph.
Southern Alberta Coulee Kruzer (new name same great wheelers)
97 TJ with improvements,  05 TJ Unlimited, 06 TJ Rubicon

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
Have been using counteract for a while now and it works great.  In the process of an experiment.  The countact beads look the same as a glass bead used for sand blasting but a little larger.  The largest you can get in glass bead is a #3 grit.  I ordered a bag of #3 and it is only a little bit smaller than the counteract product.  I am going to use a food scale & the #3 glass bead instead of couneract.  Reason I suggest this is because the glass silicate should have the same static electricity properties as the counteract & only costs about $25 per 20 pound bag(which will do hundreds of tires) where the counteract will cost you approx. $5-$7 a tire.  Plus glass bead is easier to buy than counteract.  The only Calgary dealer I am aware of does not sell to the public.  

Only problem that I see with using coolant is that if you blow a bead or cut a tire it is not the best thing to be spilling onto the ground or into a stream.  Tread Lightly.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 05:58:20 PM by 4PLAYZJ »

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:31 PM »
Have been using counteract for a while now and it works great.  In the process of an experiment.  The countact beads look the same as a glass bead used for sand blasting but a little larger.  The largest you can get in glass bead is a #3 grit.  I ordered a bag of #3 and it is only a little bit smaller than the counteract product.  I am going to use a food scale & the #3 glass bead instead of couneract.  Reason I suggest this is because the glass silicate should have the same static electricity properties as the counteract & only costs about $25 per 20 pound bag(which will do hundreds of tires) where the counteract will cost you approx. $5-$7 a tire.  Plus glass bead is easier to buy than counteract.  The only Calgary dealer I am aware of does not sell to the public. 

On their website, they say Alberta Auto Supply sells them, as well as Reynard Auto Supply.  Is it one of these?  I was hoping to pick up a set early next week..

http://www.counteractbalancing.com/Alberta.htm

I better call before I show up.
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 05:55:09 PM »
I guess I should also ask, where did you get yours from 4PLAYZJ?
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 05:59:42 PM »
I bought mine from Autoquip but they dont sell to the public.  Good to know that other places carry them now.

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 06:07:54 PM »
Also been experimenting with antifreeze in 36" TSL Bias tires. Quieter, however could be more of a problem to cleanup if a tire comes off a rim while on a trail ride. Also can't drive as fast on these - I grit my teeth at about 80 kph.

I have 6 oz of counteract in my 36 super swampers & I have had my jeep up to 140kph with no vibes, maybe give it a try, I tried at different times balancing, sand & airsoft to try and correct the massive vibes from these tires & none worked completely.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 08:31:27 PM »
I use about 8oz of BBs in my 37" IROKS. Works great. Paid less than $20 for 2 packs of BBs and and a small food scale at Walmart.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:47 PM »
i just got mine done.
Al at Calgary Muffler (58th and Macleod) will take care of you.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.