Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Clunk Clunk CLunk  (Read 1048 times)

YoungFluff03TJ

Clunk Clunk CLunk
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
So i lifted my 03 TJ a little (3") and went through some mud. got stuck. got pulled out. then every time i turned the wheel past center there would be a noticeable (sound and feel) clunking sound. its all clean and I just replaced the lower control arms (need to be done) with teraflex adjustables... now the clunking is still there, but its much quiter...whats going on? any body?

Offline nickcoleman9

• Baby Wheeler
Re: Clunk Clunk CLunk
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
check bushings for shocks and sway bar ect....
then U joints.
Also lift front up and shake everything with weight off tires, usually you can track it down with these steps

Offline Rubi03 jef

• Talks waaay too much!
  • she never understands
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:38:59 AM »
i wanna say u joints

mine do the same they are being changed this weekend .

but check everything jack her up and like the above person said start shacking and checking stuff get a crow bar and try putting some force on your axel shafts see if the u joints move or have play in them check bearings and check the control arms but if there new then they should be fine
04 rubicon <4'' X series RC lift, 1.25'' RC body lift, 1'' RC MML, CV rear drive shaft,  Stubby front bumper, CB,35 MTZ" ,Hi Lifter 54'',LED tail lights , flat fenders, LED front Flasher, half doors, Light force spots, and CDN M101 custom Military trailer

Offline jeepjones

• Budget Lift
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:34:29 AM »
Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the steering components, I'm willing to bet its the track bar.

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:43:47 AM »
Is the adjuster for the steering linkage catch on something as it goes past center? Have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while you watch underneath, look at both ends of trac bar and all tie rod ends. Look for slop as well as up and down movement. Also try just jiggling the wheel back and forth a small amount taking up the slack while watching underneath.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Mikes off road

• Budget Lift
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 10:51:23 AM »
x2 for the trac bar. I returned from Lee's last weekend and had the same noise. Had my daughter crank the wheel from side to side while I watched. Ended up the jam nut came loose on the rod end.
98 XJ Classic with a Fulltraction 6" lift 35" MTZ on Procomp rims. Locked front and rear with 4.56 gears. Warn bumber with 9000lb winch. Custom built rock rails, rear bumber with sotc, and skid plates.

YoungFluff03TJ

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
Righ on guys, it was the track bar being a little loose. thanks for the info

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
glad you found it.

when I put my front end together I must have forgotten to tighten the bolt for the track bar to attach to the body enough and when on an angle(going arround curves on an angle) I would have to steer the opposite way, otherwise I would have been heading into the ditch(glad I only did this for a day)
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(