Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Diagnostic Trouble Code 95 ZJ  (Read 1191 times)

ika667

Diagnostic Trouble Code 95 ZJ
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:18:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

My engine light is not on, however when I went to start my ZJ this morning it made a different noise and seemed to struggle for a second before it started. When I checked the code, it gave me this:

Code 12: Problem with the battery connection. Direct battery input to PCM disconnected within the last 50 ignition key cycles.

Code 17: Engine is cold too long. Engine coolant temperature remains below normal operating temperatures during operation. (Check thermostat)

Now I am far from being a mechanic, can anyone explain to me what's going on, and if its a big deal? I am leaving on a 10 000 KM road trip next week, is it going to be OK?

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
Re: Diagnostic Trouble Code 95 ZJ
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »

thermostat is stuck open.
change it.  that should solve your problem of runnin to cold. 

good luck on your 10k journey.
go team ZJ!
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:07:57 PM »
OBD1 is the computer system used on pre 96 vehicles. I have never really had good luck with obd1 providing much in the way of useful info.
if your vehicle achieves and maintains a normal temp on the gauge, your 'stat is probably ok.
how does it drive?
If it seems to lag at some times and surge at others, but starts and runs ok overall, I usually check the tps first.
My 95 xj (similar electronics) recently started acting funny as described above. check engine light came on. when I pulled the code, to confirm my tps suspicion, the code was for a fault in the ac system. I ignored the code, replaced the tps, and the light stopped coming on and it ran normally again.

good luck!!
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 03:09:44 PM »

Code 12: Problem with the battery connection. Direct battery input to PCM disconnected within the last 50 ignition key cycles.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, clean your battery connections.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:55:32 PM »
Seems pretty straight forward to me, clean your battery connections.

Even more straightforward than that....if it has been boosted or unhooked in the last 50 starts, this code shows.
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »
The code coupled with starting issues makes me think connections. You are correct though, anytime the battery is disconnected or run dead this code will show.

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles