Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tire Chains?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Tire Chains?
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:09:04 PM »
Now that I have new tires and may head out on the trails again shoud I have tire chains for winter wheeling? What is the opinion on enviromental impact of chains? Who runs with them? Where do they sell them? Are there differnt brands that work better? I had a set for my old pick up truck but they may be to small, if I can find them.  

Any advise on the advantages, impact,  usage, fit or brands would be help full.

Thanks,
Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
Tire Chains?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
I use them for winter wheeling.  I find I can walk where others have to give er' all ' he77.  I guess it depends on how you use them.  If you rip and tear, they would be worse than anything.  Sensibility is the key.  

Definitely get V groove with cam adjusters.  I bought mine at a big rig shop.  Freightliner I believe.

HTH,
98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Re: Tire Chains?
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 10:26:17 PM »
I have some for your 31s if you want Blair.  8)

I used them only last year. I don't need them anymore because i'm going bigger. I would recommed them for winter wheeling (ONLY). You can't go fast with chains (very max of 20km/h). You also t have to be gentle with your driving (avoid spinning)  because you can break your axle easier (due to unreal traction)....and...only use then on snow and ice because it rips the trail up ( www.treadlightly.org ).

T   Travel and recreate with minimum impact.
R   Respect the environment and the rights of others.
E   Educate yourself, plan and prepare before you go.
A   Allow for future use of the outdoors; Leave it better than you found it.
D   Discover the rewards of responsible recreation.

I got my chains @ Gregg near Standens on 11th ave SE. They have 2 cams per chain and "V" links. If you go new.. get ones with cams... using bungee cords to tighten chains sucks (excuse my French). Anyway ...it's the way to go for winter wheeling....unless you like to toboggan backwards down an icy hill  :twisted: .

Did that once... got chains the very next day.

Anyway... PM me if your intrested.

Cheers

Offline kevman

• Budget Lift
    • http://members.shaw.ca/thekevman
Tire Chains?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:31:58 AM »
Hey dom,

I seem to remember your chains doing a little "body work" for you.  I'm interested in them but how much extra clearance do I need?

Kevin
uh...
My shovels nicer!

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
Tire Chains?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 08:33:18 AM »
Quote from: "kevman"
Hey dom,

I seem to remember your chains doing a little "body work" for you.  I'm interested in them but how much extra clearance do I need?

Kevin

Hi Kevin,..
Yes they did... but not that much. It was rubbing a bit on the plastic on the lower part my Fender flairs when I was flexing. It might be different with a ZJ. I had use also rims with a offset because I have leaf spring in the back of my XJ.

The best way to know is to put them on! Who ever wants them are more then welcome to try them first. You have to make sure they fit well because they can do some serious boddy damage....

Its' Sat. AM (8:30)... I'm off to the Bike show!!!... I'll be at the AURS boot if you want them now. I always have them in the Heep.

Offline 01sahara

• Talks waaay too much!
Chains
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:12:24 PM »
Hey Dom, I sent you a PM with my phone number let me know if you still have the chains.

Thanks,
Blair
Super Winch, 33" MT, 2 1/2" lift , CB, Flat Fender
http://melaman2.com/cartoons/singles/george-jungle.html