Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: You know you are a redneck when......  (Read 6713 times)

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
Re: You know you are a redneck when......
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Sorry gotta pipe in on the topic:

TGI is not Tongue and Groove I - Beam.  Though that is a good one!  TGI is just the bad pronounciation of TJI, though the Tongue and Groove kinda makes sense.

Was in the Engineered wood business for a lot of years and even helped design the joists and the machines that produced your roof rafters.

The correct term is TJI (Truss Joist I - Joist), though that is like calling a bandage a Band-Aid.  Just the common usage is all, as Truss Joist pretty much invented the engineered wood I-joist.

Those rafters are actually NJ12's produced by the now defunct Nascor Inc., at least I hope they are at least NJ12's (11 7/8" depth).  I can only guess why you got them at a good deal. ;)  

Sorry, way off topic.  Garage looks good though.
Thanks for the info, nothing worse than using the wrong terms.  The guy I bought my kitchen package from called them TGI's.  I  used NJ10's but that is why the spacing for the roof is 16"o/c instead of 24.  The Nj 10's did not carry enough live/dead load at 24"/13.5' span for our possible snow loads here.   Think I will have probs with the 16" centres on a 13.5' span with 2x4 furring strapped to the top?

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 03:03:01 PM »
probably a good idea not to put in floor heat cause when you go to install a hoist you could damage your heating system when you drill into the floor and that would suck. trust me this has happened to a friend not a fun repair.

Dilling into a heated floor is actually VERY easy. You just need to locate the tubes first. I've done it a few times on mine. I use an infrared heat gun and with it can tell EXACTLY where the tubes are.

Also if you are building a new garage you can always lay the heating coils out so they leave room for where the future hoist will be or if you have the hoist already you could even set in anchors when being poured.

Drilling into a heated floor and not knowing where the coils are is asking for trouble....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline justchillinout

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Don't worry, everyone calls them TGI's.  It just always bugged me.

Sounds like you have built it right.  The 2x4 strapping is the best thing you could have done.  Not only does it offer strength, but it will give you air flow if you insulate your ceiling (which is probably a better way to spend your money than even the overhead heater).

Did you put a chamfered ledger on your top cap plate?  Cutting birdsmouths into the joist normally isn't a good idea. 

What about your overhang, do you scab on 2x4's and extend them out?

not that any of that really matters.

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Sorry gotta pipe in on the topic:

TGI is not Tongue and Groove I - Beam.  Though that is a good one!  TGI is just the bad pronounciation of TJI, though the Tongue and Groove kinda makes sense.

Was in the Engineered wood business for a lot of years and even helped design the joists and the machines that produced your roof rafters.

The correct term is TJI (Truss Joist I - Joist), though that is like calling a bandage a Band-Aid.  Just the common usage is all, as Truss Joist pretty much invented the engineered wood I-joist.

Those rafters are actually NJ12's produced by the now defunct Nascor Inc., at least I hope they are at least NJ12's (11 7/8" depth).  I can only guess why you got them at a good deal. ;) 

Sorry, way off topic.  Garage looks good though.

Ok, well now I know who just volunteered to help me design my next Garage!!
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline 4PLAYZJ

• UberWheeler
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 08:47:34 PM »
Don't worry, everyone calls them TGI's.  It just always bugged me.

Sounds like you have built it right.  The 2x4 strapping is the best thing you could have done.  Not only does it offer strength, but it will give you air flow if you insulate your ceiling (which is probably a better way to spend your money than even the overhead heater).

Did you put a chamfered ledger on your top cap plate?  Cutting birdsmouths into the joist normally isn't a good idea. 

What about your overhang, do you scab on 2x4's and extend them out?

not that any of that really matters.
I used a chanfered ledger on the top plates with 2x10 outrigger system with a 2x10 fascia board.  I know it is over kill but we plan to stay in this house.  The 2x4 strapping was an afterthought.  I was about to start sheeting the roof and realized that the engineered plans had a flaw, no ventilation.  So my choice was to use halfway ridge vents with less insulation, which are pricey & I could not find a place that stocked them or just fur up the roof to create an air gap at the top & use a regular ridge vent.

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
i love TJI's!!!
i use them for my ramps to get the bike in and out of my truck. They are soooo cheap compared to 'real' ramps.
it cost me $24 for (2) 8foot TJI's.
sorry for the hijack. NICE garage!

sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline justchillinout

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 06:36:11 PM »
Now there is a fitting post for a topic named "You know you are a redneck when......"