Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: How to save $$ on idlers, belts, accsessories etc.  (Read 20917 times)

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
Re: How to save $$ on idlers, belts, accsessories etc.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
well........ iam not going to be as nice as some of the other people that have responded to your post. your an idiot. so yes, you and your regurgitated, recycled Internet tec crap from "nearly a hundred forums" can go back to NAXJA. the very people you say you are trying to help with this type of Internet techno crap are the ones who will be hurt the most, for the very reasons you say, they don't know enough to know better. if you are really out there putting wrenches to other peoples jeeps, i highly recommend they take them to a professional to get looked over. you don't even have the first clue as to what makes a belt work, let alone on how, OR WHY, a belt tension has to be set. that makes you reckless and arrogant beyond belief.

i am now enraged to the point i cant even carry this on further at this point........................................................

Well I'm not going to name any names because I don't want to embarass anyone, but I was contacted a little while ago by a member of this forum. He was looking for some cheap tires since he had chewed through the outside edge of a couple of sets of fronts, and he saw that I had some for sale. I honestly couldn't just sell the guy the tires, I insisted that he bring the jeep by and told him I would see if I could figure out the problem. He was not optimistic about my chances of figuring it out but he came by anyway. I checked out his Jeep and found it to have excessive toe-in due to his 2" budget lift. Using a big pipe wrench (probably not the correct tool) I adjusted his alignment in my garage using tape measures. Of course I told him he would need to go to a shop if he wanted it to be perfect. Then I sold him some tires and he went on his merry way. That night he pm'd me that he "never knew his jeep could drive so straight" and that he had thought sudden weird swerves were part of the "jeep thing". He was very appreciative, and I was happy to help him out.

rocnrol: you may wish to consider anger management. And I would suggest that in my experience degenerating to personal insults isn't cool on web forums.

'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 08:43:02 PM »
yes you should bother !! ....i think maybe you should  ad at the end that this works for you may not work for others " try at your own risk "

so your no longer accused of "regurgitating"

i would also like to ad i have seen and heard of a 1000 ideas that people have done to fix or prolong a break. These ideas have worked for them .....and may have worked for others ....but the average joe should problly just fix it right  ;)

as a close i think you should carry on with your ideas and people should just take what they can get from it, And thats it  8)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)
With A BIG dent in the door......

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 08:46:27 PM »
well........ iam not going to be as nice as some of the other people that have responded to your post. your an idiot. so yes, you and your regurgitated, recycled Internet tec crap from "nearly a hundred forums" can go back to NAXJA. the very people you say you are trying to help with this type of Internet techno crap are the ones who will be hurt the most, for the very reasons you say, they don't know enough to know better. if you are really out there putting wrenches to other peoples jeeps, i highly recommend they take them to a professional to get looked over. you don't even have the first clue as to what makes a belt work, let alone on how, OR WHY, a belt tension has to be set. that makes you reckless and arrogant beyond belief.

i am now enraged to the point i cant even carry this on further at this point........................................................

calm down.
all he is trying to do is give ideas and options.
some things may not work for everyone, but some things do.
I have talked to Boone about the drive shaft thing and it sounds good.

if you don't have anything good to say, keep it to yourself.
you can not agree with someone, but name calling is not required, and is rude and not something that helps anyone.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
calm down.
all he is trying to do is give ideas and options.
some things may not work for everyone, but some things do.
I have talked to Boone about the drive shaft thing and it sounds good.

if you don't have anything good to say, keep it to yourself.
you can not agree with someone, but name calling is not required, and is rude and not something that helps anyone.

X 2  8)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »
rocnrol,
you are completely out of line. This is not Pirate.
a guy comes on to offer some stuff and gets crapped on for one small item of a lot of stuff he is offering for 'discussion', so he puts his heart on his sleeve wondering why...no biggie.
In all the years i have been in Calgary, which i still consider a small town, i have come to realize that everyone knows someone that knows you.
Its a small town. No need to treat people badly.
He's trying.
i guess if belt dressing is so completely VILE and DISGUSTING, they would not sell it? But they do.
All this talk about how BRUTAL of an idea it is and yet NOT ONE PERSON has provided any data that shows the life of a belt is so detrimentally shortened by using it.
So rocnrol, put up or shut up ;)

How many miles can one expect on a belt not using dressing for a minor squeal
How many miles if one uses belt dressing.

Obviously not the best solution but a band aid.

But other than the DRESSING, has the guy offered or contributed anything to this site?

Bad day Rob?
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline SwampSinger

• CJA Members
  • Talks waaay too much!
  • Baconator
    • mmmmm-bacon
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Sorry guys...  This name calling crap is frowned upon on this site. There are other ways to say your opinion.

go to Pitare, 4wheeler , not here dude.

I don't know what the heck is in the air these days... I think people are bored and need drama. ::)

Dom
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:43:13 PM by Rodjock »

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »

I don't know what the heck is in the air these days... I think people are bored and need drama. ::)

X2 Says Christa   :o
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline Vinman

• CJA Executive
  • Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 10:05:46 PM »

C'mon now Dom, you've been around long enough to know that this happens every year around this time. :'(

People really gotta winter wheel more ;D takes the stress out of everyday life.

Vince
/l ,[____],
 l---L -OlllllllO-
 ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Quote from: Bnine link=topic=25904.msg162940#msg162940      date=1341881306

Resident prick is my job and it took me ten years to earn that title

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »
you don't even have the first clue as to what makes a belt work, let alone on how, OR WHY, a belt tension has to be set. that makes you reckless and arrogant beyond belief.

well this is the 'tech' section...let's hear what makes a belt work, and how and why belt tension has to be set?

Offline WhiteOut

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 10:43:21 PM »
well this is the 'tech' section...let's hear what makes a belt work, and how and why belt tension has to be set?

The belt keeps my pants up, if its not tensioned properly then my pants fall down :( Mine works by pushing a small metal rod through a hole in the leather to hold it in a certain position. I don't use any "dressing" on mine, if it gets dusty then I just use a damp cloth to wipe it off.

Offline Tyn Pow

• Budget Lift
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »
The belt keeps my pants up, if its not tensioned properly then my pants fall down :( Mine works by pushing a small metal rod through a hole in the leather to hold it in a certain position. I don't use any "dressing" on mine, if it gets dusty then I just use a damp cloth to wipe it off.

Hardcore

So if I blow a belt on the trail I can just stuff my 34" black leather reversible from Mark Work Warehouse in there?  Will the belt buckle cause vibrations, or should I just spray on some dressing? :P

Offline OffRoadNewbie

• UberWheeler
  • I Blame Keith !!
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 11:03:47 PM »
LMAO !!!!  ;D ;D Thats too funny thanks guys i had a good laugh  ;)
2006 TJ its Green !! ;)

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 11:18:11 PM »
found it to have excessive toe-in due to his 2" budget lift. Using a big pipe wrench  I adjusted his alignment in my garage using tape measures.

You must be an engineer?

Carry on with the Tech. It's getting gooder and gooder  ;D
Jeep
With stuff

Offline rocnrol

• Baby Wheeler
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 07:55:35 AM »
belt dressing is a product that is left over from the old days, when belts were flat leather, and needed a dressing to grip. the modern v-belt is enginered to grip by a very different method. if you take a v-belt and bend it, you will see that the sides bulge out. it is this bulging as the belt moves around the sheave that grips in the groove. as allready stated by trained profesionls on this thread, if your belt is squeeling or making noise, there is an underlying issue that needs to be resolved. the aplication of dressing will attract abrasive material and degrade your belt, causing your problem to worsen, not get better. to say that a spec is "pretty friken tight" and that pro-techs and shops would do an adjustment to some arbitray bench mark just to get some one out of thier shop is where i get my hackels up.

if you are talking about a flat serpintine belt, the small groves on the one side are doing the same thing as i have all ready mentioned, but enginiers have taken the guess work out of belt tension by prviding a preset tension spring. if there is issues in a system such as this, again, there is underlying issues.

this tech fourms are for exactly what jpthing has said, to help people with little or no experience in wrenching on their stuff. not to be led down the garden path by some free thinker who does not wish to listen to the sound, trained advise from a "pro-tech" .being a journyman read seal millwright, i take great exception to this attitude. if all jpthing is doing is wrenching on his stuff, i wouldnt have cared so much, but the fact that he is offering up such a missinformed service to even lesser informed people is where i start to draw the line. no bad day for me tom, just people that pushed the wrong button with me.

in case your wondering, in a simple v-belt instalation, proper tension would be 1/64" deflection per inch of span using a deflection force (pull in pounds) rated for the belt you are using. for instance, a B belt uses 8 pounds pull for new belts, 2 pounds other wise. see there is even a spec for new belts to acount for stretch, not just pretty frikin tight.

and jpthing, i have taken anger managment, and for the most part the tools i learned do a great job for me day to day, its just that there is allways that one.......................

Offline Pookapotamus

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
for any one who is unsure of their belt tension this is a belt tension gauge:

they are inexpensive and most profesional shops have one. now quit being 14 year old girls and get back to wheeling!

p.s. yes fraser you could proble use this on your belt but you might have problems pooing afterwards. ;)