Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Is your oil zinc-y enough?  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Bnine

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Sticky Fingers
Re: Is your oil zinc-y enough?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:03 AM »
Wow this is a great response. I think this is a great way to attract new members to your club and encourage goodwill with non members. Insulting people and swearing is a great way to improve your club's image as well.

You should be a little nicer. The guy has 32 posts so it's not like he just signed up to ask about an XJ bodylift and maybe you just turned him off the Whole CJA idea.

Remember, if it says "CJA Executive" or "CJA members" below your name, you represent your club in your posts. And this is an open forum.

;D

Stick a sock in it buddy.

If someone is to illiterate, and or lazy to read an answer that is already there, what use does this club have for them.

You think Im going to pamper my responses to you guys because you may or may not be perspective members? Grow up.

I dont do it for the members, non members, and Im certainly not going to do it for someone like you.

My Mechanic Calgary
Mobile Auto Care
403-483-1083
[email protected]

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
must be tuesday eh Bill?

~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline maxpowerta

• Stocker
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 07:28:53 AM »
Hello, I am a new member here (and a new jeep owner) and I just came across this thread and thought i'd throw down my 2 cents.  As was stated here earlier the zinc issue has been well known in the muscle car community for many years.It is an issue with those engines as it is here for one reason, Flat tappet cams.New engines all  use roller valvetrain so the lack of zinc is no longer an issue, it has nothing to do with the quality of the oil you use or whether or not it is synthetic or even how often you change it! If it doesnt have enough ZDDP zinc in it it is not safe to use in a flat tappet engine. In the beginning everyone came to the conclusion that they could just run diesel oil and all would be well because Diesel still "had" sufficient quantities of the zinc or "ZDDP"  pressure additive. However in recent years because of increasingly tight EPA laws even those oils are having it steadily removed from them so you cannot rely on the "diesel oil is the solution" answer anymore. The only sure way to get the amount of zinc you need for your engine is to either use a zinc additive like the GM EOS supplement, or keep going back regularly to websites like "Bob is the oil guy" and see if the oil your using still contains as much as it used to from year to year.  As far as needing to be careful about using ZDDP additives because they are detrimental to catalytic converters, theoretically that is true and it is why the automakers started pushing to have the stuff removed from oil, However the reason is because of new US government regulations that force them to warrant their emmisions controls equipment for and dont quote me on this but i think 100000 miles, the problem is that as small amounts of oil slip past the rings in older engines,presumably  when they start getting up close to 100000 miles it gets burned and the zinc fouls the converter and makes them less effective. In a tight engine this should never be an issue. My point is Don't be misled into thinking that if you run zinc additive in your crank case your gonna instantly kill your cat, If it happens it will take a very long time.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 07:32:49 AM by maxpowerta »

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 08:43:33 AM »
...  I think this is a great way to attract new members to your club ....

Remember, if it says "CJA Executive" or "CJA members" below your name, you represent your club in your posts. And this is an open forum.

you need to stop pointing fingers at our (so called) CLUB.  nothing here or any other threads that you are involved in has anything to do with our CLUB. 

we are here to provide a meeting place for people to enjoy the activity they love.  we provide a forum to discuss, we provide a guideline to enjoying the activity in a safe and responsible manner.  we also organize activities and projects, etc.

that is what we are.  the fact that Billy (or anyone else here) rips you a new bunghole, well point the finger at yourself, not the CJA.

while the 'member' and 'exec' titles do represent the club, it certainly does not mean there is a leash on these people.

anyway, try to keep your discussions between yourself and whoever is ripping you one - leave the CLUB references out of it.

thanks
Management
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 09:04:34 AM »
you need to stop pointing fingers at our (so called) CLUB.  nothing here or any other threads that you are involved in has anything to do with our CLUB. 

we are here to provide a meeting place for people to enjoy the activity they love.  we provide a forum to discuss, we provide a guideline to enjoying the activity in a safe and responsible manner.  we also organize activities and projects, etc.

that is what we are.  the fact that Billy (or anyone else here) rips you a new bunghole, well point the finger at yourself, not the CJA.

while the 'member' and 'exec' titles do represent the club, it certainly does not mean there is a leash on these people.

anyway, try to keep your discussions between yourself and whoever is ripping you one - leave the CLUB references out of it.

thanks
Management

I admit I got a little worked up and lashed out. I apologize for that.

That said why is it so hard for tech threads to stay on topic?

And if you guys have a rule to be couteous on the road as to not represent your club badly, it would follow that courtesy on your boards couldn't hurt either.

I came here to discuss tech. Then it turned into a war. Foolishly, I took the bait, and I have since realized the error of my ways.

I was not trying to point fingers, just point out a basic fact which is that whatever organization you belong to, if you have that organization's name below yours, or on your shirt or business card, that your conduct can be construed as that of the organization, or at least may appear to be condoned by the organization.

I would hope that the CJA would expect it's members to be civil on their boards....and remember I wasn't talking about me...the post above was in regards to a newbie who asked a simple question in response to a complicated answer and was treated poorly. To me that's bad, but hey that's just me.

To all users of this forum I apologize for my role in the stupidity that has occured.
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:38 AM »
when i look at your name all i see below your pic is inapropriate language. what kind of message are trying to send to other people that read this board?

man if you have such a problem with the way the CJA members 'construe' themselves on their web forum, just stay off it.  you've come, talked your tech and angered most people that know anything about turning a wrench.

go play on NAXJA or one of the 100s of others you've said you are affiliated with.
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline dunl

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Red Deer Jeep Packrats
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »
I admit I got a little worked up and lashed out. I apologize for that.

That said why is it so hard for tech threads to stay on topic?

And if you guys have a rule to be couteous on the road as to not represent your club badly, it would follow that courtesy on your boards couldn't hurt either.

I came here to discuss tech. Then it turned into a war. Foolishly, I took the bait, and I have since realized the error of my ways.

I was not trying to point fingers, just point out a basic fact which is that whatever organization you belong to, if you have that organization's name below yours, or on your shirt or business card, that your conduct can be construed as that of the organization, or at least may appear to be condoned by the organization.

I would hope that the CJA would expect it's members to be civil on their boards....and remember I wasn't talking about me...the post above was in regards to a newbie who asked a simple question in response to a complicated answer and was treated poorly. To me that's bad, but hey that's just me.

To all users of this forum I apologize for my role in the stupidity that has occured.

It’s this type of response that gets people’s goat.  You apologize, but you have the need to get a dig out first before you do so. You’re so sorry…."but you guys don’t know how to run a message board either." ::)
`48 CJ2A, `54 CJ3B, `97 TJ, and 03 WJ...batting close to .500 when it comes to jeep models owned vs. jeep models created.....
Red Deer Jeep Packrats
www.reddeerjeep.com

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 11:08:40 AM »
when i look at your name all i see below your pic is inapropriate language. what kind of message are trying to send to other people that read this board?

man if you have such a problem with the way the CJA members 'construe' themselves on their web forum, just stay off it.  you've come, talked your tech and angered most people that know anything about turning a wrench.

go play on NAXJA or one of the 100s of others you've said you are affiliated with.

Again I guess I am unfamiliar with what you guys consider "appropriate".

Thanks for letting me know that you feel that "A Jeep Bastard" is inappropriate below my pic.

Funny how this gets brought up now despite having been there for years.

I am unsure if that is your personal opinion or if you are speaking in your official capacity, but it's no big deal either way, I don't want to offend anyone, I will remove it.

I'm not trying to pick fights with anyone. I have apologized both individually (to some) as well as to the forum in general for my lack of good judgement and for my contribution to the stupidity that has occurred. It would be nice if we could move on.

I did not say that *I* have a problem with how CJA members "construe" themselves...what I  said was that maybe it *should* be an issue for you guys...of course it's totally up to you if it is an issue or not, but to me it just makes sense that if you are trying to present a positive image with your conduct on the street and on the trail, that perhaps your members' conduct on here is something to consider as well. Again, just an opinion for you guys to consider, I am most certainly not trying to tell you how to run your club. It is up to you guys to decide what falls within the realm of "appropriate" but in my opinion, uneccesary cruelness to people simply trying to post up questions is less than ideal in a forum intended to build a jeep community.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:53 AM »
I didn't say you don't know how to run a message board.

I did say civility will go a long way, for a positive experience for all and for good PR.

I really wish we could talk about oil.
'10 JK unlimited

-Henry Ford

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 03:16:57 PM »
Used oil is black.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline Grease Nipple

• Budget Lift
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 03:46:04 PM »
Used oil is black.

but does it still have the zinc in it?

Offline Spinalguy

• Talks waaay too much!
    • http://www.spinalguy.com
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
Lets all cut jpthing some slack.
Very rarely do people make an apology. He did and therefore, lets all move on.
jpthing, i think you have taken note of how to post without being flamed. You started on the wrong foot but it appears
that you are trying to get the train back on the tracks. Kudos to you.

CJA is a club but as my good buddy Kevin Chan said to me back in 97...

Just because you drive a jeep doesn't mean i have to like you.

i am sure there are a few...err...many that i have fumed off over the years as a member of CJA, but i have tried really hard to correct my postings over the years and now just a few don't like me.

Cheers.
sent from my old school rotary dial phone.

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2010, 04:12:21 PM »
Used oil is black.

Does it smell any different than new oil?
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline Immortal

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »
Yep it does.
if we were smart with our money we wouldn't own Jeeps.
Here's your cup of STFU... ENJOY!

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2010, 04:22:06 PM »
Would you say it is very much less appealing, less appealing, about the same, the same, more appealing or smells terrific?
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.