Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Is your oil zinc-y enough?  (Read 10739 times)

Offline apeman

• Talks waaay too much!
  • not as grumpy
Re: Is your oil zinc-y enough?
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 03:23:21 AM »
Holy crap...I have been putting Zinc lozenges ( for colds) into my oil for the past 3 weeks now, and the difference is noticeable...i thought my engine ran okay fpor the first 375,000km without the zinc, but not that it is in there...WOW!!!...That extra 0.2% of zinc has reduced wear, oil consumption, and gave my engine that extra uumpphh my engine has been lacking.

I dont know how any 4.0l engine could go almost 400,000 km without the extra zinc??  I guess we are all lucky to have discovered this newfound revelation in jeep  salvation...

BTW..im kidding...this is garbage..so is this whole zinc issue...this thread needs more zinc so it can just keep going...and going.
Getting grumpier every day.
99 XJ - It's got sum stuff ,Noel free stuff..
98 ZJ - It's just ugly, but bigger than your Rubi

Offline Corey Kruchkowski

• Budget Lift
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2010, 10:47:58 PM »
So you think even ACEA type oils are not good enough?

exactly, ask me how I know this. Ok, no don't - I'll start crying again.

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2010, 01:44:29 PM »
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline jpthing

• UberWheeler
  • I like things with wheels.
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »
Holy crap...I have been putting Zinc lozenges ( for colds) into my oil for the past 3 weeks now, and the difference is noticeable...i thought my engine ran okay fpor the first 375,000km without the zinc, but not that it is in there...WOW!!!...That extra 0.2% of zinc has reduced wear, oil consumption, and gave my engine that extra uumpphh my engine has been lacking.

I dont know how any 4.0l engine could go almost 400,000 km without the extra zinc??  I guess we are all lucky to have discovered this newfound revelation in jeep  salvation...

BTW..im kidding...this is garbage..so is this whole zinc issue...this thread needs more zinc so it can just keep going...and going.

It's very likely that some of the 400k was on oil with higher zinc. If you're not worried then I guess you have nothing to worry about.

I thought this was an important topic, so I figured some might be interested. If you're not interested, not reading or not posting would be a more mature choice than ridiculing someone's contribution. I understand that Corey K is generally very highly respected by many in the CJA and he says it a major issue. If you disagree, then say so and explain why but to simply dismiss it as garbage reeks of prejudice and adds nothing to the discussion.
'97 TJ, 5" lift, 35's "Sprout"
'95 Xj, 4" lift, 33's Sold to the Bagman
'10 JK unlimited

"Whether you think you can or think you can't...you're right."
-Henry Ford

I'm finally over the Jeep bike debacle..

Offline Corey Kruchkowski

• Budget Lift
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »

The only reason your engine made 400K is because of the layers of zinc which built up on the metal/metal wear surfaces for the first half or 3/4 of it's life - back when zinc levels were high.
You also have a stock *boring* camshaft in your Jeep.

The problem is typically found in new engines put together recently, or the later model Jeeps - they didn't get 250K of zinc-rich oil.

I didn't imagine all the camshaft failures in 4.0L engines in the past 2-3 years, and yes it even happened to me.

The zinc creates a sacrificial layer, or a micro-bushing, whatever you want to call it - between the metal/metal surfaces. The place it is really needed in on the cam lobes.