Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tire sale at Costco  (Read 12424 times)

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
Tire sale at Costco
« on: February 26, 2010, 02:10:38 AM »
Just thought I would let everyone know,
the michelin and BFG sale is ending on sunday.
michelins are 17.50 off a tire and bfg's are 10.

starting on monday(march 1)
bridgestone is going on sale(until some time in april)
18.75 off a tire.

keep in mind our prices are very hard to beat for the tires we carry, and bridgestone has been very aggressive in the tire pricing.
bridgestones are not on the website for some reason. but you will likely not be disappointed by the prices.
the price we sell them for has made a few shops that I know of stop selling them as they can not compete with the prices.
I also expect michelin to drop prices soon on the michelins and BFG's.

no mud terrains in the bridgestones, but the revo 2 is available and from what I have heard it is a very nice AT tire.
it will be hard to find better bridgestone prices I think.

and it is not only truck tires, but on all tires.

have a nice day!

steve
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline FiEND

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Wrecking Ball
Re: Tire sale at Costco
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »
thanks for the headsup
1Wide2High
ILV2FRT
'97 TJ [sold]
'17 JK Rubicon

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
Check the tire tread depth. My Kat tire rep said he went in there and compared the tires against what he sells. He reported that many of the tires are made specially for Costco and had less tread depth or different speed ratings etc and aren't quite the same as what you get at a tire store. 

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:45 AM »
BINGO.

You'll notice that the cranking amps on Optima when they have them in are different sometimes as well.

Not all product are created equal, especially when you have massive chain stores coming up with thier own deals with manufacturers.
Shop smart. ;)

Offline JENSSEN

• Talks waaay too much!
    • Racing For The Cure
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 12:12:24 PM »
Same would go for Walmart Good Years that I am sure has caused quite a stir
www.racingforthecure.ca

Definition of Link to this definition of Blasphemy
1. [n] blasphemous behavior; the act of depriving something of its sacred character;

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 01:24:37 PM »
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline dac

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:08 PM »
This is not 'Nam, this is wheeling.  There are rules.

Offline w squared

• Talks waaay too much!
  • Keamy Hungry!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
You got that?

Once upon a time, it was required viweing at a school I went to. That and "Zulu".
I followed a rainbow out to a garage and found a leprichaun. The rainbow ended in a potted cactus on his porch, but there was no gold :(

Offline CatSplat

• Budget Lift
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »
Once upon a time, it was required viweing at a school I went to. That and "Zulu".

Your school was clearly awesome.
Jeep of Theseus

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:06 PM »
Check the tire tread depth. My Kat tire rep said he went in there and compared the tires against what he sells. He reported that many of the tires are made specially for Costco and had less tread depth or different speed ratings etc and aren't quite the same as what you get at a tire store. 

This is actually wrong sir.
they are the exact same tires(if the tires are supposed to be the same, they are the same)
the bfg km2 are bfg km2's.

there is not a difference at all.

now some of the tires are made specifically for us, the x-radial(sister to the destiny and harmony)
we will also get the x-radial LT exclusively at costco from what I hear(very close to the ltx m/s) but we will have the main tires that are the same.

so if it looks like it is the same, it is.

don't get caught up in that bull and think that they are not good because we get better deals than so many others.
I have heard this many times from people saying X tire shop said that they were seconds, or blems, of what have you just so they can try and sell the same tire for more.

I can asure you they are pulled from the same stock as every other tire store.
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »
they are the exact same tires(if the tires are supposed to be the same, they are the same)

now some of the tires are made specifically for us, the x-radial(sister to the destiny and harmony)
we will also get the x-radial LT exclusively at costco from what I hear(very close to the ltx m/s) but we will have the main tires that are the same.

don't get caught up in that bull and think that they are not good because we get better deals than so many others.
I have heard this many times from people saying X tire shop said that they were seconds, or blems, of what have you just so they can try and sell the same tire for more.

I figured as much. 

I have a costco membership, well, I dont think it has expired, however when I went in and asked about tires, I was told I could only purchase the same size as the door sticker indicated.  Could I get a set of 33x12.5x15 KM2's from Costco?  I am up in fort mac right now, so if you wouldnt mind shooting me a price that would be great.  I can provide you with my member ID if you need it.  If you send prices, can you send them before any discount?

I would get excited if you could get Toyos, but I can get them from Direct Buy too.

just a sec, I re-read the thread, and I am making the assumption you work there...do you?
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline frenchy

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 12:02:59 AM »

There is no denying the batteries (optima) are not the same.

Tires, well, let's see some proof.
get a picture of your depth guage in a BFG KM2 with the load range showing.
Jeep
With stuff

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 12:20:55 AM »
There is no denying the batteries (optima) are not the same.

Tires, well, let's see some proof.
get a picture of your depth guage in a BFG KM2 with the load range showing.

not handy no, I do have a set of km2's in a 31 at work.
I will have a look when I work on sunday
don't know if I can get the tread depth and the load range in the same picture though.

as for teh optima's, I know they do make different sizes with different cranking amps and so on.
but I think they should be the same for the same group size(this one I am not sure of, but what costco sells is usually the same, if not better than other places with most everything(or at least they try to make it that way))
I might try to make a few calls to check on the batteries though.

I figured as much.  

I have a costco membership, well, I dont think it has expired, however when I went in and asked about tires, I was told I could only purchase the same size as the door sticker indicated.  Could I get a set of 33x12.5x15 KM2's from Costco?  I am up in fort mac right now, so if you wouldnt mind shooting me a price that would be great.  I can provide you with my member ID if you need it.  If you send prices, can you send them before any discount?

I would get excited if you could get Toyos, but I can get them from Direct Buy too.

just a sec, I re-read the thread, and I am making the assumption you work there...do you?
I do work there, check costco.ca too, you can order by size I think now, no toyo's though.(I just checked the site, adn that size does not come up)

some limitations on sizes we can mount, but if you have them on there now, and some other things work out, you should be ok.
don't rub, hold enough weight, etc.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:40:09 AM by Zombie »

Offline cLAY

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
The conversation I had with the Kal tire tire rep was about 5-6years ago and the tires in question that he checked were BFG ATs, Yokohama Super Diggers and some performance tires that I don't recall. I talked with him directly and he said he measured them himself. Now he was a sales guy but he always treated us fairly and I've never had occasion to question his word before.

I too have had the inferior quality Optima battieries from Costco and wonder why a company would sell their product that way. The Optima name took a big hit from those batteries....

'93 ZJ, 5.2L, lifted/locked/36s..<gone>
'98 5.9er 4.10s,locked,LA,WJ knuckles

Offline Hi Lo Silver

• That CB Yapper
    • http://www.fourwheelstampeders.ca
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:34 PM »
Unfortunately, money talks when bulk purchases are made from the major chain stores. Manufactures are williing to take a blemish to thier name when they get an order of that magnitude. If they can sell 100,000 batteries to just one chain and that chain distributes them across the world, they still have that major sale.

We've been members of Costco for over 20 years I bet, and will continue to shop there but you have to be aware. We've even noticed canned food for instance being cheaper, but when you compare the can to others, they have a taper or smaller can in general  and carry less volume. Costco isn't the only store with these tactics. They all have them.