Calgary Jeep Association

Author Topic: Tire sale at Costco  (Read 12423 times)

1988 Cherokee

Re: Tire sale at Costco
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2010, 01:12:00 PM »
I dont have a membership to costco but want to get one sooner or later.
Its good to know this information so I can keep an eye open for it when I make purchases.

Offline dubbleJs

• Talks waaay too much!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
I was told I could only purchase the same size as the door sticker indicated.  Could I get a set of 33x12.5x15 KM2's from Costco? 

When I bought 31" MT's at costco I kindof went through the same thing. But it isnt that you cannot buy them, cause that would make no sense...it's that they will not mount a tire that is a certain % bigger than the OEM recommended size. I bought them there and mounted them elsewhere.
'91 XJ - 3" procrap - cutout for 33" MT's  - More and more dents every run...Sold.
'98 XJ - Lifted, locked and lovin' it

Offline parabs

• That CB Yapper
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 05:19:22 PM »
When I bought 31" MT's at costco I kindof went through the same thing. But it isnt that you cannot buy them, cause that would make no sense...it's that they will not mount a tire that is a certain % bigger than the OEM recommended size. I bought them there and mounted them elsewhere.

When I had my supercrew I had 20's on it with 305/55's.  Stock rim in that year was an 18" with 275/65's or something.  I said, how much, she said, no.  Being it didnt even show a 20" tire as OEM she didnt want anything to do with it.  It is the only time I ever asked....but it makes sense to buy there and install elsewhere...
2000 TJ Sahara - Sold
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Bassani Exhaust
2007 Harley Davidson F150 - Nothing to note.

Offline RckyMtnTJ

• UberWheeler
    • http://www3.telus.net/lck
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 09:09:30 PM »
Here's some pics I have.  Now they aren't quite apples to apples.  The first pictures are of my spare tire that just got rotated in with my 4 new Costco tires.  It has less than 500km on it.  It was from a shop called Fast Tire here in Lethbridge and is about 7 years old.  The other pictures are of my Costco tires I got this last summer and have approx 3000-4000 km on them.  Both tires are BFG AT KO's.

Old Tire:

New Tire

Old Tire:

New Tire:

Old Tire:

New Tire:

Overview:
So the sidewall and tread is the same, but the new Costco tires also have 2 nylon tread.  That may be true with the BFG boughten elsewhere in 2009

The tread depth on the 500km tire has just shy of 13mm while the 3000-4000km tires has right about 12mm

Both tires are Load Range C, but the Costco tire is 20lbs higher at 2620lbs vs 2600lbs on the older tire.

I would imagine the only difference between the tires is the age.  Ones boughten elsewhere in the summer of 2009 would likely be identical. 

98 TJ 4" lift + goodies

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
from one of my other posts

many things have changed
especially for smaller suv's and trucks that do not require LR E tires.
and you can get mud terrains, higher load indexes are ok, speed ratings on the big wheeling jeep are not usually a problem(unless you started with the srt8 maybe), and we can go to bigger sizes.

Costco has had some policy changes that make buying bigger tires for jeeps much easier.

their are some restrictions
1. they can't rub(at least while on flat ground, hard lock to hard lock, or be very very close to rubbing)
if they do rub with articulation, the tires are yours anyway, which most people are good with, and will mod the jeep to get them not to.
2. we have to be able to inflate to the placecard air pressure(even if you would actually run a little higher or lower)
3. the tires have to be able to hold the same if not more weight than the stock tires.
4.they can not be too wide or narrow for the rim.

costco can usually get companies to make products specifically for them, but they will usually be better(that is what they try for)

I will call on the battery thing though.
I know all our batteries are from johnson controls or something like that.
I will try to call on that on monday when the buyers are in.

but I just got this back from the people at optima batteries

"Hello Steven

An Optima sold at Costco is the same product that could be purchased at any other retail location. Their inventory may vary depending on what group sizes they carry but the overall product is the same.

Thank you,
Adam
Optima Customer Service"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:27:01 AM by Zombie »
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »
a 31x10.5r15 has 19/32 of tread.
my phone would not pick up the measurement.
but it was the same as the book said it should be
 :)
97 Red XJ, 4.5", 31" mud's, ARB front, 9500lb winch, bushwhacker's, warn sliders, HnT SYE and CV drive shaft - written off and sold for parts :(

1988 Cherokee

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 11:12:39 PM »
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/all_terrain_ta_kd.pdf

bfg at ko are 16 or 16.5 to the 32nd, my eyes are going cant stay straight going across the line.
That is for bfg so other makes are probably different

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2010, 02:42:34 AM »
sorry, that was for the bfg KM2, not the ATKO.  I did not specify, but I had referred to the KM2's in an earlier post.

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:07 AM »
hey Steve we'll proably be comin in for some 31s for the girlfriends TJ tomorow.  Bridgestone Dualler ATs 695s.
can you hook us up ;)
~ rescue green JKUR on 35s.  typical rubicon build

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 10:39:58 PM »
I don't have them in stock.

if they are available, we can usually get them in in a week.

best thing to do is just drop by and order them.

does it have 31's on it now?

just want to make sure they will fit without rubbing(that means we could not put them on, which is no fun.

steve

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »
I don't have them in stock.

if they are available, we can usually get them in in a week.

best thing to do is just drop by and order them.

does it have 31's on it now?

just want to make sure they will fit without rubbing(that means we could not put them on, which is no fun.

steve

sales guy said it'd be no problem to mount em up on a stock TJ....................

Offline Zombie

• UberWheeler
  • Jeff the Zombie Jeep
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 11:18:18 PM »
might fit, I don't know TJ's very well.
I tried a 2000 ish that came with 30's, and the 31's rubbed the front sway bar, and by rub I mean the bar sat in between the tread blocks.
if the steering stops are adjusted enough, it should not be a big problem.
some rubbing should be expected when going bigger(mainly at full travel)

i guess I don't really have to tell you any of this as you would be one who would know,
but I have to give the blurb.

Offline Eagle Jeeper

• Budget Lift
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
How about some 285/70/17 Dueller Revos.  Price and availability

Thanks
94 YJj7, AMC360,T176,Dana300(twin stick, Dana 44 4:56, 14 bolt FF welded 4:56, 2 1/2" susp SOA, 38/12.5/15 TSL's, warn 8274,  Custom dash

Offline JackstandJohnny

• Talks waaay too much!
  • where Jeeps go to die
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
might fit, I don't know TJ's very well.
I tried a 2000 ish that came with 30's, and the 31's rubbed the front sway bar, and by rub I mean the bar sat in between the tread blocks.
if the steering stops are adjusted enough, it should not be a big problem.
some rubbing should be expected when going bigger(mainly at full travel)

i guess I don't really have to tell you any of this as you would be one who would know,
but I have to give the blurb.

thats fine. i can just yell at the sales guy ;)

Offline Justink

• Budget Lift
  • '89 comanche 5'' lift, 33's
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »
Or what about some 31x10.5x15 general grabber at2's?  or some BFG at's in the same size
'89 Comanche 5'' 33's, dana 44 playtoy
'91 cherokee 4.5'' 31's DD
'88 Nissan 300zx just for fun
If it seems like a good idea at the time it probably isn't!